What's a good all-rounder lopp sampler?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Remi, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Remi

Remi Member

Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to ask: please let me know if this should me moved to a different forum.

I am looking for suggestions for a good all-round loop mangler. By that, I mean a loop mangler that can slice and mangle all kinds of loops, not just drums (vocal loops being a main target).

I have looked at Regroover, which I like. I have also used XO which has pretty good editing functionality but does not cater for vocal chops. I would like to use a tool that quickly gives me variations on a lopp, mostly for inspiration. I am on Windows x64, using mainly FL Studio.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I get flashbacks to LiveSlice. Maybe not your thing but it sure was fun and I think I will go play with it now (I think I have it somewhere on an old hdd).
    http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php

*loop, not lopp

4. Remi

Remi Member

*loop, not lopp[/QUOTE]

In my case, it's a mashup of loop and flop. Appropriate.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, Baxter. Heading over to take a look right now.

5. Gizmoz

Gizmoz Producer

6. Remi

Remi Member

Thank you very much Gizmaz. I'll check it out now.

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

As long as you're using FL, why not give sliceX a try?

I haven't used SliceX enough to really have an opinion of it, but it's supposed to be good and Image Line is usually pretty thorough about their VSTi

8. Remi

Remi Member

Yes, sorry, I should have made it clear. SliceX is brilliant as a slicer, but it doesn't have sonic capabilities to help mangle a loop after slicing it (actually it does have an LFO function and I must admit I never got to grips with it. I will look at it). So I usually use some effects after the fact, but that's not quite the same.

9. Gizmoz

Gizmoz Producer

Egoist from Sugarbytes is aimed to mangle beats, but you can use it on other kind of audio.
    Looperator also from Sugarbytes is an audio FX specially made to mangle audio as well.

Then there's Geist, a Beat slicing / mangling ... thing
    It's a (hell of) drum machine made by Fxpansion.
    A bit too much for your purpose maybe, but worth giving a try anyway.

Another interesting sampler is Serato Sample

Happy experiments !

10. Remi

Remi Member

Oh, Sugarbytes. I remember them. I have never used Looperator. I'll take a look. Geist is new to me also.

Thank you again Gismoz.

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Liveslice has not been an option for years... I actually supported the guy and he stopped develop the application years ago. But.... you´re right about one thing: I was a great application :like:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Great! I know and I agree. That's why my whole post referred to it being old, on my old hdd (not being updated, etc). :) Good old times though. The developer was also a Buzz tracker and made a native version for Buzz (which I used) in 2007.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  13. alex921

alex921 Producer

Been searching for a while for decent looper/slicer mangler for my samples as wel. For example, a 20 year old hardware sampler can break up hits in a drumloop so you can mangle it to your liking
    But in the software world the only plugin I know which can does this is Liveslice. (which is abandonware for 8+ years)

In VCV Rack there is a QuadSimpler/ComplexSimpler, which is fun to use, great flexability in terms of messing up your samples, but requires knowledge of modular synthesis.

Thanks for the mention for HY-Slicer, will give that a try.