What to Do if you buy a preowned ilok with licenses on, but you dont have the Account Data for?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThugLife, Nov 21, 2018.

1. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Hey Everyone,

I Hope someone has a Solution to the Problems i ran into, now, 2 years After i bought my preowned studio.
    Actually i have two Questions but as I dont think they fit together, I will make another thread for that.
    To make it short: i bought a complete preowned studio like I Said, and along with other things i got a Mac with a Lot of original licenses on for a Lot of plugins we all love, pro tools 10 and an ilok with the licenses for pro tools on.
    Everything was Set up Working so i didnt care About that since i had to recover from that Investment But now I'm finally considering to take advantage of the Black friday sales.
    Now I tried to buy and they want to know if you Already have an ilok Account. In the ilok Manager, there is no login Data saved and to me it looks like the licenses have never been Registered to an Account. Can this be True?
    If so, do i just need to Register, tell them my Account and have the pro tools license on that Account then too?
    And by the way, is there Any way to then use those plugins on two Different locations Systems and so on. The Mac is still on Mountain lion and i cant update since im using a control 24 and have to stay with pt 10 which is not supported by newer osx versions as I think you know and i dont want to Change a thing since i just have licenses, nothing else. No email Account login Data, nothing. And at home i'm using an up to date win 10 System with pt 12.
    I'm Sorry, I know this is a Lot of questions but I really dont wanna end up spending hundreds of Dollars just to fuck up my running System.
    Thanks in advance :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Agent007

Agent007 Banned

@ThugLife I gave answer to your other question and now will proceed to answer this one.
    IF, and that is a big IF, you have the licenses for those plugins and they have not been registered you can in fact register and add them to your iLok account. However, if those plugins are registered to someone else's iLok account a transfer must be done. Each developer has its own set of rules when it comes to transferring licenses. Some will gladly do it. Others will require a fee. Regardless of who the developer is you will need the registered owner to do it or at the very least have access to his accounts. So there lies your problem.

I do have two questions. Are you 100% certain that the plugins are legit? If they are legit and running they have to show up in the iLok License Manager installed in your system. If that was the case things would be much easier. The iLok License Manager gives you the option to take ownership and transfer licenses.

Second question, is ZDT and TLC enabled? With them enabled iLok can replace your licenses for you, whether the iLok is lost stolen or broken.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  4. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Thank you so much, you seem to have knowledge of everything, grand Master :)

As you May notice i'm not really familiar with ilok especially on a Mac. hm Hard to say a 100 percent sure but as you know i have a Lot of knowledge in those Things on win too and know what the Folders usually look like. But First they are running on a definetely legit pro tools, I have the Box, I have the licenser which tells me it US properly registered, serial, everything and the plugins work with it. There are no cracked uad plugins so those have to be legit too. He was the one trying to convince me that legit plugins work better which I doubt haha. There are license Files and handbooks in the plugin folders, no nfos or such. To me they Seem very legit but maybe I have to take a closer look. The mcdsp plugins are just a few which makes me think so too, because why not install the full bundle. The only one i think too is cracked is the PA bundle but maybe I have to take a closer look on that.
    Anyways, In the ilok license Manager i can See the licenses for pt10 and pt11 those are full. There are two more licenses but These are expired Demos. Think he just tried them. Seems to be nothing else on iLok. Only 2% storage used.
    But the interesting thing is: i thought its Not possible to buy an ilok plugin without having the license tied to a specific Account. I just saw it in the ilok Manager where it Said something like that. So should I just create an Account, log in and try to Put the license on there and if it doesn't work, I have to again hope he will find Information finally After 2 years?

Addition: i really dont know About those modes. Maybe I can just See this if im logged into Account? But if I should See this without being logged in, I have to look, I cant answer to this right now, Gotta Hit the studio First

5. Agent007

Agent007 Banned

If you are asking whether is it possible to have a plugin without having the license tied to an iLok account, the answer is "yes". Some developers make it a requirement others do not. Think of iLok as a vault for your licenses.

6. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Exactly, call it limited believes, I just thought this is impossible. But then maybe this solves the Whole Problem since the pro tools licenses are the only ones on the ilok.
    So I can just leave the pro tools licenses Untied to Any Account and make my own Account and pro tools licenses should be independent from those tied to my New Account. I think the easiest way will be, I Register myself to ilok, if it works its good, if Not, the only risk i think I would have is having an Account i dont have a use for since I would need the old Account which isnt registered to me Anyways.
    Think i will try this out and let you know what Happened.

By the way, if this is it, which of your comments would you like to be Rated as Best answer? :goodpost::thanks::beg:

7. Agent007

Agent007 Banned

It should work. You just need yo have the latest manager.
    As to Best Answer, you decide that based on which one helped you the most.

8. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Thank you, finally thats great News.
    and yes for sure, as long as this works, every Single one of your answers Led to the Solution, so they were all helpful :)
    But I will choose carefully :wink::winker:
    Thanks again :)