What to do when HDD dies

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by martel80, Jul 23, 2013.

1. martel80

martel80 Producer

My BIOS do see the disk ( i see the code name in the bios for that disk ) but my pc wont start when this HD is connected.

So do you think i can use your program ?

Thanks guys.....this situation is realy hard to live seriously.
    Also thank you for not pointing out what i SHOULD HAVE DO ( because i learned it....you all know i did learn the lesson so no need to put it on my nose again, its realy not a necessary rudeness if there is any type of human valor in you )

Thanks for those who try to help, its realy deeply apreciated.

2. Blister

Blister Newbie

aaah........just wanted to say, i feel your pain!! :snuffy:

3. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

For system drives/partitions that is a good solution (I do it with my 70 gb system partition), but good luck imaging a 500 gb or more hd ...in that case you could better simply buy another hard drive and make an exact copy...

4. martel80

martel80 Producer

+1

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You're not going to believe this but I am going through the exact same fucking thing so more empathetic I could not be. I'm good with computers, maybe I can help. Please answer the following questions:
    1) Have you made any recent changes such as the addition of software, internal or external hardware? Is it possible that you got infected by malware?
    2) Can you boot into Safe Mode?
    3) If you can then as soon as Windows loads you should immediately run System Restore and choose a restore point before the event happened. Don't go too far back just enough that you know it's before this happened.
    4) If you can't get into Safe Mode does booting from your Windows disc work? If so you will have the ability to utilize Recovery Console but you're going to have to work in a DOS environment. Are you using an OEM version of Windows or a retail version?

6. martel80

martel80 Producer

1) no i havent had any software. This disk only contained My samples library + Music + Tutorial. No software at all.

2)when that drive (D:)is plugged, no....i cant boot in safe mode neither.

3)i Cant

4)Recovery console does not work either....it just go on a black screen and stay there.....nothing happen ( when the D: drive is plugged )

7. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

The next step if software solutions fail could be to search for the exact same hd, buy it and switch the controller from the new one to your hard drive, because the controller is a main failure point (if you don't have a headcrash). But of course you should have some knowledge how to disassemble a hard drive.

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Okay so this is either a secondary internal or an external so therefore it's not your main system drive, I must have missed that. Sorry I'm working on an iPad at the moment which is why it's also taking me 2 days to respond. Do you know about Live CD's? I would get to another computer and burn a good Live CD to disk, Knoppix is perfect. Download the DVD version if you do because it's better and a good tool to have on hand just in case. It basically loads up Linux from the disc and that can be a good platform for problem solving when life is sucking all you have left out of you. Also there are Live CD's based off of Windows operating systems so maybe you would prefer that. I also echo other member's recommendations for an Acronis backup of the entire drive. If this is an external with an easy open case then you could also carefully take out the drive and connect it internally. Only do that if you are very careful and have a general idea of what you're doing though.

9. martel80

martel80 Producer

that was an internal drive ( im on a desktop, so no big deal doing this )

I think my only way to try a software on that drive is to put it in a external box and plug it in usb so i can point the software recovery in that direction.

Otherwise, my pc just wont start at all.

10. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You could try that too. You should know though that if you can boot from your Windows disc you can most certainly boot from a Live CD. If you can't then your options become limited. I think your drive might have gotten corrupted just like mine. That's very weird though, what are the chances? Get one of those external drive cases and try that, even if it doesn't work at least you have a useful tool that will benefit you in the future. I'm sorry this is happening to you, believe me I know how much it sucks. *yes* :snuffy:

11. martel80

martel80 Producer

Yes it was corrupted.

Before it stoped working i had a blue screen saying that wiindows was emptying memory .
    The reboot after, the disc was dead.

12. korgrog

korgrog Member

try it on another computer, as a secondary drive on sata or ide to see if you can read it

put it in the freezer for an hour to cool it off ,this works sometimes,then pull your data off

quick before it heats up

Good luck

13. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

I BET YOU CAN BOOT YOUR COMPUTER WITH THIS DISK CONNECTED...ahh shit sorry for Caps my CAPSLOCK was active! You should try again and wait, wait wait (my computer sometimes need up to 10 minutes to boot if a damaged disk is connected)....You properly have bad sectors in the TOC of the disk. If this doesnt work, buy yourself either an external hard disk USB housing or use an IDE/SATA to USB Connector (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005P0UYX8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/277-9074568-6914727?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1C8YJYCSD3RWBSN8J2Q6&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=330045107&pf_rd_i=B000W064DK) then first boot your computer and then connect the damaged disk to it and start the Program and wait it detects the disk. And remember..even if the system booted any work with it with a damaged disk connected is a pain in the ass..opening Explorer will need endless time..and dont click on the drive as this also will take a long time till your computer will react again! Simply put the program I mentioned to your desktop and as its a portable version just start it as admin and wait till it detects the damaged drive.

Ahh..also make sure you have a working disk with enough free disk space connected to save the recovered data to.

14. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

put your hd into deep freeze for 1 day and try then. your problem sound like an electronic problem. sometimes deep freezing helps to reset some hardware ICs.

15. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Dont do it that way!! If your BIOS detect the disk but system doesnt start its nearly 100% sure you have damaged blocks in the first sector (MBR) of the disk. Electronic damage would normally make the disk not being recognized by the BIOS..then usually the disk controller has a damage.

Freezing it and later connect it will let some condensed water find its way into the disk! Try it the way I described! PATIENCE is the key to success! Your system will boot if you connect it of cause not as system disk but as disk D: ..I bet 10 bucks on it!:)

16. martel80

martel80 Producer

Ok,i will give it an hour to boot and let you know about the result

17. BoomBEZEL

BoomBEZEL Newbie

Try Wondershare.com I heard it does a good job at recovering files even if the HD is damaged permanently My link

18. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Wondershare also is doing a good job..but "Ontrack EasyRecovery Enterprise" is better as I experienced.

http://www.krollontrack.co.uk/software/easyrecovery/

@Martel..hope you checked you PM already!

19. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Simply Restore from the backup you KNOW you should have :dunno:

20. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Otherwise it's costly to send to lab and not guaranteed.