What the difference between Positive Grid BIAS FX, BIAS Amp and BIAS Pedal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ia, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Positive Grid did release their first "all in one software" for iOS long before they coded Bias FX for "normal" computers
    It was called Jam Up i think i installed it 2007 or 2008 first time i used it
    Then they released Bias Amp for iOS later on (I think it was called just Bias back then not Bias Amp)
    And then they released the Bias Pedal for iOS all that was before they decided to try to code for Win and Osx
    But the first Positive Grid software to hit the "native" market was Bias Amp then followed by Bias FX and finally Bias Pedal
    Now they gonna release Bias Modulation and Delay pedals (physical ones) so expect a software version of those soon
    They also released a Drum machine for iOS called X-drummer so expect a native version for that aswell in a near future.

2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Can not finish a song that i am at 98% no matter what i do. One week and was able to add a few downers and risers and then i watch shit on YT, "Forensics claim Bieber is a woman", "Politicians who are reptilians"....lol....
    Its definitely showing in my attitude, frustrated as fuck.:drunks:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  4. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

I've fixed that error in my answer now, couldn't quite remember which plugin came first lol! I actually used to have Jam Up Pro and thought it was awesome so not sure why I got that bit wrong... :wink:

I watched the trailer thingy earlier for X-Drummer, it's a pretty clever concept where it uses AI to work out the most appropriate beat for whatever musical information you input it with. It also comes with loads of drum kits and customisation options for different drum heads, damping and changing the pitch, attack and resonance of each drum. It sounds pretty similar to what EZ Drummer 2 has actually, you can tap in a beat and it'll give you options based on that beat for every section of a whole song (into, verse, bridge, middle 8, chorus, outro etc) which you can then drag and drop, arrange in the little timeline and swap out different kit parts of a beat say if you wanted a ride instead of an open hihat. I can imagine these kind of things being really useful for beginners or those that don't have too much experience at programming realistic drums.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

Lol thanks man, I was a little confused at first. :)

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

[Sorry, OT here] Interesting that you mention AI used in PGrid plugins, because I was taking a look to AI technologies to model nonlinear systems (effects like an amp/cab sim) and BIAS Amp came to my mind.
    BIAS Amp combines "easy" EQ matching (linear) with tweaking a lot of parameters of the selected origin amp that gives the non linearities. In order to tweak many parameters some kind of AI must be employed.

7. timer

timer Producer

Just a personal remark:
    I've stopped using anything Positive Grid because of their product policy.

First I bought JamUp Pro on iPad and a lot of in-app purchases.
    After a few months they decided to abandon this app (more or less) to introduce BIAS.
    Though I felt that BIAS should have been an update for my app I bought it anyway.
    It emerged to be completely unusable for latency issues with my old iPad2.
    Probably my fault, but that hardware was supported officially by BIAS.

To me, their business model seems to be throwing new apps on the market to make their customers to buy something "new" at full price instead of providing an update for their existing apps.
    JamUp Pro used to have FX, amp and pedal in one package.
    Then there was BIAS.
    Then Pedal.
    Then FX.

I believe I still have a license for some cut-down version of BIAS. But it needs online activation on a regular base and I get spammed every other day to buy some upgrade.
    Being a less than decent guitar player I need an amp sim about once a month. I'm not inclined spending time to follow their business tactics and product policy on that level. Got a 5 watts tube amp and a mic, no need for annoying software. Only one kind of sound, but a good one. Positive Grid may employ some decent coders, but their business S/N ratio makes me pass on it.

Don't get me wrong: if you are a full time guitar player in search of "your sound", their offerings may perfectly fit.
    Just to much hassle for me.