What Windows firewall are you using? (2024 edition)

Discussion in 'PC' started by Barncore, Jan 3, 2024.

Tags:
  1. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

OK, we are getting the picture.
    But as the post asks:
    What Windows firewall are you using? (2024 edition)

2. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I'll be honest, i don't quite know what DNS is exactly, haha. I've heard the term but i don't understand it.

Question for you. Do you think the Malwarebytes WFC (which is a 3rd party front-end for Windows Firewall basically) and Portmaster would work well in tandem together?
    Or would it be better to use just one?

I guess Portmaster can do the things that WFC can do anyway? The value of WFC to me is getting a popup when something's trying to connect, specifically as it pertains to sister site plugins/software and spyware etc. Can Portmaster do that?

3. DigitalAge

DigitalAge Kapellmeister

I'm happy with Windows Defender/Firewall

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Contol

5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Portmaster and many others can give a lot more information than WFC does.
    I like WFC because it is pretty simple.
    I had several 'traffic control' things I tried when I was on slower internet and also using Wifi on a couple of computers, and those were helpful, but with good speeds I don't really have a need now, and I'm not too curious what is trying to connect ... as long as it can't. :bow:

6. Audio-Sneeze

Audio-Sneeze Noisemaker

Yeah, Portmaster has prompts. I mean, its up to you what you like and what you trust. WFC/TinyWall/SimpleWall work great for most people. I like more data / I dont like WFC anymore (I got prompt fatigue) and I like how portmaster organizes everything if you dont want prompts all the time (I have prompts disabled, set to block automatically, and add stuff as needed).

7. HikaruSniper

HikaruSniper Ultrasonic

SimpleWall, it's a better TinyWall cause it adds a basic feature that TinyWall lacks, and that is pop-ups asking what to do with every program attempting to establish a connection.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. EsotericJ

EsotericJ Newbie

I've tried PortMaster but I felt overwhelmed not knowing enough about networking. I'm using WFC at the moment, but again lacking the knowledge I sometimes don't know whether or not I should block or allow. Can anyone point me in the right direction, and possibly tell me what needs an internet connection as far as windows services? I'm OCD about security because my laptop is new and I have an irrational fear that I'm allowing unnecessary connections/ports that is leaving me vulnerable. Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Moofus

Moofus Ultrasonic

Glasswire - the option to 'click to allow' when installing software is so much easier - and it uses windows firewall so resources not that bad overall. It continually builds rule up so when switching modes you don;t lose previously set rules. Setting to click to block leaves everything you said don;t allow behind the firewall.

10. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I ended up deciding to use WFC alongside Portmaster.

WFC for prompting and PM in default mode to handle everything else (default filter lists and set to Allow mode. Set and forget).

Portmaster is basically like uBlock Origin but at the operating system level.

And then i used O&O ShutUp and Ultimate Windows Tweaker to disable the Windows spying.

Done. And all for free.

11. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

No-one else ever seems to mention it, but it's the best firewall available atm as far as I've found; largely because it functions like firewalls did before they started getting bloated and consolidated by horrible companies.

Sphinx-soft's Windows 10 Firewall Control

(not to be confused with MalwareBytes 'Windows Firewall Control')

12. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Windows does an OK job and is usually safe enough with the default settings as far as ports go, but there may be some services one can block and maybe there will be some tips posted about ports / services that are safe to block, as you say.
    I usually just disable services that I don't want running, but I don't think I have blocked any from connecting...yet :cool:

WFC has clickable links to the location of the program, and I believe also to look online.
    I usually look online for any program I am unsure of.
    Usually a person can guess because they initiated the program.
    If I run an "alternative" version of something then I will block everything that asks to connect.
    If something pops up I don't know about, I will usually choose "Block for now and ask me later" and search online about it.
    I click the link first so I don't forget the name, because once i choose "block for now..." it will close the popup window and then I have to look in the connection log.
    I think that aspect (having to learn what to allow) is part of running "alternative" software.

13. CMAudioz

CMAudioz Member

ESET Internet Security, for years now, works very well.

14. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Netlimiter 4/5, I actually prefer annoying popups so I know what's going on all the time,

I didn't like Simplewall and Tinywall because they aren't user-friendly for more advanced stuff, one of them breaks remote desktop right away, and another one breaks everything by default - I ocassionally spin them in a VM but they're way too imperfect for daily use for my needs
    :chilling:

15. rhsc54kwq

rhsc54kwq Newbie

At the point of entry for my network, I use pFsense. I also have PiHole running unbound hanging of the server. On individual PCs, I use Malwarebytes (https://binisoft.org/). It's very straight forward and does the job nicely without a lot of worry. I also run a VPN with a kill switch and a proxy.

16. Audio-Sneeze

Audio-Sneeze Noisemaker

Yeah, theres a bit of a learning curve with portmaster, but its pretty awesome once you get the hang of it :yes:

If anyone's familiar with Chris Titus tools for windows, it was just added into his toolbox repository, its gaining popularity now.

17. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

Personally no firewall, however all the applications are ran OFFLINE and licensed on a virtual network card. This allows me to be fully offline when running these "Call Home" license daemons.

I would prefer Tinywall due to low overhead and low cpu/ram usage.

18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

NO firewall (no av either) on any production machine since no production machine is internet connected. For internet connected machines outpost firewall 9.3 runs.

19. tnodir

tnodir Newbie

Fort Firewall :wink:

20. bluebone

bluebone Member

SimpleWall + Windows X-Lite = my peace of mind.