What Type of Ambient/Downtempo Genre is This?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Meteo Xavier, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Meteo Xavier

Meteo Xavier Ultrasonic

Hi there. For an upcoming album project, I want to pursue an album full of songs like what is linked to below this paragraph and I want to listen to more and study more, but I can't seem to find more of this and don't know what to look for.

Here are some very rough starting places I've begun at. Track 1's pad is not supposed to be glitching like that and I don't know why it's doing it, but I can fix it if it goes to Final.

The songs in this album and this general style I'm going for are characterized by 70-100BPM beats with some weight but not too heavy, some additional ethnic percussion as suitable, chordal pads that have a mildly "celestial" quality about them, melodies that stand out, heavy sub, smooth bass to have a marked density, highly reverbed and delayed lead synths, lead pianos, lead santoor, maybe oboe and flute. I remember hearing some songs back throughout my history that sound like this, but I can't find them now and don't know what they're called. The closest I can find now are the following:

Closest I get to is maybe Psybient or Trip-Hop? I looked around at other "ambience with a beat" genres but they all have elements in them that I don't really want to include - either too EDM or trance-sounding, too much hip-hop jazz (the Lo-Fi beats bandwagon) or too "weed and mushrooms" shit. I'm not doing those things here, but I don't know what else to look at.

What is this type of music called and can you recommend me some other albums/artists who make the kind of music I have in my above sample?

Thank you!

3. Meteo Xavier

Meteo Xavier Ultrasonic

Need to BUMP this now that there's more people online and probably would have a better chance to be seen and responded to.

4. Divyanshu

Divyanshu Newbie

This is Chill Hop