What 'Waves Ultimate' do you recommend me?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ElMoreno, Jun 27, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

1. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

What better working 'Waves Ultimate' version do you recommend me for my plugs setup?
    (iMac Intel/Monterey/Logic Pro)

Thanks for help & tips :mates:

3. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

It's been awhile since I installed any Waves stuff myself, but traditionally, or recently following it, RET always seems to be solid.

4. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

You mean any version is good?

5. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

No, I don't mean that. I haven't tested or tried most of the latest versions myself, so I'm probably the wrong person to have answered your question, but I do know a bit about what people say and good releasers and whatnot, and RET is, from my understanding, ex-R2R or current, and I do not know of problems with his/hers/their releases in general, and everything I have used from RET has been just fine and meticulously done.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

They take up too much space. If you don't care, v15 sounds ok for Intel users. There are a bunch I like, but none which cannot be easily replaced. Especially with all the Plugin Alliance happenings recently. The problem is if you have people sending you work where they have used them. I can make way better use of that empty ssd space for other plugins. At the individual plugin level, they don't really merit installing Waves Central just for a few of them in 2024.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Yeah, I agree @clone , and why I haven't gone there yet myself. I certainly don't feel a need for 95% of it at least, probably more. There are a couple I would or could use in regards to legacy projects, or have been handy utilities in the past, but with a lot of releases from Plugin Alliance and some others lately, I concur, nothing that feels worth the voluminous space a lot of it requires, which brings me to my question:

I have downloaded the RET package and the assets to install from Waves etc, and I haven't had the time yet as packing up stuff and whatever... can you easily buffet style this install and take, say, 7-10 things you might want, or is it a matter of installing the full boat and then an arduous or rather boring "uninstall" process? (and I know asking is inherent laziness as "just try and find out jackass" is the right answer ;) )...

But I guess I don't know, and won't even bother if it's not, as I haven't installed a new Waves package in 4-5 years at least, and that was on my 5,1's, and had a fair amount of projects using a few of them... but in 2024, ... they just don't hold the same appeal or need for me with other options available.. and I don't know if Waves Central now is an all or nothing affair... so if it's "all", and uninstalling the junk and detritus and one knob crap is gonna take more then 20 minutes... I'm out.. so tl/dr lol, when the answer to the question is just a yes or no. thanks.

(but you point is right on about the situation with having other people send you projects with them strapped in, and well... I don't feel like the bloat just to entertain that really I guess...)

edit: looks like one can do it "buffet style, which is good.. I just wonder if it's a pita redux if later you want to add a few in situations as mentioned above... well, guess I will just find out. :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024 at 5:48 PM
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

There were a recent batch of RET non-Waves releases on one day I could not get to work at all on my system. They looked to be an official download directly, and then "update" via modified file substitutions. But other people had no luck with them either. I chalked that up to my outdated MacOS, which I just reinstalled last night, actually. The furthest thing from my mind is installing Waves again. Most of the plugins I even like to use from them are all included in V9. The newer PA plugins suffice for anything I would use Waves for, or close enough.

If I have some old project that was not finished, I would just load it with all the plugins disabled and then remove the abandoned ones anyway. A new mix is going to be more "fresh air" into something unfinished anyway. Or everything is already stemmed/printed.

I am using 0 Waves, and 0 Acustica plugins at this point. Figuring out substitutions is a good way to learn some new ones. You can pick and choose plugins you install "ala carte", but I've never done it. We can move plugins in/out of /Components so easily I'd just do it that way, instead of unchecking them in the Logic Plugin Manager. Separate Mono copies of every plugin get disabled immediately for me anyway.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Yeah, my last waves install was V9 as well (just looked at one of my venerable 5,1's that I am bouncing a bunch of songs tracks to audio for newer system as not going to have all the plugs and whatnot.. (and not in the sense you are talking about above, with which I heartily agree, ...more like things that are never going beyond 32 bit in terms of instruments, or plugins with companies gone out of business that had a thing etc... or not feeling like paying exorbitant upgrade fees for something I don't plan on necessarily using again, but did play an important role on some performance or something, or was part and parcel in a dependency on a track that is not going to be replicated with any ease)..

So yup, I'm Waves: 0 and Acoustica: 0 right now.

And while there are some quick-n-easy things that waves has brought to me in the past...I just went over to their site and perused through the 14 pages of their plugins, .....and I really couldn't think of one I felt compelled about at all...

sure, some I know well, and know how to get around quickly on a few, and can be a crutch for something quickly... but that's not a real reason.

as I don't care unless certain things, (and yeah, 5 years+ later (sometimes 10-15) on a track that has been pulled out for some reason to be readdressed..) and/or unless I have to... f'it, and I'd rather blank slate that unless something was just special or unique in it's own right for some reason, as usually, I guess if it was, or the track was that 'important' lol (and not a re-issue or recall or whatnot in which the requirements can be different), it would have seen the light of day already and be done with and gone and done it's thing or not.

But then something random tends to show up that throws a monkey wrench in that, with some older release, or song, or collaborator where something is asked for for a film/ad/tv/album remix/song not released/b-side/failed song with one singer that some other artist wants to do now or something/and the long road of all that...

and while I keep my old systems on ice, they are certainly not always with me or available, and my new plan was to fit everything for the most part in a 19" carryon (outside of the guitar neck and extended keyboard cooperating with that), have decent laptop, mic, drives, interface: will travel, and hopefully be able to do pretty much whatever wherever... and so far so good...

but sigh, then you get that call again on something, and its money you certainly would rather have then not, and that system is in another state, or another country.... but that's how it goes I guess with the life decisions apparently I have made or failed to make.

Thanks for helping convince me to stick to my original conviction with my new system of breaking from the past in most regards, and going more parsimonious and selective.

So while I've had to get in front of some things, and making sure I have some of it bridged to 'now' for imminent work already scheduled, I was getting close to falling off the wagon there...

thanks for the save. :)

:bow:

10. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

i want to say to you , that today exists alternatives to waves plugins... for example: RBass its an enhancer bass... look the best alternative and be happy.