What's better dual 1080p or single ultrawide 4k monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by plasticvibe, Oct 17, 2018.

1. spencerlee

spencerlee Newbie

Hey Guys Sorry for the confusion. Yes I am using a 4k TV at 49 inches which is the correct pixel size.
    Obviously you need a good graphic card. Nothing hi-priced though.
    The resolution is not quite as good as a monitor but you get used to it in a couple of hours and you will not believe how good it is to have all that real estate to work with. For mixing it is a dream.
    I have a friend running 2 4k tvs next to each other but he is quite mad.
    Ask me anything
    Spencer

2. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

The Dell U2415 is hard to be beaten at ~200 dlrs. I was curious and did some research on this, everything else in the 24-26 WUXGA category is either more expensive or not flicker free or both lol. Personally flicker free is not a main feature i am looking for when shopping for monitors, but as some people report severe headaches etc., i take it seriously when someone tells me their monitor has to be a non pwm model.
    Cheers

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

So U2415 it is :yes:
    :thanks:

PS: Too bad all 1600p screens are at least 30"

4. king mo

king mo Newbie

I always prefer dual. When it comes to working the difference wouldn't be noticed

5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

am currently researching considering one 21:9 for daw use.. i see it as a surplus to arrangement view.. and found it a reasonable price today from some brand like philips.. i wonder how does it looks like on maximize windows.. can anyone share original size screenshot 29" / 34" / 49" for Reaper and Studio One (other DAW can too..) with default view and tracks loaded with about 3 min + audio/midi works.. :thanks:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  6. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

don't even doubt it. go with at least 38 inch!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Don't want to swing it wrong way, but my Philips (which is fairly good brand) just died two days ago. Exactly 1 month after warranty expired. So I bought new LG same day.
    Please be careful when buying!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I guess this depends on taste, but with a dual setup you can also have a 1x landscape / 1x portrait mode, which can be handy if Illustrator / PS is important? Although it can look... odd. Eventually I plan on trying to fineagle a large OLED tv (DAW) and a portrait monitor (gfx) so they fit together with unity, somehow! I'm still trying to get used to high refresh rates...

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

As a photographer, i can tell you human vision is less than 4K
    A lot of ppl will NOT even see 2K. You can use an old Canon 5d classic (10MP) and print wallpaper size with big and fat pixels.

So basically, more monitors / wider screen is better than pure definition.
    You can print an advertising board with 4K pixels. As long as you see the WHOLE picture, it is enough.

PS : 300 dpi Retina is a pure JOKE on something larger than a smartphone

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

helpful to know about your experiences and tips guys.. i'm still using my old 23" acer.. still considering whether to dual or ultra wide..

btw, i just learn Oculus Quest 2 256gb full sets is more or less the same price as LG 34" ultra wide.. still researching if it fits nice for desktop work in virtual world.. what you guys think? might need to get use high refresh rate like @famouslut said. it might hit vibrator rate.. :drummer::hahaha:

Happy new year everyone! :shalom:

11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Please don't take it the wrong way, but i 'd really like to know since when photographers became experts, thus scientists, in human vision. Truth is as humans, we need to focus & zoom on certain aspects of a picture to see all detail so we cannot perceive a big high res picture in full detail at once. But as a whole 180 degrees viewing angle and because typically we move our eyes to see a bigger picture, a 20/20 vision person would be accounted for ~576 megapixels which is way much more than 8k (not 4k which is one fourth of what 8k is):
    https://clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html
    Only people with serious eye problems will not. I have been working in the studio with 2x QHD Dell 30" (2560x1600-16/10 aspect ratio) for 15 years now. At age 54 going 55 now, presbyopia hit me about 5 years ago, but i just wear my glasses for short distance reading and comp work and i am as good as back in the day. What i can adhere to is that the eyes -as everything else- need training and time to get accustomed to such a large workspace. But surely they will adjust to it after a week or so.
    I find two main issues that need to be adressed with displays and DAWs :
    1. To have all main numerical, text and graphical info you need available for you to look at permanently, without key commands or mouse clicks. So when you want it you just instantly look at the particular window and continue your work uninterrupted.
    2. Have as less scrolling as possible. Especially vertical scrolling is a mood and inspiration killer lol. Even when mixing or editing which are less creative processes than composing, vertical scrolling is a tedious task.
    I will agree though that two monitors is better than one really high res. When working with multiple nested windows, the human brain takes snapshots of where those windows are and having dual monitors (or triple even depending on user preference) is much more helpful to unclatter the workspace and separate the main arrange window where most of the work is done, from editors, file explorers, console window, track attribute and plugin windows, etc etc. in any way it may suit the user.
    Cheers and happy new year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Yes!!! Especially if you’re working completely with DAWS & plugins!!!

13. ownworstcritic

ownworstcritic Newbie

A year ago when I got my current PC setup I went for a 32" 4k screen. After all this time, I regret it, I think I would have been better off with 2 24" 1080 screens. The thing is that, although I do think Windows has quite decent HiDPI support, a lot of plugins (specially old ones, but still also some of the new ones) don't have resizable GUIs, so a lot of things look small. I would say, if you want to go 4k, buy a screen that has enough size so that you can use it at 100% pixel scaling. I don't know what size is that, but I bet it will get pricey. In my situation, I use Windows with my 32" 4k screen at 150% pixel scaling and sometimes I even find it too small. So you see, that's why I think at some point I might sell this screen or use it somewhere else and buy 2 24" (or 25") 1080 screens, preferably IPS and with a decent refresh rate. Hope this helps.

14. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Yes it does helps, thank you.

Throughout this questing to upgrade pc monitor or not, i came across Oculus Quest 2 and HP Reverb 2 VR headsets. I'm interested in that virtual workspace they have been showcase on.. on youtube demo, they can setup like 3 to 5 virtual monitor connecting to PC from VR while remoting desktop.. something like that.. still in doubt if its good for music editing because someone mention about audio latency.. i'm still learning and exploring it because the price is reasonable more or less similar to lg 34" Ultra Wide.. just sharing info.. anyone with VR experience editing music there like in real world using daw and plugin? would love to hear how you enjoy it or not.. :shalom:

15. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

I got a Samsung 49" ultrawide monitor. It's the 1080p version at the time cost half the price of the 1440 version. I think it's perfect. I'm an arms length away from it and don't even need to turn my head like people think you would. But best of all for audio programs it has no bezel in the middle that you would get with using two monitors so you can have your project going across the screen uninterrupted. And also you don't have to watch things to one side if you had two monitors. When you go full screen you can watch or read things in the center like a normal monitor. I wouldn't want to use dual monitors after using this.

• List
  16. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Yummy. Is it curved? How was the look on arrangement view? (Ie. The place to arrange midi/audio file?) If it's alright, can you share a full size screenshot with DAW on maximize or full screen view? Reaper or S1 much preferred but any DAW would do :shalom:

Anyway here's the brand I'm considering to.. very budget friendly and has been given quite positive review from YouTubers... still researching..

17. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

mmmmm, Id go for a 32 or higher ultrawide, but if you could I sugest you to buy a 16:9 32" 2560x1440 monitor, 4k is overkill but full HD is so small. I actually use an Ultrawide 29" 2560 x 1080 and its way better than full HD 16:9

18. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

I'm on FL. I still wouldn't mind a separate monitor for meters though.

Attached Files:

19. Anubhav Ukil

Anubhav Ukil Producer

My personal recommendation,
    which I am going with (may post pictures later), is use a 4K screen (444 Chroma enabled, for 444 chroma 4K@60Hz HDR10, you need HDMI 2.1 as opposed to 2.0b), preferably, 43 or 49 inches and use PQ labs or any good IR overlay and make this a touchscreen and use another 32 inch or 27 inch 4k or FHD monitor for DAW or graphic works. If you are working with Studio One (I use that) or FL studio, then you will get Multi touch by default. For other DAW, you will have single touch only. But touching the buttons are really something.
    Steven Slate's idea was awesome, but he charges way too much (1000 USD for a 27 inch FHD touch screen is W A Y T O O M U C H ).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • List
  20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

You probably mean Chroma Subsampling.
    I gotta hand it to you, this a first, HDR on a 4k tv - made touchscreen for DAW. With reduced color information in favor of luminance (Chroma subsampling). Because a more bright display with less color can help musicians a lot. And 4k because our fingers can be so presice when touching those pixels... But hey, you can pinch zoom on those waveforms and touch those virtual buttons. Very useful all these... If you make music on a smartphone that is. I am surprised you didn't go for a 75" with HDR-1000. Meh you cheaped out. With HDR-1000 you could have blinding whites and golds when the sun hits Lara from the cave's fractures in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Oh i forgot we 're not talking about games. Looking at the bigger picture though, you might get Steven (Slate) to support HDR on his plugs.:hahaha:
    FL Studio, Bitwig, Cakewalk (ex-Sonar), Harrison Mixbus, Saw Studio, Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools via additional Dtouch soft. Yep, you got it they support multi-touch with gestures.
    To end this joke, touchscreens are only really useful as console substitutes in a strict engineering environment (commercial recording studio). If you are a musician/producer/composer, you make music playing an instrument or at least input notes in every way possible other than using a 49" touchscreen tv. A 10" or 12" tablet on the side with control soft can be much more useful.
    Ok rant over, peace and happy new year.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List