what's the cheapest solution? Two guitars into a laptop

Discussion in 'PC' started by MarkyMW, Aug 20, 2021.

1. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Can I split my guitar signal with a simple Y cable split and send one to either a mic input our to a usb input to be able to record one guitar on two tracks? And it this is possible will the sound be any good?

My setup is simply guitar into scarlett solo, (only one guitar input) or I go guitar into pedals then a little amp and into the solo. Either way then from the solo into laptop and reaper.

I'd like to be able to simultaneously record two tracks one direct and clean and one with my pedals.

EDit
    There is a mic socket in the scarlett and I do have a spare usb port so I was thinking maybe split the signal and use one of them...?
    Edit end

I've been going over this for a while and can't find any info other than spending more money than this would be worth (an active di box and a new interface with two 1/4" inputs), there may well be good reason for not being able to find any info on a solution other than new equipment.... but I thought I'd ask you what may well be a stupid question...

ssoo please chip in with any insights or experience on the cheap and easy solution. .. If there is one...

3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Guitar signal is analog, USB is digital, you can't connect analog to digital without going through something (like an audio interface) that converts analog to digital. There are some in-line converters that allow you to connect audio to USB quickly, but the price is about the same as a cheap DI box.

Di box would be the cheapest and best solution in this scenario.

I'm curious tho, this little amp you have, are you micing it or are you using some sort of output from the amp?

edit: that last question was pretty dumb, but there are some ways of connecting the amp directly to an interface, most of them are in the form of 1/4" connectors, but with some cable magic you could force it into the mic preamp and leave the instrument input of the interface free to use with a ABY pedal of sorts. But this method is not hazard free and you would really be better off with a cheap DI box.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  4. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Ah yes forgot to say, it has a simulated output, so I just go from the amp with that to the guitar input. It's a little palmer eins (no speaker). Quite a good little thing and sits on my desk.:wink:

although maybe there is a way to get one of those outputs into a mic input?
    Edit
    Palmer eins
    Output impedance
    Speaker out: 8 & 16 ohms, simulated out: 4k, HiZ out: 3.3M Ohm(s)

I have no idea what any of that means, but is that maybe useful...?
    Edit

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  5. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Ah ha.... Ok.... BUT my interface has only one 1/4" input.... So what do you reckon...?

6. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

DI box.

7. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Ok got it.

now you're going to think I'm really stupid but how will I get two signals into my scarlett solo? It has one input for guitar?

sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't know the answer. I get that a di box splits the signal but what about the interface with only one input...? Sorry again if this is dumb but I can't get my head around that bit...

thanks

8. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I was talking about my own question, yours aren't dumb at all.

Di's will basically turn your guitar signal into something similar to a mic signal (not really, but you'll get the same type of signal and the same connector as a mic) so you will be able to connect the main output of the DI box into the mic preamp of the interface. Aside from that, DI's will "clone" the input signal from your guitar and offer another output (labeled as "thru") that you can then route through your normal chain and connect the Hi-Z output of the amp into the interface's intrument input.

In the end you'll have a clean signal going through the mic preamp, and a processed one going through the instrument input, all at the same time.

Just remember. DO NOT use the amp's speaker outputs on anything that isn't a speaker or special hardware that works with that kind of signal.

9. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Fwiw maybe you could capture the second Clean guitar signal with the integrated soundcard of your computer,
    be it the mic or line input..

Surely not the best sounding converters,
    but maybe on par with cheap usb<>jack dongles..
    (volume level could be a factor tho)

Other than that you would need an interface with more inputs, or a second interface,
    or even a guitar multifx unit (like a Pod) with USB connection..

Some DAWs can take/use multiple devices, some don't..
    But you could always make a virtual aggregate device with ASIO4All

10. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Thank you, THANK you, THANK YOU...

I've read A LOT about splitting a guitar signal and your answer boil it all down AND adds the important bits.

Genius explanation...! :like:

Any recommendations for a home recording small budget...?

11. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Samson MD1 and MDA1, Whirlwind IMP2, Behringer Ultra DI. Those should be around the same price as cheap guitar pedals.

Active Di's are ideal for guitars with passive pickups, but passive DI's will work just fine in most cases.

12. Colin

Colin Producer

Is the input jack stereo or mono? I looked up the specs of your interface but they don't say whether the jack is stereo or mono. Just a thought.

13. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

As your guitar only is 1 mono signal and also the output from your pedal effect is 1 mono signal, and your Scarlett Solo has 1 Stereo instrument input, you could use a 2x6,35mm mono audio jack to 1x6,35 stereo audio jack cable. Then simply record via USB. The one channel will have the clean signal, the other channel will have the pedal effects signal.

I mean such a cable.
    https://www.amazon.de/3mm-Stereo-Klinke-auf-Mono/dp/B000T8A84G

14. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

What I understand is that you want to record the same guitar take into two channels at once. What I do (very often) is record a guitar track and duplicate it. Then you can use different fx´s in the 2 channels, pan as you like it, etc.

15. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

I just checked the manual (great idea about the stereo.!) but the manual says
    Analogue Input 2
    Connector
    ¼” (6.35 mm) jack socket on front panel
    Instrument mode: Unbalanced, 2-pole
    Line input mode: Balanced, 3-pole

so no mention of this being stereo...

True and I do this, and if the part is easy enough sometimes double it by recording, but I often just improvise and I was trying to get to use my pedals, because I like them, but then I sometimes wish I had recorded a clean take as well.... You know improvised first take is sometimes difficult to get the feel again... I know I should practice more

That sound perfect I'll take a look at it right now.... Thank you

Brilliant..! I'll take a look at all these right now... and thank you for all the help :hug:

Thank you all for your input ...! I can finally use my pedals AND get a clean signal without spending a fortune!

Thanks again
    I LOVE this forum !! :mates::cheers:

16. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Hi guys - as a final note I've looked into all the ideas and I've taken @mk_96 's advice and ordered a Behringer Ultra-DI DI100 DI Box and a 3 Pin XLR Male to Female Microphone Cable.

Thanks again

17. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

(just realized scarlett solo has two inputs so yeah, no probs)

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer - 48 €
    8 Channel mixer
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer...iZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

Mackie Mix5 - 45 €
    5-Channel Compact Mixer
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_mi...iZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

Mackie 402 VLZ4 - 89 €
    4-Channel MixerThe 4-channel 402VLZ4 mixer features Mackies renowned Onyx preamps and extreme Compact design.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_40...iZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

19. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

yeh, thanks to @mk_96 I finally got my head around how to get a guitar into both a mic and a line in at the same time AND via different paths. Can't wait to give it a go :wink:

20. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Hey thanks for the ideas and the links! I've just ordered a Di dox, but thanks for the links