What's better dual 1080p or single ultrawide 4k monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by plasticvibe, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Anubhav Ukil

Anubhav Ukil Producer

I just shared my thoughts, that's it.
    I tried not to be an asshat and tried to share my personal experience, but yeah, if you wanna be one of those asshats, go ahead and be one. Who am I to judge?

Also, FYI, Cubase, Logic etc do not support multitouch anyway. Dtouch is cool.

Now, I am not running commerical facilities and I thought, the price of Fader port 16 is little less than a Sony 43" 4k HDR TV and PQ Labs IR Overlay and that's the reason I went with that idea instead of buying an FP16.

Now, if you had ever seen how Studio One works or how I use many many macros in studio one, you would have understood, why it is really important to me.

Anyways, Fox will always rant about how Grapes are sour.
    Take care and Happy New Year.

2. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I see this thread got resurrected,

well since my post on 27" 2560x1440, I got 34" 3440x1440 100Hz screen which I think is finally the sweetspot, because:
    1) basically same pixel density/PPI as 27" 16:9 1440p which means well-readable at 100% scaling but also detailed enough not to see pixels
    2) 33% more workspace width compared to 16:9 1440p screen, which is handy especially when having 2-3 program windows side by side (for ex. 1920 + 1520 width, or 1140x3)
    3) at viewing distance of around 60cm it kind of matches perfect triangle of monitors/speakers without obstructing them
    4) decent curve is actually useful and very quick to get used to, also I was genuinely surprised even at longer distance the curve doesn't distort the image
    5) higher refresh rate at 100Hz is actually very pleasing to work with because everything feels smoother and snappier, also some plugins like Melda do support 100fps framerate, and some DAWs like Reaper actually allow making certain elements high-framerate too, like for ex. mixer channel metering which makes it ultra smooth and very nice
    6) last but not least, for cinema-ratio 21:9 videos, entire screen is used which is a very nice bonus and more effective than having bigger 16:9 screen which would have black borders on top and bottom again

PS: I can imagine 38" 3840x1600 21:9 being a minor step up again, but for twice the price definitely not worth it for me

:chilling:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Listening_player

Listening_player Member

I've recently upgraded from 2x 27 2k Monitors to a single curved 5120x1440 Monitor from Philips and I can definitely recommend it. You can easily manage multiple windows with dedicated tools and not having to deal with bezels in the middle is a big improvement for me. I like to have a 2560x1440 window in the middle and two smaller windows on either side. And the curve curve helps me to avoid neck pane because I pretty much don't need to turn my head at all anymore

• List
  4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Using 2 27" 1920x1280 - not bad, but I'd love a single monitor that resolution, same size or larger.
    Getting rid of the bezels is the main thing

5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Along this quest, I learn about a website that might help in deciding whether to replace or add monitor for your workflow need.. it's pretty simple to use: https://www.displaywars.com/

Also thanks for y'all input that I use it to do some research on that website.. and finally came to my conclusion..

As for my situation (which currently using 21" 16:9 monitor): I found that adding another 21" of same model gives more view and neat (same monitor height) than replacing with 34" 21:9..
    24" 21:9 too is good choice for me because it has the same height as 21" 16:9 but I don't think the price is worth it because adding another 21" 16:9 relatively more cheaper than adding 24" 21:9 which is pricey for that extra length of view., :shalom:

6. tnc

tnc Producer

Super ultrawide yes, 4k no. Too much incompability and issues in win10 programs.
    I use super ultrawide curved with Cubase and Im very happy. 3840x1200.. everyrhing works and you dont need to use zoom in windows. Philips monitor...

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

the added cost is for no bezel in the middle, and color consistency across entire screen space - for me personally very relevant points to completely abandon multi-monitor setups

8. suckajim

suckajim Member

I'm using a 28" 4K screen. Since the screen size is too small I have to increase the zoom-level ( 150% - 175% ). While the DAWs usually are capable of HiDPI in Windows - this is not true for all plugins which means that the DAW itselft looks amazing in high resolution but the plugins (VST) are too small. I'm not able to see them. Conclusion: I have a second 24" 1080p screen only for the purpose of the plugins. I move the plugins to the smaller screen so they appear bigger. I don't know how else this issue can be solved - maybe you have some ideas guys?

Does a 28" 4k + 24" 1080p look terrible on your table? Yes.
    Does it suck to find a good position for yourself in the sweet spot of your audio monitors? Yes, maybe impossible if your screens are placed left and right on your table instead of top and bottom.

Once you are getting used to high resolutions you will immediately notice the pixels on smaller screens like 24" 1080p. So going back to a small screen is certainly not a valid solution.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I guess this is also about viewing distance,
    long time ago when 1080p monitors weren't that much widespread, I had 15.6" laptop with 1080p screen,
    it was awesome for playing games, but not really comfortable for reading anything at 100% scale, "luckily" I looked from very close distance at laptop, so it was okay experience once used to,
    with that in mind, I'd say 30-32" 4K is minimum for 100% scaling readable, but almost borderline too big to turn head around, not seeing whole monitor at close distance,
    hence I still consider 27" 1440p or 34" ultrawide 1440p sweetspot compromise at 100% scaling

10. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I have a 34 inch curved Samsung LED, 3440 x 1440 resolution. i love it, workflow is incredible. Tried the double monitors and it was horrific trying to integrate that into my workflow. One, wide big monitor is plenty enough.

11. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

@tzzsmk @solo83 make sense. i'll have to revisit cause u guys make me jealous with such screen haha.. :bleh:

much i learn from this thread, seems like 4k is not for plugins because of scaling problem.. how was 2K?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

it's not about resolution like 4K or 2K, but actual dimensions of screen in relation to amount of pixels, when looking from same distance,
    you can have for ex. 21" 1080p roughly equal to 27" 1440p or 42" 4K in terms of pixel density,
    another point of view is fixed resolution and deciding on viewing distance, but that easily becomes tricky, because for ex. sitting roughly 3m from my 42" TV I set resolution to 1280x720 so I could read emails at all - here obviously its native 1080p is already overkill, not even talking about 4K at such distance,
    I have experience with 4K 84" TV (from conferencing rooms) but then it's too big at closer distance like 2-4m, and having neck strain from excessive head turning would be very real

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

here's something to watch if you consider HUGE 4K monitor/TV as your daily driver....

• List
  14. Anubhav Ukil

Anubhav Ukil Producer

Very funny REPLY man.
    I have installed just that.
    A 43" TV with Greentouch 20point Multi touch overlay and bought the UPDD driver.
    The zoom settings are 125%.
    Everyone who has seen it, including myself, find it extremely easy and tweakable and fun to work with a Multi touch, gesture enable CONTROLLER where everything has 1 to 1 functionality and if there's a GUI element, I can TOUCH IT.

Everyone liked the workflow, including myself.
    So yeah, I think, you were just being Self-righteous.

15. Hepwa

Hepwa Newbie

I have two 27" 4k monitors and while the pictures are pretty, it's been nothing but frustrating with VSTs in Cubase (particuarly Kontakt and Ozone).

16. Hisi

Hisi Newbie

I like qhd most, some of the plugin windows are borderline too small. Otherwise its awesome

30" qhd is great. The resolution has to follow the size of the monitor. Too small monitor and too big resolution is not good

17. dl65875

dl65875 Kapellmeister

18. AudioTiger

AudioTiger Ultrasonic

A good 60" 4K TV. ***Four times*** the display space you get on a 1080p "standard monitor".

19. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

32:9 and you never want to go back. Giant mixer or arrangement, more space because you can view plugins in the centre without them getting cut in half. And games are also a whole new experience

20. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

very nice!
    I've been using 34" 3440x1440 100Hz screen for years now, and it's simply perfection,
    only "upgrade" I'm slowly thinking about is secondary smaller touch screen, but I guess a tablet can do better eventually....
    :chilling: