What plugin(s) do you regret puschasing and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by aymat, Jun 22, 2016.

1. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Drop a mail and request activation reset. Did work at FXPansion as well.

2. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

I imagine the unhappy faces of all those young rappers that bought this plug-in, and after 5 minutes, they start realizing they just squandered 100 dollars on a dumb useless piece of shit.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Well, it goes like this. There aren't many things in UAD world that haven't been replicated by other manufacturers. The world is full of 1176s, LA2As, Fairchilds, Pultecs, 1073s, tape and console emulations, and SSLs. Some of the things I've been interested in, which are still kind of unmatched by other manufacturers, are Manley's Massive Passive, Empirical Labs Fatso, and maybe Shadow Hills compressor. On this June sale, I aimed at the Massive Passive (the cheapest of the three), but I demoed the Fatso, and it is one of those slap-it-in-and-get-that-sound kind of plugin. So far, I've tried to put UAD fatso side by side with Disto, maybe make a blind shootout, but they are different things, and can't be A/B'ed fairly. All I can tell you is that Disto is in the neighbourhood of boutique plugin. Unfortunately, there's no demo, but jumping the gun at 40 bucks won't set you back even if you don't like it. I love it. Of course, however flexible it is, it's not for every source.

I see your point. I feel bad to admit I don't like my Slate VMR that much anymore. I know it does a great sonic job, and it makes sense, but somehow I keep turning to other plugins. What I loved about VMR was the white equalisers, but I don't think I'll be injecting more money to it. I've gotten to dislike the FG-X limiter too. What is a godsend when the source is right is the VBC bundle, especially the Vari-MU. When a Fairchild doesn't get much love on the mix bus, VBC Mu saves the day.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Three Rob Papen plugs: RP-Distort, RP-Delay & RP-AMOD!!! I got them cheap, but they´re not worth the money IMHO!

But I can recommend a fairly new started swedish company called Klevgränd! I´ve bought some of their plugs, they work great and I love the whole concept and design!

http://klevgrand.se/products/

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. toerag

toerag Newbie

Acustica Nebula. Bought countless 3rd party programs. Struggled against the CPU drain for years thinking the minuscule sound improvement was worth it. Once I learned to EQ and compress properly, and bought proper monitors, I realized nebula wasn't worth the hassle.

Still, I waited years for a 64bit audio unit. I think it came out in 2016! Had long since given up on using it by then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

Not strictly speaking a plugin so to speak.... but i'd have to say paying for license upgrade for Logic 4.8 to 5.1 and then two weeks later support was dropped for PC; which I'd just switched over to from Mac. I have to blame myself a little for taking so long to upgrade!! Can't really complain about it as I had yrs of use out of it before I switched over to Studio One.

Worst plugin purchase has to be Filtroid for the TC Powercore. It is an awesome plugin, however I only had a MK1 Powercore card at the time and by driving the filter with lfo tool you could not even run a single instance without running out of DSP!

Oh and Guitar Rig 2... the plugin i loved to hate, presence and dynamics were a little half arsed until v5 and Absynth, I love it but its never in the final mix when i finish a track... I can never get it to sit well in the mix no matter what i do to it.

Anyway great comments above =)

7. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i regret paying for the reason 5 to 6 upgrade, the reason 6 to 7 upgrade and the reason 7 to 8 upgrade.
    i feel a fool for buying them - i was stubborn and didn't accept i had already moved on from reason. thinking each upgrade would somehow inject love and use back into it. but actually they just made reason more complex, more like other daws (exposing its shortcomings ever the more), and less like the classic old reason we (almost) all loved once upon a time.
    honestly version 5 was probably my fondest point in reason's history. and for what i occasionally use it for (rewire), would have done the job for me fine -and saved me some €407!!! :/

8. JustinIrradiation

JustinIrradiation Member

Havent purchased any software myself, but 95% of everything i tried was a waste of time and space... (Ex. Waves!!) Ended up finding free equivalents of mostly everything...

Id say mix until you find you really cant acheive a desired sound with what you have, rather than buying stuff cause it might look nice.

I still occasionally use Kontakt, Saturn, some tape emu's and the occasional fancy synth, and Trigger, but not too often.

9. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Anthology X was released on the scene 1 week after I bought it for $699. Just my luck.

10. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Does it worth it? I would spend these on gear, possibly good synth or smth else hardware, but not on another plugins.

11. michaelbrac

michaelbrac Guest

If someone want to sell his sylenth1 . but not at the full price .
    p.m

12. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

since i usually download pirated versions of software to try out extensively i have never regretted buying something, always felt good for supporting these hard working people

13. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

Yeah Recabinet 5 went back to be what it onces was before Recabinet 4 that is a Cabinet IR loader
    Recabinet was just that before they included ampsims in the plugin in v4..
    I didnt bought Thermionik 5 i think it is too expensive
    http://kazrog.com/products/recabinet/

14. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

didn't really buy it.. as I researched it for a year...and then when I bought the hardware and expansion pack to buy the plug
    I finally found "this plug is no longer available" on UAD's site... and you've got high profile goofballs still touting it in their
    UAD promo videos 6 months after it was discontinued, here's a big flatula in the face for UAD bros !

That would be all of the Roland plugs. I wanted the space echo..
    not really interested in sending $1500 to Japan for the real thing yo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016