What Windows OS Firewall Are You Currently Using?

Discussion in 'PC' started by NYCGRIFF, Feb 23, 2016.

?

What Windows OS Firewall Are You Currently Using?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2016.
  1. Comodo

18.2%
  2. Windows Firewall

31.8%
  3. ZoneAlarm

9.1%
  4. ESET Smart Security

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Router's Built-In Firewall

18.2%
  6. Other

31.8%
  7. None

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Over the years, I've used just about every firewall on the market for all of my Windows-based computers. Currently, I'm using both a hardware (router) and software ("Windows10FirewallControl" FREE) methods. I'm posting this survey just to get a feel of what others are deploying.

3. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

I've been using Windows Firewall for ages as well. I think it's great, and, like you, I've tried most firewalls out there.

The trick is to use third party software to make it easy to configure, like Windows Firewall Control, TinyWall or GlassWire.

Cheers,

R.

4. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Agreed. Especially, for folks who maybe are not quite familiar with how to properly configure a firewall.

5. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/

lightweight windows firewall frontend, been using it for years

edit: oops, already mentioned multiple times

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

@NYCGRIFF I use the comodo firewall - not the comodo internet security thingy which includes antivirus and stuff I don't want.
    I prefer it over the windows firewall because it has a host intrusion protection system.

7. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

Kapersky all the way.......!

8. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Don't worry, like Windows Firewall Control (similar), and multiple topics about firewalling such this or many other you can find by typing "firewall" from search tool...

9. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Yes i use that one too i think it´s the best one :)

10. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

11. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I had enough from all that Firewalls, Antiviruses, Anti Spam and things.
    I find it much simpler and lighter on the system, to have a "multi boot / multi OS" setup.

- Linux for the net
    - Win7 stripped of everything for my small man`s cave studio

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

[windir]\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and the packet-filter that is included in every Windows since ... dunno when. No need for anything else.

13. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

True. But, trust me, the process of dealing with that "host" file is not that simple for the 'casual' user.

14. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

Yeah, with all things that mess with the system one's got to know a) what's going on in those regions of an OS and b) you gotta know [EDIT] how to revert changes that you made.

Being from the computer profession, let me add the following: security via Firewalls (ZoneAlarm etc; that's something different than a packet filter) is impossible. For the tech-savvy amongst us: you can initiate "secret communication" on standard TCP/IP-port 80 traffic - which is what every browser does. Meaning: Unless you block that vital port/protocol, no Firewall can do anything against anything "backdoorish" that rides the regular browser-communication like a surfer the waves.

That technique is known since over a decade.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  15. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

Linux stems from a system so old that the first attempt to compromise it was probably from Sir Walter Raleigh himself :)

In theory, yes, the security mechanisms of Linux are profound: it comes from a multi-user-environment and therefore had always mechanisms on board to contain code and data neatly.

Regardless of that: Linux carries heavy burdens in the form of old standard-libraries, still widely used as of today. Heartbleed from last year and glibc-vulnerability from last week outline this malaise pretty drastically. Vulnerabilities like these make networking somewhat similar to lying down in a bad neighborhood with yellow pointers all over your cloths, indicating where you stash your wallet and your precious smartphone. Not bashing Linux (I run way too many Linux-servers and find it a splendid OS for that task) but in layman's terms: Not even Linux comes with "built in" super-security. You still need to know if you've got an SSH-daemon or some wicket telnet-thingie running.

Seeking for something really secure? OpenBSD from a nutjob called Theo de Raath (spelling?). Now, THAT OS is super secure ... disadvantage: you won't be able to run anything DAW-like or any "modernish" desktop/multi-media-application on it. It's really, really tight.

Best firewall? Your brain. Don't click on anything and when you visit the "shadier" parts of the internet ... make sure your browser is up to par with the dangers you might encounter there. It's not the operating systems that drag you pants down ... it's vulnerabilites in applications, especially browsers. That's how OSX gets hacked right quick and browsers/plugins are the main vectors.

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I use different computers for different things, e.g. Daw (W7) is offline, finance/personal on linux, this kind on stuff on Win 10, etc.

17. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

As for my main DAW (Win 7 Ultimate x64), that's a whole different beast. I've never (ever) had it connected to the Internet. Once I installed it and updated all the necessary drivers (via USB) that was that. It safely sits amongst a sea of keyboards, MIDI sequencers, etc. No firewall needed in that instance. As for the other systems on my home network, they're all hardware and software firewalled.

18. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

@BBSiteUser
    I agree that there is no OS that is secure if someone want to use all the "goodies" from the net...
    But it depends on what are Your needs...

- My needs are just to keep my DAW part of the PC private
    I don`t use internet banking and similar stuff... that fore, a multi boot is the best solution I found so far.

19. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

Windows Firewall Control. It's not a firewall per se but enhanced interface for native Windows Firewall. It's ultra light and offers everything you need from a firewall.

20. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Windows 7's firewall + Google Chrome with AdBlock for me.

21. mageye

mageye Producer

While people are on the topic of using hosts files (personally I find it to be one of the more effective and underrated methods to generally cut down a lot of crap).

I based my hosts file on a ad server block-list and it's one that gets updated. Perhaps there are better ones out there, but this one has helped me.

I am mainly an OSX user but hosts files work on whatever OS. I will use the same hosts file on all of my different installations.

It's here with instructions, for the uninitiated:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Oh and one little point to make: BE SURE THAT YOU DON'T REMOVE ANY BLOCKS THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY PUT IN YOUR HOSTS FILE (OBVIOUSLY!)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016