What's going on here?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Backtired, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Sometimes I like to analyze old classics and songs that I really enjoyed. This one was h-u-g-e years ago.

Jump around 1:20. This is the original mix of Mystic Force by Mystic Force, even though it has a cut.

I really don't understand what is going with the main saw lead. There is probably a big delay. But what are the notes playing? Is there a line of notes playing the same notes in a lower octave? What is the melody? Tried recreating it and it's just a bunch of E and can't figure what else. No MIDI arounds of course. And it doesn't help that the bass arp opens its filter later on.

The rest of the elements are pretty easy. There is another plucky synth, these cool pads, etc.

Thanks to whoever is less dumb than me and can get what is going on.

3. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

E C# B A. Rinse and repeat.
    It sounds like each note is held down for a measure while the the pulsing arp does the rest.
    Chords would be Emaj C#min Bmaj Amaj

4. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Sounds like the delay mix and feedback modulation is set to key tracking, intensifying the effect on higher notes.

5. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Sounds a bit like a trick i used to use back in cakewalk 3 days.
    Take a track, copy it, change its octave, push it forward by x amount of midi ticks, rinse, repeat however many times u want octaves.
    Basically a manual midi delay, it sounds like 3 copies of the original to my ears.

And yeh, stuff that bounces octaves around that much can easily trick you into thinking it is more complicated than a bunch of the same note.

6. MrMister

MrMister Ultrasonic

it's layered, with one note harmonizing with another, then an octave as well, and another note riding a simple melody. its 4 different notes for that one synth sound, then delay and probably 2 different ones at that.