Whats The Best Rhodes VST? (for sound not features)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by remix, Oct 21, 2015.

1. remix

remix Platinum Record

I tried most of these suggestions...

the 96k seems to be the best in my opinion...

the lounge lizard is also pretty dope...

2. Millenium

Millenium Producer

As I already said, I owned two Rhodes by the past (MKI & Suitecase) and for me who played many years in a

quartet (fusion: Jazz/Funk) with real rhodes and real acoustic pianos,MKI Stage Premier 96k is actualy " the

most realistic
    " but will never replace a real .

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

hi guys, very interesting post. But why haven't Pianoteq been mentioned (only by one member)? Are Pianoteq's so bad?

4. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Neo Soul Keys 4.x from Gospel Musicians
    AAS Lounge Lizard EP-4 (not sampler/rompler) but defenitly good !

5. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

is there some great differencies between Neo Soul Keys 3X and version 4?

6. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Nope, in my view is just as good as the aforementioned Lounge Lizard 4. Thing with pianoteq is it requires the standard or pro license to do some extensive tweaking of the models to your liking. So if you only need it for EPs there are cheaper alternatives, but if you like other things like the pianos then it is something to consider. After extensive testing, I have decided to purchase the EPs as well.

7. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

guys one question: is there a Neo Soul Keys 4 for Kontakt? or is it now only for UVI?

8. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

Air Music Technology VELVET sounds great

9. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

Yeah,Velvet is nice so is the Neo Soul Suitcase and the EP73(can't remember who makes it)for Kontakt.

10. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

did anybody try MrRay from GSi? I think MrRay and MK1 Stage Premier 96k are the best sounding IMHO...

11. Martron1

Martron1 Newbie

Acoustic Samples Mark 79 is pretty good!

12. Parkerbeats

Parkerbeats Newbie

NEO Soul keys by gospel musicians is dope forsure

13. solarflux

solarflux Noisemaker

14. LoveKavi

LoveKavi Kapellmeister

Neo Soul Keys is a new addition to my library. Love it.

However, I always go back to Lounge Lizard 4. Small, easy on the system, and exceptional results.

15. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Personally, this is a topic that is near and dear to me because I've been obsessed with finding the perfect Rhodes VST for years. Since that "sound" can be subjective depending on the user, I'll just breakdown the ones that I personally think have not just that sound for me, but also a vibe.

UVI Tines Anthology -This one takes the cake for me currently. It has a broad range of Rhodes sounds all sampled directly from actual models released between 1970 and 2007. Personally, I was blown away by the sound quality and the sheer amount of range this collection provides, not only just with how many different models it comes with, but also the ability to fine tune the sound you're looking for. I'm extremely partial to the MK1, and the modeled version that comes with this collection was the first time in the past 15 odd years looking for the perfect Rhodes sound where I felt someone nailed it perfectly.

Steinberg Halion - This was my de facto library of choice for rhodes pianos over the last few years. I had read somewhere that a majority of the piano sounds that came with the Halion library where taken from a Motif which is part of the reason I bought it. I owned a Motif for years and loved the ep sounds that came with it. I can vouche that there are a few sounds bundled within the Halion library that are also from the Motif series, however, I dont feel they sound as good as a Motif or capture the same feel. Either way, it might be a bit overkill to purchase Halion just for ep sounds, but on the other hand, they do sound nice and additionally you get an incredible library of sounds and a great sampler.

Soniccouture EP73 - For a while there, I thought this was as good as it was going to get for me. Between SC's EP73 and Broken Wurli libraries, I felt these where sufficient enough to provide a good range of ep sounds which also contained a nice vibe. My only beef with these libraries is that they are so freaking huge (over 20GB between both of them). As much as I liked them, I just couldn't warrant having 20GB taken up on my hard drive for the one or two ep sounds I used.

AAS Lounge Lizard - Ive used this thing for years. While its not my favorite go to plugin for ep sounds, its light on the cpu and you can get some really beautiful sounds out of it, even if it doesn't always get close to the sound I'm looking for. That being said, it's not bad... in fact, I know a lot of people who stand by it as their favorite ep vst. I use it more for getting ideas down than anything else, but it really is a great plugin.

FREE Options - Over the years I've found some really useful free plugins that I felt did a great job creating a usable Rhodes sound. It might take a little bit of work and processing to dial it in, but these will definitely provide you with a good starting point. I actually layered an instance of MrRay73 and LazySnake in this track to get nice atmospheric Rhodes sound (skip to 3:18 to hear it better during the break down):

Sorted by my favorite to least favorite:
    1. MrRay73
    2. MrRay
    3. 4Front Rhode
    4. LazySnake
    5. MDA ePiano

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  16. Martinme

Martinme Newbie

Hi fellas!

anyone have nicnt file for Neosoul Suitcase EP?
    cheers

17. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

Keyscape™

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

upcoming Scarbee Rhodes made in collaboration with George Duke shall be something special. all 88 keys sampled. also this year Keyscape and Session Electric S are notable. Spitfire North 7 is ok. and last but not least, 8dio Suitcase 54 just released. this must be the most detailed sampling of a Suitcase Rhodes ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

holy shit, I did not know about the first two. it will be a rain of rhodes. really want to see this Scarbee. on the other hand, e-Instrument's libraries are not so useable, with their pentagon-like morphing. it's like ruining the sound of an instrument.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  20. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

neo soul keys is of course a sampled vertion of the original instrumens ,and very good too..
    However i personally prefr the vst emulations for my particular styles,But lounge lizard and especially Air music tech velvet "vsts and not sampled" are a couple to mention ,Depends on what direction you wanna go/if you want the very best and closest sampled sound set Of the actual rhodes or wurrlys out there for writing say for eg soul/RnB/Then maybe id say neo soul for that authenticity....or a vst capable of the same but coupled with some amazing extra abilies unavaliable to the original wurly or rhodes "both of which have excellent vsts based emulations" Down to taste too i guess..... btw "maybe give air music tech velvet a whirt and twist some knobs ,personally i love it and is just as capable as lounge lizard and i prefer to run it when lookin for a rhodes or wurly sound...And you can always uninstall both even if tested.....Personally im a junglist at heart and mainly prog dnb and for those especially its the vsts and not soul keys for me,but again all down to taste, but i do have all 3 " and one i forget as i just came across it but sounded wonderfull but with a slight twist and have to dash out so cannot go into my drive to get the title just yet as im late and about to get a rollocking...........apologies for waffling

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016