What version of Kontakt should i be going for?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zomgspybot, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Zomgspybot

Zomgspybot Newbie

I currently have a really old cracked 5.3.0 for windows which i would like to update or start a newer version as most new libraries i find here wont work with it because its so old.

Having a look through the search i found some called portable and i have no idea what that's about. Also found some mac ones but cant find an up to date windows kontakt. Would i need to remove the old one entirely and then put a new one on or can i just replace a few files with an update? Sorry iabout the multiple questions but i have no idea when it comes to kontakt.

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I recommend you to try a portable version because are easier to install and can coexist with a non-portable one.
    Still, I'd also recommend you to uninstall the 5.3 one. It won't let you install a newer (non-portable) one.

4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I would suggest to use 5.8.1 (newest afaik)
    For me it worked well to install the last full R2R release (5.6.1) and then just copy the files from the so called "Symlink" installs. I just rename the old files and copy the new files to the "program files" directory and the directory where the VSTs reside. This way you can have all versions you like side by side, if you want (for VSTs this works for some DAW e.g. Live 10, but not for Cubase 9).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I would go for twoheart advice, perhaps the best balance for your needs.

6. Adman

Adman Noisemaker

Not for Cubase 9?

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

But it'd still run just fine.
    You just would have more work in case you want to change the kontakt version.
    @twoheart correct me if I'm wrong, I use the symlink versions so I'm not sure.

8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Sorry, typo, I meant Live 9. It uses the the first (?) version it finds in the VST2 directory and it's subdirectories even if I rename the .DLL.
    Live 10 now recognizes the different versions of Kontakt .DLLs if I give them different names.
    For Cubase I did not test lately.

9. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Ok, just to give a complete answer:
    It was even right for Cubase 9. Cubase will recognize the first appearamce of a VST2 .DLL in the VST path/subdirectories and ignores all others. The DAWs distinguish the .DLLs by a "magic number" that's embedded in the .DLL. So, for Cubase 9/Live 9 (and older) all Konatkt 5 .DLLs are the same VST instrument.
    I don't have Cubase 9.5 installed, so I can't say if it's the same for that version. But I guess, they won't change the behaviour of VST2 because they ended the support for VST2 anyways.

10. celtic3342

celtic3342 Audiosexual

5.8.1 Symlink deleting 5.3 in your case.

11. Zomgspybot

Zomgspybot Newbie

Hey thanks for the suggestion, i installed portable however i am having issues adding libraries i either get the ''No library found'' or it will find a some libraries but they will be locked with that padlock. Am i doing something wrong here?

12. Zomgspybot

Zomgspybot Newbie

Ah nevermind i was being dense, got portable working fine now. I may stick with this one for now. Thaks for the helpful responses.

13. Adman

Adman Noisemaker