What's that sawtooth long-term listening phenomena?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by canbi, Sep 10, 2023.

1. canbi

canbi Ultrasonic

One day while working with static sound I've discovered a strange psychoacustical phenomena, that I cannot find any information about.

Long story short, while working with sawtooth wave at relatively medium volume, I was doing other things too. I completely forgot about disabling the sound, so it was playing for over 4 minutes or so.

Ommiting the possible hearing damage and other consequences of that action, after taking the headphones out and starting breathing, I've noticed a strange thing - my breath was somehow vocoded.

Effect went gone after several minutes. Did my brain vocoded my breath? I've tested it on sine wave, but it does not left any weird feeling on my ears.

So, what was that?

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Huh.
    No disrespect intended, but I have to ask... there's no mind altering substances involved here, right...
    :wink:

4. rthrtccss

rthrtccss Member

damn... I thought I was the only one that knew about the sawtooth. right before the banks call me about the outrageous amounts of outstanding debt I have amassed, I prepare my voice using a variety of obscure wavetables and tell them 'THOU SHALL CALL HERE NO MORE, MORTAL!' please don't tell anyone else about this, or I'm fucked

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

plugged your headphones into an input again?

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Is this a cult thread or stuff? Don't mind me

7. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

You forgot the vibrator? And it run out of battery?