What plugins modern trance uses?

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by saskou, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

;)
    [​IMG]

2. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

Modern Trance --> Trance (1995-2000) --> Eurobeat --> Techno --> New Beat (87-89)

3. BlazV

BlazV Noisemaker

Yoel Lewis actually show quite a bit of their workflow on FB videos, so check those. I'm seeing Virus, nordlead and Moog phatty, so thats
    that for the synth and bass sounds. I'm also spying UAD...

As for drum sounds, vengeance is pretty much stuff of yesteryear in today ASOT scene, which is all about Freeshly Squeezed Samples.
    Essentials. Shop next door, but be ready for some gigant file sizes(10gb+). That would be everything you'll really ever need.

As for instumental VSTis... you can't go wrong with Sylenth, Spire, Serum and Massive, which all have substantial amount of preset banks available at Freeshly Squeezed by respectable players of the scene.

You'll also need Nexus and/or Omnisphere, for more "bread&butter" sounds, pianos pads and such.

4. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

actually VanBuuren can't even play, all his tracks are "ghost produced" by Benno De Goeij.

90s trance = a more melodic approach to what was previously called generic "techno" in early 90s
    modern trance = less melodicm more drummy and punchy and over-effected approach to post-2000 trance.

nu disco = a glorified remix of the early Italo-disco and german/dutch "space disco" tracks from the mid 80s.

EDM = a cauldron meaning nothing in particular, just another acronym pulled out of the ass of some marketer, previously known in europe as "dance music".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

agree, as an Omnisphere freak i say Omni is very good for pretty much everything but it's focused on softer pleasing sounds overall, i wouldn't recommend it too much for harsh trance sounds in general, Serum, Spire, Massive are certainly a better option.

6. 9000k

9000k Producer

woah, it's because you are only looking at Armada's main label. Is there a slight chance u heard about ASOT, Armind and other Armada's trance sublabels? I guess not, otherwise you wouldn't talk so recklessly.

Benno De Goeij is only assisting Armin. He is 1/2 of Gaia project but he isn't ghost producing for Van Buuren for sure.

Talking about plugins. D16's Punchbox looks like a great deal for synthesizing kicks if you don't want to use samples.
    909 SUCKS for modern trance, it was good for oldschool techno/trance but if someone is telling you 909 is all you need he is probably stuck in late 90's. Don't get me wrong, 909 is great, but today you need more than that.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  7. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

oh really ? please get your facts straight regarding Van Buuren, he started as a radio DJ and never played a single note on a piano, all his tracks are credited to Benno and it's well known that Benno has been his ghost producer since day one.

which is the norm among top DJs anyway, what about top producers like Maarten Vorwerk and all the others ?

909 : yes, at first glance the 909 is too harsh and too '90s but with a bit of EQ and a good FX-chain is incredibly flexible, personally i prefer the 808 Kick but to each his own.

PunchBok or Kick or other modern plugins are just emulating analog kicks with more bells and whistles but more or less you could achieve very similar results with 808 or 909 or any other synth-drums, it's just a matter of personal taste.

i might be stuck in the 90's (nothing wrong with that !) but dont forget all the modern dance music is rooted 100% in the 80s and 90s, techno/trance in particular hasn't evolved much in 20 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. 9000k

9000k Producer

Benno is credited as "co-producer", if that means he makes entire tracks for him then... just lmao.

It looks to me like your source of information are rumors and generally what haters are saying about him.
    I base my opinion on what Armin himself is saying in interviews. Here is one of many examples: https://djmag.com/top-100-djs/poll-2015-armin-van-buuren - last question: "What do you think of DJs who use ghost producers?". Please read his answer.
    Which source do you think is more reliable?

I guess you will still keep talking BS, that's why I won't reply to you anymore.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  9. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Get a synth that can produce clean high pitch sounds in the upper regions. Most of the older plugins and digital synths have alisiang artifacts.

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

coming from around 2000(i also checked out older classics from 1990 around, they all have these building up, the climax and the breakdown, which is now just a wall of sound with loats of noise), thats maybe only big room trance you hear today, there is no melodic trance anymore, its just alot of fat basses and loootsof saws. there is no really space for these amazing breakdown, for builds, for the real the climax.

show me one good trance label today?!

Anjuna is doing shit, enhanced, Always Alive is half decend from it, Solaris Rec tries to stay trancy ...

wake me up, when this changes again ...

11. virusg

virusg Rock Star

:bleh: ... JOOF & Bonzai ... :dj:

...if anyone is interested in a colab, even old style, anything elemental trance based, please please; HIT ME UP!

anyway :goodpost:

12. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

truly, it does not matter that much which plugin you use if you have the skill to cook your own music

For example:

take a medium sized sawtooth, and mix it with some hot diced warm pulses, maybe 7 steps or 12 should be enough

while still warm add just a little bit of sub sine, slap a filter with an envelope on it

add some attack to bring the heat, careful, not too fast

that filter needs some enveloping too, but faster this time

make sure to stir the harmony at all times while you are doing this

release to taste

if you have the patience, add some delay with just the right amount of feedback

that will bring the verb flavors out, i like to eq a little bit on top, but its more of a personal preference

Of course you can buy ready made meals if you like, there are many great flavors as you can see in this thread

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

@virusg bonzai still alive, JOOF was Psy mainly and tech.

14. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

You're right, Mixdowner is absolutely wrong. :yes:
    :rofl: No it's not. But I'll leave you in your own world. :)

About trance in general. The popular side has evolved more to the house genre yes but there's still enough to explore. Quest4Trance for example is a 'real' trance concept here in NL. With typical rolling basslines, hard hitting kicks, layered percussion toploops, long breaks+build-ups and of course the floating/emotional synth lines. Mostly uptempo/uplifting. Just like Armada's Who's afraid of 138. :winker:

15. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

hey guys.
    Listen to the first song from the Thread starter. And then RMB-Redemption.
    Even when RMB is so much older. It sounds so much better to me.
    I can´t describe. I get headeaches from todays electronic sound.
    Sounds so cold, sterile and harsh.

I had a virus C many years ago. Shame on me, that i sold it.

I think nice and warm sounds come from Hardware Synths.

16. virusg

virusg Rock Star

just whatch how a real dj builds the drop ...

17. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Trance Energy 2003, wasn't that the year of the 'famous' dj Jean - master of the wheels of steeeeeeeel - PPK - Resurection scratch?! :rofl:
    Could also be 2002 btw.

18. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

of course, everything is over-compressed and over-filtered.

19. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

ah yes, sure, all rumours and conspiracies, hahaha, just like for Tiesto and David Guetta ghost producers ?
    ask yourself why there's not a single track credited only to VanBuuren ?

20. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

[​IMG]
    You were saying? :rofl: Try again ..
    One of Tiesto's producers btw - yes there were more - in his ISFS trance period was Dennis J. Waakop Reijers-Fraaij. Both received an award not so long ago. I also enjoyed his early collaborations as well, like T-Scanner - Trip To Heaven. A rave track which he made with Storm. But you already knew that of course. :disco: