What's the best headphones for mixing/mastering in 2022

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Havana, May 9, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

You’re missing my point and to be honest my time is expensive and I can’t wait much time on this so to quickly answer

You’re only fooling yourself thinking you can do this all on you own at home and be a successful producer. If that’s what you want to do I’ll leave you to it. But…a few home truths that I tried to deny for years

1. If your monitors cost less than £10k I can absolutely guarantee you that you cannot hear the low end or mix properly. I know this from personal experience.

So you rely on an FFT to judge the bottom end. You can’t. At 256 samples at 44.1 that’s a window of 5.3ms equalling 170Hz so anything below that frequency is not displayed with any accuracy. I don’t need to read a theory book, I’ve written papers on it.

Also let’s not ignore speaker excursion factors. What if the RMS maximises your cone output, what happens to the peak? Most home studio monitors reach their excursion at low volumes. So you’re not even reliably hearing your music at mid gain.

2. You cannot reliably mix or master a low end - which EDM exhibits a lot of - without accurate monitors and an accurate room.

3. Aviici, Tiesto, Deadmau, David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia etc all have had their music mastered professionally because they are professionals at the top of their game and understand that a professional can do a far better job than they can. I know, I own a mastering plant and I’ve mastered music for EDM. It is not limited to all other forms of music.

4. Any kid cannot mix and master music at home that sounds great on a rig. If they could, why does every professional at the top of their game have their music mastered by a professional.

We all need to stop lying to ourselves as a form of protection against the real world. If you had the money would you pay a professional to mix and master your music? If you had the money would you still use plugins or have a studio full of hardware?

Look at any professional, when they make it big what do they do? Invest in hardware. Invest in their room. Invest in high end monitors.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. jksixfour914

jksixfour914 Kapellmeister

It's not hype for me. I've been using it since release and this updated V3 is on point. I do all my mixing with VSX, then use Realphones to check, then monitors. Been on point from the jump.

3. Woviyz

Woviyz Noisemaker

VSX is not hype at all. Its super good, lol.

4. RachProko

RachProko Producer

This is exactly the kind of 'high end upper class audio' bullshit I was referring to earlier. The mastering market has become about who has the biggest! If you don't pay at least this...you don't count! The more your speakers cost, the better you will be at mastering!

It's actually like saying. "I absolutely guarantee that you won't be able to learn to play the piano unless you buy a grand of at least 10k".

And I actually think that you really believe this to be true? Because you have been poisoned by this snobbish market of "more expensive is always better!"

It's not the pureness of sound that dictated how good a speaker system sounds? But it's determined by how much it costs!

Of course money counts in this field but I also think that after 2, 3 or maybe even 4k, the quality of sound becomes a very subjective matter!

Your really believe in this bullshit, do you? You really need to wake up and realize that this bullshit bubble is only for display! Our today's market dictates that 'analogue is always better'. Especially rare vintage gear. But the reality is totally different.

These people that make millions want to show off how much rare analogue gear they have in their studio because they know it all looks cool to their audience. Not because they actually use it, but just to show they can afford it. It's the musicians equivalent of a drug dealers Rolex watch!

If i had the money? I would surely invest in a good studio with a 'decent' speakers system. But I would 'never ever' invest in this stupid wall of useless analogue devices!

Yes we need to stop lying to ourselves! We need to accept that sound moves in mysterious ways. We need to realize that the quality of sound is not necessarily determined by how much money you put into it.

And we also need to sometimes realize how pointless a discussion like this can be?

Anyway! Happy new year to you and your family! I really wish you all the best for the coming year!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  5. phong thu am ha noi

phong thu am ha noi Noisemaker

I still believe in my dynamic DT880 Pro for every mix

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Newbie

Not sure what is new in 22.

I use Beyerdynamic 880 Pro (had to really get used to these), and an almost 30 year old paid of Sennheiser 580's which I know like that back of my hand.

Saying this, I've also known people putting out lovely sounding music that needed very little mastering on a £12 Pair of earbuds.

7. D____R

D____R Kapellmeister

This is the kind of elitist bullshit that makes me despise a lot of the music industry. I've worked with a guy who produces millions-selling albums kneeling in front of a pair of Rokits in his beach house kitchen. And I can guarantee that 90% of the electronic music that inspired and motivated the list of producers you've mentioned was made in home studios that cost basically nothing. You sound talentless and it's sad.

8. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

Imanbek made a remix and received a Grammy, in this setup he used ozone 5 with a ready-made preset on the master

to impose expensive equipment is already outdated "standards" it's like before you should have only iron synthesizers, pro tools, cubase, digital performer otherwise you are not a musician
    as for studios, most studios do not fully pay off, they will incur losses regardless of what kind of monitoring all top artists rent a studio and hire engineers for this
    Yes, there are those who have an expensive studio at home, but they can be counted on the fingers and it is unlikely that all the listed performers mixing and mastering themselves
    with the development of neural networks, now you don’t need to spend time on this whole ritual of shamanism, there are services for mixing and mastering,
    even the izotope company to facebook will kindly polish your mixes if you ask them, especially in times of tik tok consumption of trash content, what difference does it make to the listener what the album is made of?

[​IMG]

9. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Thread can be closed. It's 2023.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

It's 2023 and I just bought a pair of Shure 1840 cans. I'm going to let them burn in for about 40 hours before I listen through them. I'm sure (pun intended) that they'll be fantastic for my need.

11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Back in 2020 I made an album in my spare bedroom on a laptop with no stuff, and especially no monitors. I recorded and mixed the entire thing on a set of classic K240s. About a year later I finally put it up in my regular studio to hear what I actually had and wound up tweaking almost nothing except a little master buss eq.
    The point isn't that I recommend K240s as a great choice to mix on, I don't. But it does illustrate that if you're familiar with the idiosyncrasies of what you have you can accomplish a lot. I'll probably never bother upgrading to better cans because I know the AKGs so well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I has those back in the 90's before the foam earpads turned to dust and I had to say goodbye to them. I did love them and they certainly translated well with whatever I did with them.

13. controlthesystem

controlthesystem Member

In the 200 bucks bracket I switched to DT 900 PRO X (STELLAR.45 drivers) a couple years and never changed. Amazing cans. They're so fast, solid yet flat low end, super easy to drive. Haven't found better in this price category for modern electronic music. A great upgrade versus the old 880/990 Pro series whose driver didn't feel right to my ears for such music.

Anything below this price will probably be too cheap. And after that if you wanna upgrade you need to spend a lot more like 1700 for the Audeze MM-500 and stuff.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

YES! The Beyer DT880's are definitely THE goto for mix/imaging checking. They are very accurate and reveal every little nuance that can be revealed... I do not do complete mixes with them however as the whole near/far field acoustical thing comes into play which can cause issues. The monitors in the room AND the cans used in tandem are the best solution for a better, well rounded and transferable mix.

15. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

16. Colin

Colin Producer

I understand why people ask these questions ... what's the best this, what's the best that, however, the reality is, they're nonsense questions.

It's like asking what's the best football to buy to play football like Messi, Ronaldo or Mbappe.

If you have ability, preferably natural, and/or experience that you pick up over the years, then you can make anything work for you once you understand it's unique characteristics.

We live in an age where consumerism trumps all. /truthbomb

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  17. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

Also a VSX user here and barely use the software. That's how good the headphones are. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

While there is some truth about consumerism in what you say, I believe that this thread is exactly mean for the contrary, someone with not enough experience willing to hear what people with more experience can tell about headphones, and thanks to this, most probably avoiding buy bad headphones, then another "better " pair, then another one etc .. like many of us did, until we finally get to the right ones.
    Also, there are real technical elements that have to be taken in account when buying headphones. And like in football, there are more than only one choice, but not all the headphones can be in the "best" category.

19. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

There are some great headphones out there. Actually some really great headphones....I am happy to be wrong, but I am yet to see anyone who has mixed in a set of cans who has not needed to test it on a set of speakers to check the mix sounds like intended; that is, like it does in the cans.

20. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

If I was mixing for my teenage daughter and friends favorite bands I wouldn't use anything but prosumer headphones and portable cylindrical speakers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List