What to do when HDD dies

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by martel80, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Vengeance samples are overrated, I have some but I will delete them as soon as I need the space. Basically the assholes at Vengeance sampled elements from other people's work and now sell them as their own while being critical of those that crack software such as Nexus. Also a lot of kicks will have hi-hat elements on top that make things annoying as well.

2. martel80

martel80 Producer

Hey guys,

I've just used Ontrack Easy Recovery that Lukehh told me about.

IT WORKED !!!

But i have a problem now.....i have 3 HD pluged,
    - The C: ( OK )
    - The D: ( the corrupted one )
    - The F: ( the big Caviar Black one where i wanted to send my datas )

The problem now is that my pc dont recognize the F: ....and i dont know why seriously.

It worked before i unplugged it and plugged the corrupted one .

Is it my sata wire that is broked ??

3. martel80

martel80 Producer

i ust tryed to plug a new sata wire on my F:

Now its says it is corru^pted too....

What is going on seriously ?

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Are you sure it isn't malware?

5. martel80

martel80 Producer

whats the best tool to verify that ??

4 years ago i used to have an anti virus but i was always catching trojan and worms .....since i stoped using antivirus , my pc never slwed down.

So whats the best tool to scan my pc for viruses ?

6. martel80

martel80 Producer

Well, i talk french too.
    But the problem is not recognizing it.

Is that i cant access it.

But the problem is solved now...

I unplugged my DVD and plugged the F: drive with is sata wire.

Now everything works like a charm and im almost finished transferring all of my data from de default drive to the caviar black.

But seriously, ......i think Catalyst is right.

It must be a virus or something.

Because i can hardly believe that my 1 1/2 years old ( storage ) caviar black is dying and had the need to have a checkdisk recovering and erasing like i had a couple hours ago.

7. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Martel buddy...No, and once again No..this was no virus. Your Harddrive simply is corrupt. If you dont believe just download this tool Hitachi Drive Fitness Test for Windows:
    http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads/#WINDFT

or alternative the older version that runs as a self bootable tool. Hitachi Drive Fitness Test
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ibm_hitachi_drive_fitness_test.html

The last thing you can try after analyzing your disk with this tool is, you can make low level formatting of the drive (also with this tool) and after this analyze it again..sometimes it works ... but nevertheless I would prefer not to use this disk again for important data.

And believe me that no virus is able to destroy your hard disk!!! *yes*

8. martel80

martel80 Producer

Well, yeah, you were right.

My D: was just damaged, but ive been able to empty the date from that disk into my caviar black.

But when i pluged my caviar black in sata....when i reboot it made a checkdisk on the caviar black and corrected some errors and bad sectors....so i dont understand how this disk can be damaged as i only use it to drop data on it.

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Maybe the data you were dumping was from a section of the hard drive that was corrupted. :dunno:

I'm still happy that you were at least able to get something off of the drive. Hopefully I will be able to post good news about my computer soon too. :beg:

Ps lukehh you're wrong malware can cause issues such as this. *yes*

10. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

No..sorry..but this is not correct! He had bad sectors on the disk.

Sector 2 is unreadable
    Sector 16 is unreadable
    Sector 40 is unreadable
    Sector 41 is unreadable
    Sector 42 is unreadable
    Sector 70 is unreadable
    Sector 84 is unreadable
    Sector 92 is unreadable
    Sector 144 is unreadable

thats the output from chkdisk (as he mailed me)

For information about sector damage read this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

11. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Well I was referring to system drive issues such as changes to the registry or the deletion of important Windows files. On my system I ran a barrage of tests today and all hardware passed so I don't get it. I also had difficulty even running a Knoppix disc which came up with no filesystem could mount root errors. Maybe the copy was damaged but who knows I will run further tests later today with a new disc.

12. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

And I was referring on the problem of this thread! *yes*

Hehe..no, but due to the description of Martel80 the only possible reason for his hard disk problem could be something like bad sectors. The drive was not his system drive, his system needed endless time to boot, but it was detected correctly by the BIOS. I had this symptoms many times with my own hard disks and friends ones. This is typically!

13. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

This thread has three problems now: Martel80, Catalyst and tiimp. This is a what to do when your hard drive dies thread, is it not? Think of it as a brainstorming session that will provide help for the people asking for it as well as future readers who might also need a helping hand. :wink:

14. korgrog

korgrog Member

might have been a low voltage problem, or your dvd drive is messed up , when you unplugged it the problem when away,
    fixed a computer once for a friend of my son , had all kind of weird problems , It was the dvd drive messing up
    systems voltages or the bios boot up, guess it is something to keep in mind, for trouble shooting first disconnect
    everything except the drive you are having trouble with , should have mentioned this earlier but it is something I
    do when working on computers so automatic I forgot to mention it :thumbsup:

15. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

good idea, scientific methodology will save you every time!

:)

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

korgrog
    Thanks for the suggestion man. I had a feeling that it was the disc (it was older and not in the best shape) and it proved correct because I burned another copy of Knoppix today and it's up and running. Now maybe I can replace the Windows Registry with my backups and see if that can't restore my computer to it's former glory. :beg:

The good news is that at least now I can listen to some music while I slip further and further into dementia. :rofl:

17. martel80

martel80 Producer

Dont give up mate !!
    Youll do it .
    Take your time and everything will finaly end up in place.

Thanks for your tips by the way, im back in Nuendo now.

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I won't give up because a repair would be catastrophic at this point. No bother on the tips, I felt your pain and not only because I was going through it simulataneously. I know when suddenly you stand to lose data that means the world to you and some of it irreplaceable it can really add a heavy load on your shoulders. I'm really happy that you've got things sorted. By the way just for these kinds of emergencies I suggest that you download a copy of either the CD or the DVD of Knoppix. It's actually a really cool and useful environment that has saved me many a time. Download the Iso burn it to disc and have it with you for those nightmare moments where time stands still. It will serve you well, I promise. :wink:

19. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Up and running after a power session last night. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

When I got back up I still had some problems with my video card drivers and I might have to reinstall my antivirus software but I'll take it. What helped me the most? Knoppix. Besides the fact that it gave me an environment to watch a video in order to relax a little and provide my brain with a much needed rest it allowed me to work with Windows system files even though all Windows methods were failing (Regular Boot, Last Known Good, Safe Mode and Recovery Console) I was able to operate unfettered without having to worry about the registry being in use and all those other headaches. I've said it before and I'll say it again: always keep a good Live CD on hand. If you don't currently utilize them in your repair operations then the question is: well why not? Take my advice and immediately after you read this message, integrate them into your disaster recovery plan. Here I'll make it easy for you: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html When it saves your life you'll remember this moment. :wink:

20. martel80

martel80 Producer

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Finaly :P

Lets get back to work :P