What's the best studio desk (or desk feature) you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Bunford, Apr 14, 2024.

1. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Before I furnished my room, I made a drawing with all the equipment in it and measurements. But the first step is - imagine you working with it and adjust everything on paper the way you think it should be like.

or you'll end up with an Imperial Fighter in your room. :rofl:

Honestly, a good number of these tables remind me of Star trek command bridge, too. Which is not necessarily bad...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

there's plenty of room to eat lunch on that thing.....

4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It's just "Schwanzus longus". Sterile, nothing personal. To me, it looks like a studio for a gynecologist.

P.S.: Once again you can clearly see that even a lot of money can't buy good taste.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  5. Garamondo Furbish

i take it you work in a totally dark room? what about the fan noise from the projector?

6. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

7. Orglblork

Orglblork Ultrasonic

The last 2 years I've been on more of a "no desk" kinda thing. At one point I became aware of the reflections I was hearing off my old desk. It was a nasty spike at 2.1 khz. I was chasing the spike around in my mixes before I realized. So I gave that desk to my wife and built something with only enough surface area to put a keyboard, mouse, Apollo twin and a monitor controller. The surface is also tilted so as to keep any further reflections from hitting my ears. My speakers are on speaker stands and my video monitor is a 55" tv about 6 feet away. The downside is, it can be a little cramped but I also really like the minimalism of it.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  8. Garamondo Furbish

my first studio was a roland vs-1680 and a computer inside an armoire. I could shut everything inside and you didn't even know it was there.
    very minimal but lots of fun, wrote a bunch of songs on that and got to understand how to record my guitar and voice. It had a pull out drawer i put the computer keyboard and mouse on. at the base I made a 19" rack about 6 units high to hold some outboard gear. Still have it but haven't used it much since i moved on to the zoom r24 track and a different computer set up.

I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it...

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

How you liking that r24?

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

What I've been toying with past day or two is similar in design concept to that Buso Audio Producer XL, just without the speaker shelves to get more rack space as my monitors will be on stands behind the desk. It also accommodates 88 key keyboard up to 1400mm and 400mm deep and the black bit is a section that will be a leather padded arm rest. Still refining all the legs though, and trying to build in optional further rack space, if required, into the legs. The overall dimensions is around 2460mm wide and 800mm deep.

upload_2024-4-17_9-1-43.png

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  11. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

So I guess, something like this? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently in the market for a new desk, so I've been checking what companies have to offer. This is something I found recently. The company is based in Poland and the price is 6,000 PLN (~1,381 EUR).

See this:
    https://www.olx.pl/d/oferta/biurko-...mat-CID628-IDSIN02.html?reason=seller_profile
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089920711844

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Similar maybe, but slight differences. My racks are 8U not 12 and the front is flat, not the 3 angled lines as in this one, all with the intention of having enough desk space to house my MIDI devices on the desk top.

13. Garamondo Furbish

love it, they discontinued it. I'm considering buying a backup, but i'm knee deep in zoom recorders, 4 of the r8's, an 4r16 and an h4n are living with me currently. well if I see one for under 150$ i'll grab it..

the r24 is great, much better than the r16, the software (firmware) and process are completely different. The r24 is like 2 buttons to arm and record, then do it again on more tracks, the r16 you have to move the tracks, there are limited routing options so you have to move the tracks off the dedicated tracks that have the hi-z inputs linked to them. a big flaw in my book, however it can be used for physical control interface in Reaper and other daws.. so it does have its place

14. Garamondo Furbish

angled is easier to work with, and you put blanking plates in a 12u, until the Gear Acquistion Syndrome fills those empty slots. better to have room for expansion than to be slammed up against the wall and wondering what to get rid of to make room....

15. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

How big is your room?

[​IMG]

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

pheew, it's actually part of my job, can't imagine desks not being perfect,
    I can send you some pics in pm if you want,

generally speaking, you want to make it fit into the room, because it's an acoustical and ergonomics compromise in first place,
    high quality lacquered plywood is much more durable than medium density fiberboard with a foil,
    then you want to consider whether to utilize movable racks for additional gear, or overspend on various cutouts,
    then if you want flexible cable routing options or sturdy (wooden or metal) cable tunnels,
    also think about overall dimensions (limited by standard board sizes) of eventually combining multiple boards with properly designed supports,
    ideally avoid any wobbly parts like trays, rails etc...
    depending on workflow, plan ergonomics - my preferred layout is keyboard+mouse in the middle, no mixer or midi keyboard on desk itself,
    don't underestimate proper desk height, which depends on your seat height - this becomes more tricky if multiple various people work in one studio
    ideally don't put monitors (speakers) on desk, almost always you get better sound with speakers on dedicated stands, further away,
    do plan monitors (displays) to be comfortable for work (eyesight, again more tricky if multiple people work there, then desk arms are basically mandatory for easy adjustments) without blocking listening (hence why speakers on stands above are more flexible option as well),
    if you absolutely need some rack gear, it's often more convenient to have dedicated wooden (because casual "thin" metal tends to resonate and other issues..) rack (not mandatory to be on wheels) without cluttering desk itself - that said, it can be part of the desk support (instead of some useless legs/tubes),
    last but not least, don't underestimate easy maintenance and functionality, not just from materials standpoint, but also light/temperature/humidity conditions of the room, not only colours may change in long-term direct sunlight, but also aggressive colours may create unpleasant atmosphere - my preferred choice is natural wooden finish combined with non-wooden black elements (some people like white, which gets dirty easily; or crazy colours, which may not fit the vibe of acoustics or gear in room)
    :chilling:

17. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

18. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

There is room for expansion at 12U per leg in the bottom legs of my current design. So my desk has a total of 16U on top and 24U in legs, and if I ever get to a point of needing more than 40U of space, I'll be bankrupt well before that! :rofl:Mine are also angled, as you can see in above photo of idea sketching.

19. Always Grateful

Always Grateful Kapellmeister

Behringer Wing best studio desk watch this.

20. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

angled rack legs are a big no, if you want to put some shelves or drawers there, even lay a PC without rack-mounting..

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List