What's the point of getting gears like MPC today?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by korehanandesyou, Feb 8, 2022.

1. korehanandesyou

korehanandesyou Noisemaker

OK I know it sounds like trolling but I'm really just curious.
    I know it was a legend, but today isn't a laptop with software DAWs, maybe some midi controller, covers everything it capable of, and even cost less and does much more? I'm just really don't get why AKAI still making it, and people still buying it.

3. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Generally an MPC is still more reliable for live use and on-stage triggering.

1) It's simpler, the OS only does one thing, there are no other apps or nasty interference from dodgy software and within the limits it imposes there are less things to go wrong.

2) Some people prefer the workflow and the simplicity and that tactile nature of instruments knobs and pads.

3) It's more portable and optimized to the task than a tablet with simple outputs and inputs and gets along with other stage gear and PA systems.

4) Enough people like enough and are buying them for AKAI to keep making them so why stop making them if they make money.

4. chuckens

chuckens Ultrasonic

My friend just got the Akai one. He wanted to go down the Dawless route. It's a serious piece of kit for the price. Now I want one!! ;-)

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

timing doesn't get much more solid. people love the swing. iirc many of the later models have MIDI a/b, meaning two sets of 16 channels.

the answer to the question is that it greatly depends on the model. I mean the 3000 and prior.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

mpc is a standalone instrument , its limitations and the ability to just plug and play and learn the details and tricks and how to make something with what you have is so appealing to alot of people , it cuts the bullshit and makes you focus on just making music

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I had the same question a couple weeks ago, I'm getting into Lofi music more and more and the thought of using a sampler or drum machine naturally crossed my mind. Aight...the thing is, nowadays you can literally do almost everything just using your Hello Kitty's earbuds and a shitty laptop BUT (big big but)....(emphasis on "but") hardware provides a different type of workflow, one that can actually lead you to certain types of results way faster than doing everything from the bottom up on a DAW or whatever software.

Picture it like this: it's like using a computer, if you want to surf the web and play stuff on Steam it's way easier to just use boot up Windows instead of setting your own Linux build and later setting Wine (I don't even know if Wine is still used) or whatever. Notice that both can work the same for the most part but the later takes a bit more skill and effort (depending on the Linux build). That's why I guess people sometimes feel better using a piece of hardware for some tasks.

Now, I'm not saying it is better, just that it can be easier and more fun to use an MPC instead of a VST sampler to some people. I definitely want to try an MPC someday (so if you guys want to recommend one, I'd love to know).

8. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

To make music, and don't be drown in mountain of software and plugins, this is why i'm using old samplers, octamed and cubase 2, to make music, limitations force you to get creative, it's the same principle for the mpc imho
    mpc do something to what you put in, all these old stuff, like sp1200, mpc60 etc these machines sound just good

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

I just restored an Akai Z8 rack sampler. It has less features than many available software samplers and it certainly takes longer to edit a sample (although, I usually use a software editor for more intricate labours).

Why would I bother with such a thing? Including all the aforementioned good points from the other guys above, it comes down to two things (maybe three) things for me.

Firstly, having a physical, dedicated machine whose purpose is in executing very specific tasks (such as creating a drum kit with samples) has a psychological aspect to it. I've invested time into getting the machine set up just right for my workflow and there is something very satisfying about that. The interaction with that particular machine becomes sentimental on some level. Of course, you can have the same experience with a piece of software - no doubt about that. Some people just connect better with a piece of gear that physically occupies space, is connected with a monetary and psychological investment, and has quirks of its own. Simple, really.

Secondly, there are plenty of people who don't like using regular personal computers and who, similarly to what I mentioned above, prefer to sit down with a machine that performs specific tasks and performs them very well. I don't know about you guys, but I seriously struggle with distractions invading my creative flow and prefer not to have any internet connectivity or other non-musical interferences in my workspace.

The other night I had to stay up late and monitor a ceramics kiln whose heating element was failing. I stayed alone until 4am at the ceramic artist's studio. Fortunately, I brought an Elektron Digitakt with me and NOT my laptop. Yes, I could have brought a laptop that can also sequence drum samples - along with many other endless options that I could have been distracted by. Instead, I had this one little piece of gear that is specifically dedicated to one, primary task: building sampled [drum] phrases. Because of the specific limitations of that machine, it acts like a train railroad, keeping you on task and not distracted with endless possibility.

With that said, other people have less trouble focusing while using computers for every task. Whatever, that's fine too. At least for me, having these little limitations in place helps pull the creativity out of me. I like having dedicated machines for dedicated tasks. It keeps me organized and works best (and Lord knows I've tried just about everything short of therapy!) :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

It's honestly one of these questions like... why purchase hardcopy books when you could just get an e-reader? I don't know, just think about it. There are plenty of reasons that may not immediately occur to you, but might be rather important for others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

I've used the 2kxl for a long time and i enjoy using it more than my X.
    For me it just comes down to being able to rock a standalone and get away from the computer.
    Computers crash (mine just did). Never had that problem with any of the mpcs i've owned.
    Clicking away with a mouse on a laptop or desktop is cool but banging pads and really digging into the features of an mpc is what makes it enticing,fun and well worth the time and money.

12. stoiximan

stoiximan Platinum Record

Hands on control, portability and you dont get distracted just focus on the music.I got my eye on an Akai Force or the Mpc One still havent decided.

13. ptepper

ptepper Kapellmeister

In terms of functionality, an MPC offers just a part of what one can do with a laptop, but it comes in a dedicated unit, with tightly integrated hardware and software, both optimised for that subset of functions. Apart from general reliability, durability, resistance to obsolescence, unbeatable tactile experience (just try editing with one hand on the rotary encoders, the other on the touch screen), it's also much, much easier on the eyes.

Also, the converters in the new MPCs are very good. The hardware alone (AD/DA, MIDI I/O, pads, encoders) is almost worth the asking price.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022