What's the best headphones for mixing/mastering in 2022

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Havana, May 9, 2022.

1. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

I know this is probably an old topic but lately, there have been some new headphones out on the market.

Max budget: $USD 600
    Here are a few contenders for me.

Sennheiser HD650
    HiFiman Sundara
    Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
    Austrian Audio Hi-X60

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Best Answer
    If I would buy new headphones now it would probably be the Shure SRH1840s.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

These look nice, but the cable is really only 6ft? Have you replaced one yet? That's going to get pulled on a lot; depending on where your interface, console, or headphones amp is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Lots of good reviews about the Shure SRH1840s online. Definitely, one to consider.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

I can say without a doubt that, from what I tried, nothing compares to the Warwick Sonoma. It is unbelievably flat. The difference between dynamic and electrostatic headphones is exactly like the difference of clarity you can hear between their microphone counterparts. It's just not at the same level. However, it costs 5500€, so it doesn't even cross my mind to even save up for it.

For mixing and mastering, I would suggest to look at planar magnetic headphones. I didn't try the Sundara, but I currently mix and master on Fostex T60RP which sound like absolute horseshit without DSP, but it's wonderful with Sonarworks. My only problem with it, it's that it has trouble reaching below 40Hz. I owned more expensive things before, like the Focal Clear Pro. But honestly, that combination works best for me. It has a great sound stage, and nice fast transients thanks to its planar magnetic drivers, but without being fatiguing.

Other great headphones I would recommend are the Audio-Technica R70x (very flat and translates well, but the high-end isn't as accurate as the Fostex T60RP), Sennheiser HD600 (same comment as the R70x), and Ollo S4X (very comfortable, nice low ends at mids, but a bit dark).

I tried almost everything, but one brand of headphones I'm yet to try to work with is Audeze. Almost all of the good engineers I know who use headphones as their main listening system use Audeze, so I'm very curious to see how well you can mix on them.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    • List
  7. jksixfour914

jksixfour914 Kapellmeister

Slate VSX. Been a gamechanger for me personally and all I've been using since they came out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. zpaces

zpaces Producer

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

What headphone amp are you using and how many OHMS does it push?

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

2 of his picks are 250 or over.

11. AudioTee

AudioTee Kapellmeister

I would at least investigate planar magnetic headphones. The Sundara is an example. Far more affordable than electrostatic headphones. IME, planar magnetics have better detail retrieval than dynamics.

12. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Likewise I've heard good things about them, but then there's different models to choose from and I could never get a clear picture from reviews which one would be a solid choice for mixing and mastering, or how expensive you have to buy in order to get the real deal.

13. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Wanting speakers or headphones with the flattest response possible (or even flat in reality) or with unmatched clarity, or with any other sonic quality that is "far superior" or "not even on the same level" as mainstream devices...is a bit silly for mixing / mastering, (and I would argue against it for general listening pleasure as well).
    If you want them for bragging rights, fine, but they will never give a clear representation of what you are trying to produce, and they will make industry-standard mixes sound like shit, because they will reproduce the terrible shit that was hidden by "lesser" components.

So, pick the best from consensus and popularity.

Or, I can sell you an electro-refractive skull array with an optional 1.2 atmospheres head-bubble for $735,000 and you can listen to John Lennon's pubic hair krinkling in "Let it Be".

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

people spend 500 bucks on a reel or a pole to fish from a dock. I don't think it's unreasonable for a tool for a musician. A mechanic will spend 600$ on an air ratchet without even batting an eye at it.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

I know all of your listed contenders and i'm absolute convinced the Austrian Audio Hi-X65 are by far the best.
    I have both, the hi-x60 and hi-x65, they are very equal, but for mixing/mastering open headphones are allways better imo.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

I'd get the DT1990,
    or a DT880 + K712 for roughly the same price..

Sundara is surely good/interesting,
    but it's not that different to DT880 in terms of tonality..

I will elaborate my description later,
    but I'd also give a look at the Hifiman XS..

17. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

I
    My room is not treated yet, so I do most of my mixing on a pair of ATH-M50X headphones. Think about it if your willing to spend $1200 for a pair of monitors, why not just get a decent pair of headphones like the Audeze LCD-X for the same price. My room's not treated besides carpet on the floor and walls so it doesn't make sense buying monitors. Besides I already have a pair of Adam T7. Only downside is I'd have to double my budget. :unsure: But that's ok if I can get good results. Great thing about Amazon, 30 day return period :wink:

18. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The best headphones for anyone are the ones they can afford while meeting their requirements.
    I am sure someone has done a decent mix in cans,
    Sennheiser HD 800 S, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro, or the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x and the new Warwick all seem to be in the supposed 'flatter' options but with any headphones, if you found you did not like them and spent larger amounts of money, for me, I'd feel annoyed. If anyone is going to use them only for mixing and not relaxed listening pleasure, sure, go for the ones that are flat. As @DoubleTake almost implied, bragging rights really do not matter much if it sounds like shit.

Me, I use them to check stereo field placement but in something really important, I'd never use them to tick the final box on a mix.

19. gurujon

gurujon Kapellmeister

Sennheiser HD600 in combination with TB Morphit works quite well for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

First I would rather order from thomann, there you have 30 days money back and 3 years warranty. So 1 year more than the normal warranty. The advantage is also that the company employs professionals and you always get an answer to your questions.
    The company beyerdynamic has the know how and their products are worldwide one of the best.

beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro 250 Ohms - 429 €
    https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1990-pro.html
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdyna...LCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

21. clone

clone Audiosexual

yeah t7x might make you want to buy some new headphones for certain. They got you chasing your tail? I bet.