what synths were used for that classic 90's R&B sound?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Misterguywick, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

3. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

No video, no audio??? :dunno:

4. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

sorry :)

the producer DeVante Swing is the man behind the sound i'm interested in

:)

5. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

does anyone recognize the snare/rim/clap/(not so sure) he uses

6. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

this sound

7. starkid84

starkid84 Kapellmeister

As far a Devante/Jodeci stuff, one of the best yet underrated groups/bands of all time. Devante swing as a writer and producer is GOAT status. I could write a list about the stuff they used and their production techniques all day. But for now I'll keep it as short and to the point as possible:

Forever my lady era stuff: D50, D70, TR 808, Moog stuff, Juno's, yamaha DX7, same stuff that Teddy Riley was using, etc...

(Here is an article about mr Dalvin talking about the Forever my lady album process)
    http://soulculture.com/features/int...album-forever-my-lady-return-to-the-classics/

Diary of a Mad Band: Akai MPC 60, LOTS of Roland JD-800/990, Roland JV stuff, live instruments drums, guitar, piano layered or sampled.

(Here is an article about Prince Charles Alexander working on Diary of a Mad Band)
    http://soulculture.com/features/int...nce-charles-alexander-return-to-the-classics/

The Show the After Party the Hotel: Any and everything that you might think of... Emu racks, Ensoniq ASR10, (mophatt, etc) Akai MPC's, Emu-Morpheus, live guitar, bass, drums, voccoders

(Here is an article where Jimmy Douglass talks about the proccess of creating The show after party hotel... and all of Devantes keyboards
    https://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/fea...r-party-the-hotel-on-albums-20th-anniversary/

Devante's/Jodeci/Da basement drums sounds, are nothing special per-se, Devante was just skillful and creative layering of the sample packs that were available back then, and also don't forget the occasional live drum groove from Mr Dalvin.

As far as the H-Town stuff, pretty much the same... Emu stuff, akai, Ensoniq, roland, ect... (except a lot of their production is more generic) Devente's production was far more nuanced and esoteric.

I have quite a few Devante/Jodeci custom banks and patches, if your interested let me know as you definitely wont find love for that kind of stuff on here.

If you want me to post more about in detail about Devante's production techniques/sounds let me know.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  8. EddieXx

EddieXx Rock Star

also, if you don't have those, to me it sounds like the timeless classic bread n butter sounds that can be founded in "any" workstation or sample-workhorse.

the kind of sounds people today tend to find "boring" and skip, but sounds that equed and effected right make a smooth palette..

9. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

Thanks a lot @starkid84

I would love for you to post more about DeVante Swing. I'm sure others would to but they probably didn't expect anyone (here) to care or have knowledge on dude. Thanks Again :wink:

10. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

I agree i do hear some of these sounds here and there tbh like in the Roland D50. I think it's easy to skip these sounds when you don't have the "classic bread and butter" musical approach

I can fish out a very nice rhodes sound.. but what I do wont sound like DeVante Swinng lol at all.. i think these sounds are kinda intimidating for people like me who aren't exactly well versed in music. (beatmakers)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  11. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: