What's on your 2Bus/Mixbus (Late 2019 Edition)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by 5teezo, Sep 20, 2019.

1. zee

zee Noisemaker

True Iron - IK Tape/Softube Tape - TK Audio BC1-S - Blackrooster VEQ-1P - FabFilter L2 (just for sending mixes for feedback, off before bouncing for mastering). I always try to keep my gain staging optimal so I don't need to use L2 to catch any overloads.

2. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

Yes I must download the trial of that one and give it a whirl. I know people complain a lot about the cpu hit with Acustica stuff but they do have a certain mojo of their own and that makes it worth it. I personal treat them the same as analogue gear and render or print the output onto a new track, no more cpu hit.

3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Very similar to my workflow. If they are on a bus and I'm done working with that bus, I'll bounce it and mute/bypass effects on the actual bus. If it's a track, I'll freeze it.
    I've got an i7 6800K which will handle several tracks and busses running maybe 20 instances of Acustica stuff at once.
    I thought Purple added some dimension to anything I've run through it, even when not boosting or cutting anything which to my understanding is what the actual hardware does.

4. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

@5teezo You are one of the few members on here I consider 'the good few'. I can't contribute with my master chains as I don't feel like I'm qualified to do so with my skill set as it stands (hopefully that will change in time). Hope it's not too off topic but you've mentioned multiband compression a bit on this thread, that is something I struggle alot with wrapping my head around but from what I hear is incredibly useful. Could you possibly point me in the direction of a few people and/or companies who do simplified tutorials on this please? Or perhaps some courses or even reliable threads on here. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your contributions to this site.

P.S The Doom avatar is boss!

5. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Hey, thanks for the props. I don't consider myself an expert on multiband compression, but looking back on 10 years when I first heard the term until actually gettiing it, I think I now know what the struggle with multiband is. It's not so much the controls/parameters of the plugins, it's more about training your ears to understand how an audio spectrum is constructed and how the single bands interact with one another when you solo them vs having them all play. It's that constant switch between analyzing details vs a wholistic perspective on a mix that makes the dicisions of what to do with a multiband comp difficult. If you don't develop this skill of analytical hearing and experienceit doesn't matter how much you think you know about compression - you will most likely ruin your mix with it. It took me about 5 years to get confident with it.

This was an eye-opener video on Multiband Compression for me back in the day: Tony Maserati on Multiband Compression for Vocals

I think experimenting with multiband compression on a single instrument like vocals or a group of drums makes it easier to understand and experience how it works and what it does to the sound.

For Training: NO PRESETS! Use 4 Bands, set the crossover points at frequencies that make sense to you (Bass/low mid/mid/highs). Think about what could be improved on the source material and start adjusting. Adjust so that it does not get louder than the original in perceived volume. So A/B it so you can judge the actual changes. Later on you can throw it an a 2Buss and test it. But remember: it's just a tool. You don't have to use it just because it's in the chain.

Have fun withit!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. LeviD

LeviD Ultrasonic

TDR Limiter 6 GE

7. LeviD

LeviD Ultrasonic

TDR Nova GE (maybe)
    TDR Limiter 6 GE

8. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Guys,you should check out Sonoris plugins if you don't know them,especially the Mastering compressor (may be perfect as a bus compressor too).
    This compressor is the best of the best buss compressor for me,better than all Brainworx ones,those that I usually used.Awesome plugin,it glues so well,might add some harmonics if you wish,behaves perfectly with transients.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

- Gullfoss
    - My Airwindows secret weapon plugin :P
    - Ozone 9 Maximizer

10. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I bet ToTape or Console 6 ;)

11. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

Nope :)

12. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Okay, I give up. Chris from Airwindows has way too many plugins to guess ;)

13. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

Antares Auto-tune pro! because it is pro and it can tune everything :rofl:

UAD Ampex ATR-102 tape recorder (always)
    FG-X
    bx-digital v3
    Bus comps: Ua SSL-G/Glue/bx_townhouse/UAD Fairchild 670
    Oxford inflator
    Fabfilter L2

and some more depend on the song and material.
    Blessings,

Edited: UA Pultec passive eq (for that analog sound and smooth top-end)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Haven't seen Inflator ina long time. I never got around using the Fairchild as a Mixbus Compressor. My feeling is that it is not suited for modern music like Hip-Hop or Electronic. Or maybe I am using it wrong?

15. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Inflator sucks the transient out and Fairchild is too slow for me. I prefer SSL 4k GBus Comp.

• List
  16. The Mazeman

The Mazeman Kapellmeister

I always split the signal into left and right then, on each channel
    1. SSL 4000 G Bus Compressor
    2. Mix Centric
    3. Newfangled Audio Saturate
    4. Invincible Limiter (medium time settings)
    5. Fabfilter L2 / Ozone 9 Maximizer

• List
  17. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

2 Limiters? wow

I bet you actually mean "Invisible" Limiter, right?

18. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I tested:
    • Parallel EQ: No Q for low and high shelv. :woot:
    • Mastering EQ: Not even close to linear phase (according to PluginDoctor) . :woot:
    • Mastering Compressor: No added harmonics found (according to PluginDoctor), killed transients (according to ear and comparision to other comps, e.g. Pulsar Mu).

19. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

If I'm not mistaken, the mastering compressor had a button to generate even harmonics.

20. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Try again...Read the user manuals...:)
    A parallel EQ is not a surgical EQ like FF Pro-Q for example.Not used for the same task.
    The mastering compressor may add harmonic if you engage the harmonic coloration.(small dot near the "make-up" knob)
    I don't know what plugin doctor says,I judge the plugins with my ears first,and for me they all sound very nice.I'm fallen in love with this compressor.
    The mastering EQ sounds cool for me too,but its workflow is not as good as ProQ for the least!

Try these plugins in some of your projects,you cetainly thank me later:winker: