What's The Best Way to Learn to Play Chords? (Piano)

Discussion in 'Education' started by user1293435134, Aug 24, 2021.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Beats - Pattern - Rhythm - Music Styles - Guide http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/contact.htm

Electropop - Instruments • Keyboards • Electric Guitar • Bass Guitar • Acoustic Guitar • Personal Computer • Vocoder • Tape Loops • Drum Machine • Drum Kit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021

Attached Files:

2. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I actually spend more time searching for notes outside of conventional music structure than for those that fit. The magic happens with these outside notes. The problem with generative chord machines is they're usually too in-key. Even famous pop songs (the good ones) will probably utilise something a little out of a key. There really aren't any rules if you want to be original, even in pop music despite much of it sounding the same these days (to my ancient ears). Also, the closer notes are together in the scale/octave the more they clash when they go outside of the scale you're using - but you can easily play a high F note with a low E note. I like to try to do things like that.

All of that's just the theory though. A lot of 'producers' today have never worked in a band, they might be great metal guitar solo fiends but have never played live, same goes for all instruments. They miss the communication element, playing to an audience and reacting to what your fellow band mates are playing. A band is a living thing that includes the audience. I think this is important because although I mentioned simple parts there are many different ways of playing those parts. You don't really hear much sequenced music playing with the beat in the sense of laying back, pushing it etc., and that also happens with all the instruments in a band, usually subconsciously, sometimes deliberately. There was nothing I liked playing better live than scanning a chord through a reggae song, but when I recorded the same on a computer I found it a sterile experience and the result usually lacks the vibrancy of playing the same thing live. Good music breathes. You can't learn this, you have to experience it.

If you don't play with other musicians consider doing so.

I think the bigger picture is whatever you want it to be. The interesting part of music is the difference between all of our individual pictures. Sometimes computer production feels more like Painting by Numbers and that's a shame.

3. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

There are tons of modal pieces in Pop music. Maybe not in Locrian but the rest...

Learn by functions instead cuz audiation ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_music_learning_theory#Audiation ) is way more crucial than being able to play a thousand arpeggios - Google "ear training chord progression" and pick what works best for you

Play cadences, start with simple ones, practice them in all keys, thats how you stabilize a tonality, not by playing all scale degrees in order

4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual