What you working on?

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Aliens, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Ben

Ben Member

Hey everyone

I've been trying something that's not my usual style and came up with this :)
    Would love your feedback on it :)

2. @Ben .. It's like I'm walking along a side street in Soho, NYC. It is fall and I notice it is getting dark as a
    I hang a left onto Green Street heading down towards Canal. I look at my phone and notice that I'm late, I pick up my pace.

3. Ben

Ben Member

Love it! You may have just written som lyrics for it

4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Strolling in NYC now that is a rarity. Good thing the other people did not run you over.

5. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

The start is very JMJ - kind of gets a little confusing the middle - love the Reese bass at the end... if you programed that GJ man.

6. Ben

Ben Member

Thanks for the feedback :)
    What do you mean it gets confusing?
    Yer I did, it was based off a preset but pretty heavily modified

7. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

@Herr Durr , these two are done with only Reason. And no presets, all sounds created from scratch.

This one is mellow and smooth. What do you think, should it get an additional bassline nonetheless?

This is a nice tune, but it lacks a cutting-through lead sound. If somebody reading here uses Reason, maybe you'd be willing to create one for me, that fits the tune, is iconic and uses the standard synths (Subtractor, Malström, Thor, NN-XT) and effects? No rack extensions, please.

8. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

On the first one I think some real strings would be nice but that is my opinion.

9. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

The filtered piano sound just doesn't seem to jell or fit in with all the other lovely sounds in the bed of the song for me. from about 34 seconds till the 1:00 mark where the song picks up again I feel like some very interesting things are being masked and personally I would rather hear what is going on under that piano then it.

Everything else is rather lovely for me, I just do not fancy that particular sound or it could be an amplitude issue, but like I said it is confusing because to me it is not that it unpleasant, it is just in the way of the other things my ears are interested in.

10. Ben

Ben Member

Thank you thank you :)
    Always appreciate detailed feedback !
    The idea of the filtered piano was to introduce the piano before the 'drop' however I could just use a filter sweep or something else to bring it in.
    I'll remove it and try another transition then upload it :)

11. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I am also wondering if there is something missing (therefore my question regarding a bassline). It is a bit thin, but then again it is a mellow, relaxing song and I don't want to make the mistake of filling it up unneccessarily. I will keep your proposal in mind and hope others will say something as well.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

agree a subtle bass could enhance it nicely... but that's the great thing about production, you can experiment so easily
    if it's a bit thin.. then go ahead and compare how it sounds "thicker"..

as to @midi-man 's suggestion, some suitable airy strings might give it some additional freshness...

it's a good foundation, and ok on it's own ... but why not flesh it out a bit , see if it shines more.. :wink:

did you add a lead to the 2nd one...? sounds like already several synth sounds going on...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2016
  13. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Yeah, would love to make it shine. But experimenting also needs a general vision, as to where you want to go with it. That's why I used this "what you're working on" thread. I thought I'd maybe get some impulses, something that pushes me in the right direction. I will post again, when I worked on it a little more.

Regarding the second one: It may have been not so clear what I meant. There is a "lead" voice playing the melody. But it is not very leading, so to say. I just don't have the ability to get these fat, aggressive lead sounds. I'm more of the vanilla sex guy when it comes to sounds.

14. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

O.K. Re recorded see below.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  15. I downloaded and listened to each but it is hard to discern the effects on your vocal on each track for me because the vocals are kind of buried. I really can't hear what's being applied.

16. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I guess that's me being over cautious/concious of my own voice. I'll up the output on the processor a bit and do a retake tonight, It's morning here now. Wish I wasn't in an apartment, it makes things difficult for this. Thanks for the reply and feedback.

17. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

O.K. Friends, musicians, Audiosexmen, lend me your ears! Erm. Again!
    So, I picked up my fx unit, and was going through the patches to use on my vocals. I've choosen 4 that I liked for this song.
    3 are vocal patches and 1 isn't. They were recorded in this order p84, p36, p28, and p07. Did retakes, as I was a bit buried in the mix. Think I might have gone a tad the other way now though.
    I did try and stay as constant as I could. Let me know which one you prefer. Cheers.
    lad p84
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/olrbbkg1u8vvwc9/lad p84.wav?dl=0
    lad p36
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sk3rqyqica8egej/lad p36.wav?dl=0
    lad p28
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c5jzdakle1dwlj/lad p28.wav?dl=0
    lad p07
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cma7fvspo1rwrcp/lad p07.wav?dl=0
    I added this, as I quite like it for the chorus bit. lad p05
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mk9c908sb59ocbf/lad p05.wav?dl=0

18. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

For me, <lad p05> but I think this is one of those instances where dirty and distorted with a few overdubs is going to be the meat, while the general treatment and effects are going to be the polish. The topic and the bed of the song just do not seem like they will ever play nice with a standard baritone voicing, unless there is a lot of massaging done to blend it in.

19. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Recording in my untreated apartment, so I can't let rip really. Will probably have to do a final take eslewhere.

20. I liked 07 as I was able to better hear your voice. The doubling for me was nicer than the reverbs. If you tack on the delay from 05 it would be a cool effect. By the way, what fx unit are you using?
    @The Teknomage