What you working on?

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Aliens, Oct 18, 2016.

1. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Yeah. I wasn't happy with the drums in the chorus, so I took them out for the time being, untill I've rehearsed the song a bit. Then I'll go back over the drums. It's a bit of a problem at times when you're doing live takes though.

2. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@superliquidsunshine, @subGENRE, Speaking of that ART MDC, just read that it has 2 DBX VCA's like those in a SSL 4000. 16Khz to 28Khz / Dynamic range -110dB and THD is 0.04 %. Not too bad.
    I'm thinking I'm going to be playing with the External Insert features of Sonar this weekend, with the MDC wired in. Might not have to wait on those DBX160a's after all. :headbang:

3. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

@RedThresh

I would not push it louder - it can get louder if you wanted to subject it to that... though it isn't necessary, personally from a loudness point I think it is fine.

Only thing I can suggest here... is saturate the low end bellow 220 and narrow it a bit, so that you can extend its harmonics into the higher ranges. It is a little dark, but it does have some pokiness on the extreme highs. After you saturate the low end you might find that you can now live with a 1.5 or more low shelf down there and still heal everything perfectly clearly and that the presence of the bass drum and the drone are enhanced a bit.

I hope this makes sense, it should result in a flatter more open track. As far as the high end goes, am taking a stab at it because it is an MP3 and it sounds like it.... I probably should not comment on stuff I can not hear the high end might be fine or even brighter than I think it is.... who knows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Many many thanks for your very detailed comment on this. Will help a lot. Yes I will definitely not push it harder than this, maybe even a bit lower (9PLR target), low end is already fully narrowed from 0 to 120 (mono), there is some excitement on these bands but not saturation, will try this too, thanks again!

Last session I tried to bounce out the remaining midi (some synths mainly) to audio. And... Unlike most of the time (already happened), it sounds much worse, more detailed in a way (midi>audio) but so worse. I dont know what to do

5. Every time that I see a DBX 160A in the used gear sites around me I always want to get one as the second comp in my vocal chain, the other being the Warm WA76. I would love to get the Warm WA2A and put it after the other as to hopefully impart the buttery silkiness that I hear dripping around in my head. CHF 1099 is a LOT of money right now to fritter away on my lovely hobby. I have a plug but it probably isn't clone to the real deal. The DBX might need suffice this poor man's longing.

6. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

7. digitaldragon

Yeah, I've been drooling at that WA76 myself. After hooking up the MDC this weekend, I'm determined to get one somehow.
    I seems like it opened the mix up more so than a SSL plugin comp did. I maybe should try a comparison to Tan and see how similar they are. But the Waves SSL wasn't as open and direct as the MDC. And when I added in the exciter... there's the air I'm missing! Going to be testing it on a few vocal tracks this week.

Thanks for pointing this out as a decent dynamics outboard to me, @superliquidsunshine!

8. I have the WA76 for about 10 months now and it rocks hard for a mono drum sound with all buttons in squashing and gooing up the works just torturing the signal, or it can be used sparingly and subtle to knock off even like 10db with a slow attack and recovery to taste or tempo at 4:1 or 8:1 with a vocal, acoustic guitar or percussion (generally a faster attack with things I bang on). It is the Warm WA2A that I am drooling over and have a bad case of GAS over. I use a plug-in which is good to me, but ....I would like to hear it directly as I monitor on the way in and sing to it, something I cannot seem to do to satisfaction even with the small bit of latentcy while tracking through the DAW atm. Psychologically it would be advantageous to be wired up with a unit right in front of me.

9. digitaldragon

Or an STA Level. But a bit too pricey for my hobby!
    I completely concur with trying to monitor plugins in the DAW. Latency has been bad even if it's just a small amount, it throws me out of the pocket every time vocally. This is what the MDC was used for primarily was vocal monitoring.

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Dont laugh..... Been working on this. Pop EDM saccharin overload. You have been warned.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqmzfc6xm93kiqa/Harmony.wav?dl=0
    I do have an affinity for cheese though, lol
    I found the vox in a zerog kontakt lib. Timed it up with melodyne and went from there.
    In my defense Im taking it to the rel minor to make some of it dark.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Ok back for input, please.

12. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Wow it's pretty good. You just need better instruments to me, Sounds lifeless but I have the feel for the song.

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

So much funk in all those instruments. The groove is eclectic but the funkiness ties it all together. Good work man! I love that gtr lead

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  14. Can you change the lyrics in Melodyne too? LOL

15. I think the tone of your guitar meshes with the other instruments but the guitar parts themselves are all out of time and are not in the pocket of the groove, including the bass.

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Not yet, but adobe is working on that.

17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks man greatly appreciate the feedback.

18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Is anyone else hearing this?

19. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

At least 2 timings are colliding with each other. I tend to hear it as SLS does.

20. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Yep. I can. The piano isn't helping IMO. Try muting the piano and guitar, then adjust the bass first.