What would you use for cranking up electric guitars

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by pablo lopez, Sep 21, 2016.

1. pablo lopez

pablo lopez Noisemaker

Im looking for plugins for cranking up a guitar already recorded through amplifier and multiple mics, i have the lines too, but didn't want to deal with the tone of the guitar from scratch. I could mix the miced guitar with the line processed through plugins, but i think that the tone is good and everybody is happy with it, so a little bit of saturation added would do the work. What plugins would you reccomend for that task?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Well that depends on you and your taste as well as the guitar tone your looking for. You could use decapitator to dirty it up, and/or add the vibe from an many different eq or comp/pre emulations. And being guitars I would probably go with some tubes. Such a hard question to answer being so broad and vague without any reference. Is it a clean tone? Or over the top dropped metal tones? Or if you just want to make it louder, slap a multi band comp/limiter on it. But, the best way to make guitars bigger is multi tracking. But if thats not an option I use revioce and make doubles out of the performance. And then do everything that I mentioned.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Sometimes when the tone is already there and you just want to sound bigger, you could try a cabinet emulation like Softube's Amp Room bypassing the amp. It might help. You could also try something like tape saturation to add some character to the existing tone. But like subGENRE said before, it's too broad a question to fully answer.

5. karamuzas

karamuzas Ultrasonic

Try Native Instruments Guitar Rig or IK Multimedia Amplitube.

6. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

7. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

+1 on sansamp, use it on an aux and blend the tones.

8. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. timer

timer Producer

Or avecamp&mic :winker:

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Fab Filter Saturn is a favorite of mine and offers many different flavors.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I like iZotope Trash 2 for pretty much any kind of distortion

Guitar guys are hard to please, and I don't know how an amp/cab aficionado would feel about trying to get guitar tones out of Trash 2, but it can do basically everything. Multiband distortion, multiband comp, two modulatable filter/eq sections, a convolution unit and a delay to top it off.

12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Speaking of cab emulations does anyone have any experience with ownhammer irs. If I remember correctly amp room doesn't load third-party IRS I would probably use recab, I like the sound of reamped guitars in heavier music

13. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    An update: When we think of beefing up guitar takes, the idea, at least for me, is to give deal with a thin sounding, harsh guitar take which is usually what you get from recording guitars direct from a line input or through a pedal board. I've started using Airwindows's Guitar Conditioner. This very simple plugin basically removes the thin quality or harshness of a track, and it's free, well, supportware. BTW, if you want to support Chris, become a patreon of his. The guy is giving all his work for free, porting his plugins to VST for Mac and Windows. All he asks for is a dollar a month.

14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

15. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Speaking of guitar IR's, I was using Nebula with some sampled cabs. Ownhammer makes a set. I've always thought these were better recreations of a mic'd cabinet than IR's were. Then I started reamping the DI's and got back the grunt I was missing. Novel idea to blend the two.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. I always thought that Metal Room was a better all-a rounder than Amp Room was. I agree about re-amping, but it is always best to get it as close to finished sound when recording the take. If at all possible also record a dry track with perhaps a Hughes and Kettner Red Box to mess around with it later, or even better but much harder to do really well is to double track the guitar, that is, playing as near to exactly the same as the first time around. Nothing will beef up a track better than that. The guitars will become HUGE. Do it a third time and take over the world.

17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

So quad track and Ill be THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE! HE-MAN!