Whats The Best Rhodes VST? (for sound not features)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by remix, Oct 21, 2015.

1. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Indeed, with Lounge Lizard I learned that there's no "best and only" but a rather wide choice of virtual EPs and samples available, each with their own character. While the Rhodes are covered quite well, I'm still looking for a Wurlitzer EP that really shines.
    Should I call it organic? :dunno:
    It's hard to explain - when an instrument is great, playing it will make me smile. I have a Grand Piano that does it, I have a Rhodes that does it, but no Wurly yet...

2. Strangelove

Strangelove Member

Could I possibly get them too, I wasn't quick enough on the original post?

3. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

I have the opposite situation. I think Broken Wurli "does it", but I'm yet to hear the final piano and Rhodes. Which worked for you?

and which Wurlitzers have you checked out so far? what tone are you after? I might have some suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Thanks for your offer!

Pianos: Best Service Galaxy Vintage D, 8dio 1969, Hammersmith (chosen by context)
    Rhodes: MK1 Stage Premier 96k, S.C. EP73, EVP88, GSI MrRay

I have tried S.C. Broken Wurli, Tubelitzer (both nice but imho something's missing), Adam Monroe Wurlitzer and MrTramp. Ah yes, and Neo Soul Keys 3.
    Tone is hard to describe - not aggressive but with bite when played hard, "organic", "wooden", and ideally with a few good sonic variations to choose from.
    Neo Soul Keys 3 has some, but the percussive attack/release sounds are a bit too obvious and static and do not integrate well with the sustained samples, so increasing the dials over 15% will sound unnatural.
    After listening to the new Spectrasonics Keyscape demo, the sampled Wurli model 140 sounds like a great one - unfortunately with Keyscape it's "buy all or nothing and don't you try before!".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Not always. Sometimes it is worth looking at the sister site, although it may be a while (if at all)

6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I'm sure there will be a way to try it very soon, just be patient.

7. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Applied Acoustics Lounge Lizard is certainly one of the best and more usable, flexible.

9. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

fiction

There's not too many Wurlitzers out there, so I guess I'll just list the ones I know.

First link includes 140B model apart from 200A and Pianet N/T as well. It was released today.

I'm pretty sure you know Scarbee, Toontrack, Acousticsamples Wurlie, Pianoteq el. piano addons, AIR Velvet, so I think it would be redundant to post their links.

Spitfire has just released North 7 library that has Wurlitzer included, and it sounds something like this

Hope it helped find the sound you've been looking for.

10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

11. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

Tines collection from Purgatory Creek

Included:
    • Sparkletop - rare model from the 1960s.
    • Mark I - 1975 marked the golden era for these tine pianos.
    • Mark II – 1980 was the height of popularity.
    • Mark V - final production model with numerous enhancements.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/page15/page24/index.html

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Wow, what an impressive list indeed. You gave me some reading matter.
    And I thought I've done some good research already :unsure:
    THANK YOU! :wink:

I'm surprised that Spitfire came up with something in the league of Keyscape at about the same time.
    And I didn't know that Purgatory Creek has Wurlis... I used to listen to their piano shootout samples a lot, years ago (and learned that there is no such thing as "the best Grand Piano" ;-)

BTW, from the hints of previous posts I've spent some time with Lounge Lizard and MrTramp again, and after some adjustments and plugin latency fixes (guess the plugin-reported values are just wrong), by carefully mixing/filtering them and adding to a sampled Wurli, I might be able to synthesize my favorite sound.
    The ideal solution would probably be a collection of separate, purely percussive attack + release sample sets and a number of Wurli wavetables for the sustained notes, so I could freely control the otherwise static character of the natural Wurli tone envelope.

Oh, I really like the Mark V. And the price! :yes:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  13. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

You are welcome. Since they're not pricey (except for Spitfire) and all Kontakt-based, it would be actually nice to do a group buy thing of the whole bundle. Any crazy Wurlitzer maniacs in here? except me and fiction

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Would it be a bit cheeky to go to an expensive keyboard store and say you want to try their keyboards out to see how they interact with Omnisphere. Then just sample your favourite ones and voila' :D Instant Keyscape. (Ish)

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Good idea!
    C'mon guys... :mates:

16. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Thank you so much for bringing that vsti up, was following that thread for curiosity and checked dexed out because i never really liked fm8...
    awesome sound (math limitations, aliasing - all there). and even open source :D