What's the best library for string runs?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by beluga_man, Nov 22, 2019.

1. beluga_man

beluga_man Ultrasonic

I've been a bit out of the loop on the latest string libraries. Curious to hear what's your go to patch or library for string runs. The canned runs sound great but not very customizable in terms of duration and tonality. I remember there was a nice patch in Hollywood Strings that was designed for runs, it was a bit tricky to program but sounded pretty convincing but who uses Play these days?

3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

First you have to define what runs. There are legato runs and there are detached runs. For both Orchestral Tools of course. But for detached runs you can basically use any staccato patch.

4. beluga_man

beluga_man Ultrasonic

Thanks for chiming in. Good point I meant both kinds of run. Which Orchestral Tools patch do you typically use? How much control do you have? (ie speed, start and end notes, scale)
    I must say I never use staccato patches, I always use the spiccato patches

5. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

The control of Orchestral Tools stuff is mostly done by articulations.

You can use accented sustains (the accent is controlled by the velocity) or even normal sustains for legato runs, the original legato patch of course, and staccato and staccatissimo for detached runs.

Spiccatos are usually used for moderate to faster "non legato" situations (very often used in baroque music, see any violin concerto of vivaldi). Staccatos are definetely more useful - and logical if you look at the difference - for faster detached runs.

Tip: You can also try their marcato patches but they do definetely shine on normal non legato lines. Not very much people do know about this but thats the reason why everything is mostly sustained without space between the notes and therefore everything sounds artificial and...bad because they mostly use sustain patches. Especially the brass. :yes:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. beluga_man

beluga_man Ultrasonic

Thanks for the detail info. I'm an orchestrator and trained composer so I do understand the orchestra its sound and articulation. I just haven't found a staccato patch I like and prefer to use spiccato for mock ups. I agree with what you said. Lots of people producing orchestral scores seem to gravitate to using sustained patches, could be because they go with what sounds best or because they don't hear the lines and what those instruments are capable of doing. Performing and programming interesting rhythmical and melodic lines for brass that sound good and convincing isn't easy. I have some Horns patches that I like and work nicely but trumpets and especially trombone patches I've yet to find.

So which Orchestral Tools library are you referring to for those patches you are mentionning, they have a gazillion of them it seems.

7. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

For Strings definetely "Berlin Strings". The "Berlin-Series" is probably the most versatile and useful for classic symphonic productions. You can of course also try the vsl stuff but it's very expensive and you need a lot of time to create your own sound. For big fortissimos in a early 20th century/late 19th century style, I would add Metropolis Ark 1. The brass is outstanding here.

I've made some research in trying out the different instrument sizes from different orchestral tools librarys for expample horn 1, 2 from berlin brass in p to mf dynamics in combination with the a3 horn sections from metropolis ark 1 for f to fff and you can really do this without really noticing it, if you do your production work carefully.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  8. beluga_man

beluga_man Ultrasonic

Thanks a lot. I'll check those out. I'm still using mostly LASS as my main string library with some Spitfire Mural sparkled in there. I'll definitely check those brass patches as I have those but not using them.

9. ShibuyaCyana

ShibuyaCyana Member

Just to mention that there is a run mode articulation in Cinematic Strings...quite an old library though, and I really don't like their recording method.

10. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record