What would you expect?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by CentralComposers, Mar 1, 2015.

1. CentralComposers

CentralComposers Newbie

You are looking around the internet at Kontakt libraries specifically aimed at the 'Pad' type of sounds. What kind of features do you instantly feel are a must on the GUI?

Not the so obvious like Volume/Tune/Fine Tune/FX/Envelopes but features such as:

Morphing between a selection of sounds to be used in unison with the patch?

A user-input table to morph the sounds together yourself?

I'd like to hear your ideas!

-Brandon

3. uber909

uber909 Member

I couldn't care less about anything, besides proper synth controls like the ones you've mentioned.
    But I'm doing music for the dance floor, so I might not be the best candidate.
    When I use a pad, it's mostly for the dreamy part of a song (think Vangelis without the talent :rofl: ) and I try to reach for a pure sound more than a complex one.

I remember back in the days, the morphing function on my Nordlead... I've never used it, too boring... and so much you could do with just classic synthesis.

Cheers.

4. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Depends on what you mean by features, but I think you are referring to the ability to change the sound or create new sounds. Too much of that puts me off synthesis. I think the reason that Kontakt has become so popular is that they come with ready-made sounds which don't need much doing to change the sounds. If you include too much ability to change the sounds I think that defeats the object of what Kontakt is supposed to be - a glorified Wave player with its own glorified EQ of varying descriptions. Look all those controls on Omnisphere? Too much, very off-putting, hardly use it. I think that in short, if you're interested in a lot of controls Kontakt is not the place to look, look at proper synthesizers.

5. CentralComposers

CentralComposers Newbie

I'd have to disagree, there is too little for Omnisphere yet alone too much! :rofl: :rofl:

I personally like to have control over quite a lot of the controls in Kontakt straight from the GUI especially if it is a library built for pads. The one feature I find attractive and useful is to morph 2+ sounds from the GUI without me pressing too many buttons or twisting too many knobs. (Wheyy!)

Although Kontakt is a wave player/sample player, I feel that I shouldn't just treat it as some 'wave/sample player', it is incredible what people have done when they turn the patches into full custom, knob twisting, button pressing interfaces that let you completely change and manipulate a sound.

6. uber909

uber909 Member

I second that, but there may be too many windows... and that browser is bit confusing.

I'm sure (and hope) we'll see a huge improvement in april, with Omnisphere 2 :wink: