What you working on?

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Aliens, Oct 18, 2016.

1. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Post it now. We can't help if we can't hear. If I can post my singing, that must leave the floodgates wide open! :rofl:

2. Aliens

Aliens Guest

@Immunity Thanks for the compliment, though I'm not naming the vocoder, it's my secret :bleh: :wink:

3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

As of 80% of what I do, I'm remaking it from scratch :(
    :suicide:

4. Immunity

Immunity Member

I'm just a bit curious, could You name what would be the worst scenario, if You shared the info about the vocoder You used ?
    Would it endanger Your music, song, style ... just don't get it !

5. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Well post some up before you get too far.

6. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

As you're new here, let me explain. It kind of of comes down to proper form really. There are certain things you generally don't ask an artist, and if you do, it's unlikely that you'll get an answer. Now don't feel bad about it, as far as I know Aliens hasn't revealed that before to anyone that I can remember. Certain things people are happy to reveal and others they are'nt. if they they are'nt, just exept it and leave it at that.
    Remember, it was your first ever post too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Immunity

Immunity Member

@Teknomage, Thanks for revealing it to me, You absolutely right, some people are willing to share, some are not.
    I was a bit hasty in asking a such question, if someone asked me, I would be very happy to share it, making the other person happy too,
    but that's me :yes:
    I'll move one :winker:

8. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I'll usually explain how i make a sound, even down to my settings, but I'm purely hardware anyways. So, while you're here, tell us a bit about yourself. What sort of music do make/produce? Do you play an Intsrument? What do you use? Are you working on anything at the moment?

9. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

WARNING: MAY BE BORING
    Progressive trance, tribal, trance, whatever

I wanted to make a double track "release" with "tribal" stuff. This one is called Tundra. What you hear in the background is my recording of the wind that took me more than one year to record perfectly, in the desolate wastes of... yeah it's a sample. I have only pads and a little dumb synth playing, the rest is all percussions, drums and a synth bass (mainly it's all cymbals and shakers). Oh and a howl.

I did this with only headphones and the structure should be the same as when I finish it.
    The other track, Mesa, was the one in the previous screenshot that didn't end well :D

Well here it is, in all of its six minutes glory. Missing some delays and reverbs on the synth and on some drums maybe. And of course better mixing, etc. etc.

EDIT: I would gladly tell people what I did and what I didn't, but this stuff is so basic :\

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  10. Immunity

Immunity Member

1st sorry for my bad manners, I wish everybody a huge Hello :bow:
    I'm an amateur musician, self thought, started as an drummer as time went by I ended up with keyboards.
    Mainly programming music, worked in cubase for many years & finally switched to S1 v3.
    My hardware gear: Yamaha 02R ver 2, 2x adat, Dynaudio BM15A, Event Project Studio 6, Yamaha NS10, Waldorf microwave XT, Korg M3R, E-Mu Audity 2000, Akai S6000, System 100M (5 modules), MC-4 Microcomposer, Line 6 Pod XT Pro, Lexicon MPX1, Focusrite Platinum Voice Master & Mix Master, Solid Tube (mic), Sm57 & SM58 (mic), Yamaha AN1x (main keyboard) the rest is tons of various plugins & Samples. Working at the moment on 8 songs parallel, I switch to a song depending on my emotions at the given time, I do have an problem, can't finish a song, there is always something more & better You can do with it. The style is mainly electronic ambient-downtempo-electro, sometimes there is an switch to classic sounds. Sadly, most of the hardware I don't use anymore, the analogue sound gives emotion in motion :winker:

11. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I have about 4 I am working on with my partner in Germany. This one is almost done except she will sing backing vocals. I did all the music and arrangement to her lyrics, and vocal melody. Oh and I fixed her pitch near the end of the song. She was slightly flat in this take near the end, and I have fixed that. We are an online band: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwwFMv7UvHwSWnkyWTFUbHdsZDA/view

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  12. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Lots of similarities in our history. My first instrument is drums, and I did move to keys for MIDI and songwriting. Now I am doing everything as a producer.

13. Immunity

Immunity Member

Lucky You, I'm far away from an producer, the freq field is givi'n me hard times, to eq-comp-limit & fx on 40 & more tracks is to much for me :(

14. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

No need to apologize, I don't think I introduced myself formally, when I joined.
    Well that makes my set up look small. Yamha RM1x, Korg Electribe 2, Volca Sample, Prophecy, a Roland JV 1010, Samson C01 mic, and 2 USB mixers.
    Don't worry, I think most of us have been there at some time, so you're in the right place.
    Well, as this is what are you working on? why not post one up.

15. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Sounds good so far. The synth that fisrt comes in at 1:50ish is quite a timbre change, maybe try putting a lead into it with some tom action or indian war drums, see how it sounds.

16. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Nice kind of chilled rock tune there. She has a nice voice, but at times it's hard to catch the lyrics, but I guess that's not unusual in rock songs though. Be cool to hear with the backing vocals too.

17. Immunity

Immunity Member

You're setup is just fine, it's the way how You use it that counts :guru:
    Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's 1982 by Vince Clarke as far as I know he made all the sequences on a Sequential Circuits Pro-One monophonic synth, recorded each ch at a time, so You're gear is just fine :wink:

Posting up some of my songs would be a tough one, 1st I have to be satisfied with the song at least 90 %, then eventually I would consider in posting it :yes:

18. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

But isn't the title of the thread "What are you working on," in general? Not what are you satisfied with. Besides creatively speaking, anyone could spend infinite amounts of time adding and tweaking things to a song but then they would never get anywhere. Plus a key part of being a producer/composer is knowing when to call it quits and move on.

Also this statement;

19. Immunity

Immunity Member

Sorry for turning this thread away from it's course, it was not my intention.
    It all started me asking Alien, what vocoder he used in his song, not the settings nor which patch/preset he used !
    Obviously it was improper - sorry !

Nor I'm a producer or composer, but I know definitely when something sounds good or not, & slowly I'm on the right road to achieve what I'm looking for. So thanks to You all for giving me a helping hand. If I get stuck I know where to ask for help :wink:
    Take care :winker:

20. Aliens

Aliens Guest

It's my signature sound, which I have developed through years of experimentation, and as a result of the huge investment on my part I'm simply not prepared to share my biggest artistic trade secret.
    Despite you saying I'm not the sharing type, which I am, and even though it's not my responsibility to instantly gratify and make you happy, which it's not, like the vocoder, it's true, you just don't get it. :wink:

I have no issues with you asking, after all, in life, it's often the case that if you don't ask you don't get, but sometimes we just have to accept with good grace the answers aren't always what we want to hear.