What works on linux - guides and tips

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Andrew, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

It's cool. I would change my daws in a heartbeat when there was a vst wrapper for linux.
    In the future i think that linux will be the way for stability and daws.
    Windows has become more and more an tool for coorporations and "stability" with theyre unnecesary "updates" for "security"
    I think in about 2-5 years from now we will see linux taking over the Daw "cult"
    Windows will be a government tool when Linux wil be a creative option for all kinds of artists.
    Microsoft has become an verry irritating software as to say at least.

2. livemouse

livemouse Producer

Yabridge works really well, but it doesn't work on 100% of plugins. But does one need 100% of the plugins?

Linux performs worse with a RT kernel with audio.

was on Manjaro a while, uses pipewire which obsoleted Jack in my experience. But I got rid of manjaro and installed just plain Arch (using the Arch iso and the archinstall script that includes pipewire in the audio setup), for the window manager, installed the dreaded XFCE, a Desktop that looks like windows 85, but It's really lean so I know the processing isn't being wasted on a flashy modern environment. Reaper-Linux and Yabridge with wine-staging works ok, but I'll need to keep testing. It's important for Reaper users to run their plugins as either a separate or dedicated process because they can crash the DAW randomly. Linux keeps getting exponentially better. probably because all told it's probably on more devices than any other OS at this point, taking servers, android, and etc into consideration.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  3. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

A lot of things works, on my youtube channel I have a Linux corner :yes: