What to do when HDD dies

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by martel80, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Martel80
    It was a tough one my friend (almost unholy) but I'm glad I persevered in the end. Yes back to work it is. So much to do. *yes*

2. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Doing a recent PC repair for someone,I came across a really strange problem,hard drive shows up,says it's unallocated and has no partition,but wont let me create a partition table and format,errors.I've tried just about everything,Arconis,HDregenerator,about every tool on Hirens,Parted Magic,even tried a windows install disc, Low level format tool errors.Only thing I've gotten to work at all is DD Rescue,it fills the whole drive with zeros,so far I got 14.5 gb done in 24 min,it's a 500gb drive,lol gonna take forever,and still may not work,but worth a try,this at least runs.Be awesome if I could repartition/format afterwards.I looked at many S.m.a.r.t. tests,it says it has some bad sectors like 30 but it doesn't get hot,runs at like 30 or 40 c,and it tests as good.It's weird.It's on a Win 8 pc,with uefi.It was doing weird things when I got it,for instance you know how Win8 pc's Bios have either a secure boot or Legacy and one disables the other,well they were both on( I know totally weird) I got that back to normal with some tinkering.Everytime it starts up I get a hard drive warning asking to run diagnostic,theres a quick test and an extended test,the weird part is it'll pass one and fail the 2nd one regardless whether you do the quick first or the extended.Strange! It's prolly bad but I'm gonna try one last ditch attempt at it,just gonna let it run 13 or so hrs. :rofl:
    And most likely even if I miraculously got it to work,it's gonna either randomly error or freeze or run slow,so I need to just have em get a new HDD or an SSD. But yeah they prolly dropped it or something.I've also noticed doing lots of PC repairs that sata drives seem to go out more than ide.I hope SSD's don't share that,but there's no moving parts in an SSD so prolly not,I always wondered if they don't have their own kinds of problems.But either way the performance boost is enough to want one. Anyway,that's just a lil thing I've been dealing with I thought I'd share with yall. :dunno: :snuffy: :wink:

3. Titan

Titan Member

Btw maybe it would sound dull but, it worked for me. Somewhere i read (cant recall) that the last move you can do to recover anything from a dying HDD, is to place the HDD in a plastic bag and put it in refrigerator for about 30mins. Beware about the ice ofcourse. After that try to access it . Sometimes it works. This technique is used by some hardware engineers. Dont know if it will work for you, but for me it did, definately i couldn't access all the sectors of the HDD but i backedup 90% of it.

4. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

What would I do when my HDD/SSD die?

That would mark the end of ego-driven life!
    I'd throw it all away, all the hardware, laptops, mobile phones, feeling as happy as never before. Finally the burden is away, the fear of data loss is over, I am Lancelot who has nothing to lose! Begone materialism.
    That would be the best day of life.

I'd get old dusty upright piano, few pencils and paper and started to write music as our ancestors did. :rofl:

5. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Years ago I used to work for a company that was involved in PC repair. My boss used to do freelance data recovery; and I will tell you it can be fairly intensive. Gotta keep those backups rolling!