Whats the best Midi Keyboard on the Market ?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by diego_barajas, May 22, 2012.

1. diego_barajas

diego_barajas Newbie

I want a good midi keyboard from 100-250 any ideas ?

I was looking at some in Amazon and Ebay but I have read negative reviews on many midi keyboards on today's market.. can someone give me a lead :break:

3. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Massively vague question there, but I'll give a go at it. But being a touring keyboardist for nearly a 15 years I'd say I have a right to hehe. Any rate- - -

Strictly for piano - You want a weighted keybed. At your price point a gently used CME UF80 is hands down your best option. Has some knobs for for MIDI assgn too.

Synth/Organ/finger drumming/Production/Live controller - Pretty hard to beat an Axiom 61 Pro, but at your price point you'd be stretching to find a new one at that price point. Again, a gently used Axiom 1st-2nd gen go for around your budget. BTW - they can take beatings like SM57's hehe

NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY. GET A SUSTAIN PEDAL TO GO WITH YOUR KEYBOARD. This is something non-keyboardists think they can get by without, but in the end they always realize what a giant HeRp DeRp they were for not buying one in the first place.

Both boards are solid for their value, with the Axiom the better of the 2, a good weighted controller can run you up to nearly $3k so if bang for your buck is what you're after I'd go w/the Axiom.... BUT REMEMBER, you cant perform a classical or wide Pop arrangement on a 61 note keyboard...

My honest opinion - If you're serious about getting into keys, you'll need both eventually, 2 61 note synth action controllers & a 88 note weighted master controller is an ideal live rig setup for most professionals, but there are exceptions to every rule....

PS/ I recommend Anybody who might read this post who plays keys to watch all of Hals Youtube posts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDw1igyuvxk&feature=relmfu

Peace & God bless

4. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

I like my M-Audio Keystation 61es ok, it's in that price range, the only thing I don't like is that it doesn't support aftertouch and you can't adjust the velocity curve, which I would definitely look for knowing what I know now.... I guess it just depends on what you want to do with it, whether just mess around and maybe lay down some song ideas, or actually perform with it. Oh and second on the sustain pedal, great to have, use it all the time. Would also recommend an expression pedal too.

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

If your serious, then start with a Oberheim MC1000 and work your way up, but somehow the question alone tells me the answer :bleh:

6. MARJU GRLYO

MARJU GRLYO Noisemaker

Same here ! It's the best keyboard I ever tried in that price range ! The keys are very "sweet" to play on (I had much more expensive synths, the keys weren't that good)

But that's right, no aftertouch...

I don't know the new M-Audio MIDI keyboards, but I would probably stick with this brand if you're more into pianos etc... ! Or something with a lot more controllers in your're into synths... And in both case that's true, sustain or expression pedals can be a good option.

7. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

I'll have to agree on the 61es too. It'll take a beating just like the Axioms, but you really should look for used controllers. Especially in your budget range...

8. diego_barajas

diego_barajas Newbie

Thanks to all of you, I purchased a Novation impulse 49 its pricey for just a hobby, but it has everything that I am looking for I just hope there isn't any malfunctions in the future

9. google

google Newbie

try them in a shop

RATED ON KEYBOARD FEEL

m-audio AXIOMS feel like crap to play - Lots of people hate them - try for yourself
    M-audio feel like a creaky piece of shit (semi weighted maudio)

akai a bit crap

Electronic Dance music = synth feel ...not grand piano semi weighted plop :)
    = novation SL get one second hand mk1 or mk2 same keys
    FATAR keyboard

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/sl_mkii/

RATED ON KEYBOARD FEEL
    first choice Novation SL
    = nice synth feel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RATED ON KEYBOARD FEEL
    second choice Cakewalk A-300 Pro USB MIDI Controller Keyboard
    = great price and feels better that anything MAudio have ever made
    = made by ROLAND

[​IMG]

TRY BEFORE BUY :)

10. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Roland A500 is better, because it has more keys. Very handy for playing over 3-4 octaves!

11. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

google, if my memory not fails me, Novation is way too expensive :sad:

12. Rolma

Rolma Guest

I use M-audio and I hate it but when I bought it I was a 5 years old child! (now I'm 11). So the first leaflet I read the best product I thought!
    Try before buy(best suggestion) and don't get paranoid if can't cope with all the online info around...you know why is issued it!

13. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

now I'm 11 i don't believe that *no*

14. google

google Newbie

ebay bargains a plenty

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ReMOTE-25SL-Midi-Keyboard-Controller-Novation-/251068792260?pt=Midi_Controllers&hash=item3a74ddbdc4

I tried a loads of keyboard a while back

The Novation one has a really nice synthy feel (fatar synth keyboard is why)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fatar+synth&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=sTi9T-z2ArOZ0QXdvalO&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CJIEEPwFKAE&biw=1032&bih=682

M audio stuff should be burned

i was surprised by the cakewalk Roland keyboard, it was a pretty good feel on a budget and a few knobs pads too :)

shop guy said they sell 100's of them and its a neat size too. not as nice feeling as the novation.

maudio played bad and felt like it was made out of cheap plastic (like a hong Kong phone charger from ebay - you know the stuff)

BEST BSET THING for creative drums

AKAI LPD8 - pad feel better than the expensive AKAIs? figure that?

plus pads light up for £40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (probably get it cheaper)

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13567672/Akai-LPD8-MIDI-Controller/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:13567672|prd:13567672

it is so much fun to use

15. diego_barajas

diego_barajas Newbie

Yeah i got my Novation Impulse 49 and before i bought it i did some nice research , it really has everything that i am looking for and the drum pads look nice the only thing they complained about was the cheap knobs and its to big to be a 49 making it non portable .. but other than that people where satisfied with it ;however, before i knew of the Novation Impulse i was going to get the Axiom 49 or the Axiom Pro 49 but i discovered that alot of people had major problems with it like the " blue screen of death " were the product cease to stop working and many people said it tends to happens frequently and more on the newer generations ( 3rd gen ) so that was a major off for me ... :wow:

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I bought both a 49 and 61 key Axiomin '09, as well as a trigger finger. Ive beat them up with heavy studio usage and some gigging. Ive used them on three different setups now, laptops, desktops, Win7, Vista, and XP. No blue screens here or any problems for that matter. Given, the keys do feel a little "light" for semi weighted. But, I prefer the light feel, especially for hammering out my bass lines. I actually prefer to program all my drums on the keys too. The only time I break out the trigger finger is when Im working with other artist/rappers and want a feel for their style/tempo. Ill load up an 808 kit and let them play around on it pre session. Great as an ice breaker too. I never end up using the midi they played, but its a good way to find out their "flow" strict on the ones, lazy on the "ands" like a backbeat, as well as their comfortable tempo.
    --
    sG