What's better dual 1080p or single ultrawide 4k monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by plasticvibe, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

2. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Don't mean to burst your bubble mate but the guy in the video is wrong, as very well a scientist explains with a huge comment below the vid. Human vision+perception goes way past 4k res. For example, 8k, which is 4 times the 4k res is easily perceivable by the human eye.
    To answer the OP and @EddieXx (If you have a 30" 4k and you can properly read text without changing font size beyond a 30cm viewing distance i'd like to see you do that man :)), the problem with high resolutions and serious DAW work is you need a really big display to properly read menus, titles etc@ 4k res. I'd say minimum 43" with some reservation too.
    I work with 2x 30" QHD (2560x1600), 16:10 aspect ratio, Dell IPS monitors about 12 years now. At ~100 ppi, pixels are so small you have to be 70cm away the most, to properly view the monitor(s) in physical res. A 43" monitor with 4k res has the same pixel density at about 102 PPI.
    It is only because of the DAW requirements of menu text and crucial info to be displayed visually that some peeps have moved to TVs instead of monitors but again it is a trade off in accuracy and readability which although stunning in movies, they don't have the same clarity as a good monitor.
    To sum it up, yes to 4k but with caution, first see the actual monitor you want to buy in the flesh or an equivalent if possible. Size matters here. Also make sure your monitor has either an IPS or VA panel, TN panels tend to exhibit poor quality, washed out colors and low durability over time. IPS offer the best viewable angle at 178 degrees whereas VA offer second best viewable angle at 160 degrees but a higher contrast ratio.
    PPI density difference.jpg
    A Full HD monitor @ 27" has 81.5 PPI.
    A 27" monitor @ 4k res has 163 PPI.
    The Dell UP2715K and the 5K Retina iMac, both 27" have 217.5 PPI.
    The 31.5" Dell UP3218K @ 8k res (lol) has 280 PPI.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've always preferred working with one big screen. I find working with two screens too distracting, but I think it's a matter of taste. I'm also not very obsessed with the resolution, but size, because it's easier to see everything on a bigger size monitor. So currently I'm using a 27" 1920x1080 screen. Films look very good on it, too, and since I play some game once in a blue moon, and have a passive VGA that isn't very powerful [but it's quiet :wink:], I'm not able to play any more recent games anyway.

So in my view it depends on the size of the screen, if you want it to be 4K [2160p] or not. It also depends on the usage. For a DAW I can see 4K useful, also for gaming and cinema, but that's all. So if you want a big screen, like 30+ inches, I'd go for a 2160p screen, but anything smaller looks pretty good @1080p and things would look too tiny in 2160p. It depends on the distance you'll be watching it from. The closer to your eyes, the more pixels you need. The bigger the screen, the more pixels you need. FPS? I find 60-75FPS perfectly fine. You must remember that LCD screens refresh rather lazily, so even 30FPS can be just fine, depending on the usage. More FPS is rather important for gaming only.

my 2p. :wink:

4. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Absolutely 4k, but anything less than 40" would be too small for me.

5. @The-RoBoT - SO MANY salty comments on that video!

6. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

7. exr777

exr777 Producer

8. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

I understand what you mean Like I said “Confusion to the mix” and the :dunno:

9. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

I agree hence why I added the :dunno: at the end

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Nobody has yet mentioned the limited viewing angle of LCD monitors.
    Your intended viewing distance has a high impact on what's possible at all and limits the usable size of a monitor.
    If you don't have much space available and you don't want two monitors, you may also have a look at the more recent curved widescreen monitors, but even these have a limited vertical viewing angle.

11. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

OK everyone calm down. He is challenging only what you think you can SEE...
    NOTHING to do with sound ....

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Is it a TV or computer monitor? Which model is it? Can you divide the screen?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Currently there is no 4k monitor at 49 inches. What Spencer talks about is either a TV or different res ultrawide monitor like 3440x1080 etc.
    The 43" category (which is 42.5" actually) i spoke about has about 8 models from Acer, Philips, LG, Iiyama, Dell and HP and these are the largest monitors with a 4k res atm. The Dell 43" model has a comprehensive input management, it can receive 4 FHD signals and have them divided on screen at 4 windows. Also i read a not so favoring review here https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7768/6-ultra-hd-40-inch+-monitors-review-monstrous-monitors but the dudes there favor the cheapest 43" from Acer which is known to reportedly exhibit the ghosting effect, so not much trust from me to those guys. Monitor nerds on the other hand had a much more favoring review on it: https://www.monitornerds.com/dell-p4317q-review/
    Here is the Dell P4317Q configured to show 4x 1080p signals. dell_p4317q.jpeg

PS: i found an Iiyama open frame display at 49", these also come at various sizes at 55,65,75,86 and 98 inches too and are touchscreens, i assume they are intended for OEM bundles.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  14. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

HP Z43 would be decent pick of all current 42.5" 4K monitors :)

15. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

I'm on U2412M, and thinking about U2415. Is there other non-PWM 1200p 16:10 screen worth considering?

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I don't understand why replace the 1200p with another with identical res but the better Dell is cool i guess. For the flicker-free monitors there is a list online.
    Here you are mate:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/flicker_free_database.htm#database
    :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  17. lovebeats

lovebeats Ultrasonic

i have a 65 zoll samsung 4 k tv, and im very happy with it, sometimes i dream about a 75 zoll but its expensive

but u need a 4k graphic card for a good graphic resolution

18. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

but if im not mistaken for just daw work in 4k you dont need any special card, its for games and movies you would be needing something extra

19. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Not replacing, adding a 2nd one. :winker:
    I know about the link, but it doesn't list resolutions, and 1080p would not be the right choice.

20. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I remember my DELL U2713HM is non-pwm, it's older model though, so may not be available anymore

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List