Whats The Bottleneck On my system for 4K (2160p) 10bit 60 fps video?

Discussion in 'PC' started by DJSabreblade, Oct 21, 2015.

1. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Hi,

I Have i7-4790k, 16gb 1600 mhz, HD-7870.. over 6TB in hard drives (1 external SSD)

Im thinking its my shitty video card. Time to upgrade to Titan X (lol xD not going to happen anytime soon.)

EDiT. : certain small 0-1gb 4k 60fps video files play fine with potplayer. but anything full length 5+ gb 4K 60FPS choke even on potplayer. I was wondering if there is a player that can really optimize 4k 60fps specifically without me having to upgrade. that would be awesome but i think thats still years off anyway.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

*Regualer 23-30fps 4K video (normal fps) plays fine however. :)

4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

What software/codecs are you using to play your vidya file, and what's the detailed specs of your vidya file [use mediainfo]?

5. recycle

recycle Guest

This is a common problem: the reality is that most people’s computers aren’t really ready for 4K playback. You’ll need a fast and furious workstation to handle 4k playback or :suicide:EDITING:suicide:

6. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Yep, its your graphics card. The hdmi and displayport interfaces are old spec and will only do about 24fps at 4k. To do 60fps @ 4k you need a card with HDMI 2.0 or displayport needs to be 1.3, not 100% sure on the latest displayport though.

7. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

So definatly a frickin TiTAN-X would do 60 frames per second on 4K. I can do 1080p on 60 fps no problem using a player called Splash Pro Ex. Its an awesome player with True Motion support. Its curretnly my favorite player. That and Pot Player. Pot player can do avisynth scripts..

@
    junh1024 i cant say the specs because i dont have the file on this netbook i am typing on. Its A file called.. Channel 4K The World Heritage Site Detail of the Earth planet (2160P HEVC 10bit 60fps) I can play about 30 SECONDS @around 40fps with minor dips at a time before it chokes to about half speed and the audio will stutters all over the place.

BUT interestingly a short rabbit film called : Big Buck Bunny (look on Kickass Torrents) 4K 60fps will play flawlessly on mpc-hc, mpc-be, etc.. and not even on my ssd. just on the 7200 rpm hd.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  8. joem

joem Producer

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

As you can see, not all 4K60p is the same. The first is 10-bit H.265. The second could be 8-bit H.264 or 8-bit H.265 or anything else, see

Big Buck Bunny 4K UHD HFR 60fps FLAC WEBDL 2160p X264 ZMachine
    Big Buck Bunny 4K UHD HFR 60fps DTS-HD MA WEBRip 2160p X265 ZMachine

https://kat.cr/usearch/Big Buck Bunny/

I'll just put here 3 parts of the video playback process:

[read] > {decode} > {render}

Decoding may be performed in software or hardware.

More bitdepth = more processing required. Increasing these things also increase decode processing resources: bitrate, resolution, bframes. H.265 may generally be more intense to decode than H.264.

The greatest videocard in the world will NOT help you to play a certain video smoothly if the decode part of the video card is not compatible with your video file. Therefore, if you get video, it will have to be software (CPU) decoded. IF you get choppy video then, therefore you may need to get a better CPU or upgrade your software to a more efficient software. And not all software/settings can/use GPU decoding.

TrueMotion sounds like motion interpolation algorithm. Again, is that done on the CPU, or GPU? read up.

Also, please read up on your file, and GPU specifications.

10. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Maybe it is your anti-virus if you have one on that machine. They all suck way to much CPU. I took it off of my music machine because at idle it sucked at least 10%.

11. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Thanks for the info. :) Jun you are right the one that plays fine is the 4K 60FPS X264 Flac one, seems like i read that a better video card will improve HEVC and X265 performance. I have all the latest good players.. VLC, MPC-BE, MPC-HC, POTPLAYER, SPLASH PRO EX, Also there is no way i have internet or anti virus on my music machine.

The Cpu uses 60-75% on all 60fps 4K i have tried so far.. that included HEVC, X265, 10bit etc..
    Its interesting its still not completely maxing it out, someone said you needed an octa-core to play them properly, but with the latest players such as Pot Player its possible on a quad core. But you need a rockstar video card. ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  12. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

7870 chews HD video for breakfast with little to no effort. That's actually good middle range gaming card.