What orchestral articulation is used?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by WIMA, May 1, 2022.

1. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

Noted...
    Thanks for adding more information about portamento :wink:

Got it...
    Thank you... :wink:

=======

Right... Got it... :winker:

But what I mean about "other than portamento" is, are there any other techniques besides portamento that I can learn?

For example....
    Recently I found something new on youtube about short technique, namely Sautille

And I just realized that there is another short technique besides Pizzicato, Spiccato, and Staccato, namely Sautille... Which is really cool... And not commonly found in Kontakt, right?
    Or maybe there is but I haven't seen it all... :dunno:

My point is, I'm curious about other unusual techniques/terms like Portamento or Sautille and other novelties...
    Sorry if it bothered you... :bow:

=======

Thanks for showing the videos... I'm interested in the sound... Maybe I'll try to dig deeper into MSS
    Awesome Library :wink:

2. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

For your needs you have to look at these techniques
    - legato: means playing notes in a connected matter. The notes are not played separately. "Legato" in Italian means "tied". It is the shortest passage from one note to another. The notes are played as fast/slow as marked in the score (tempo, note duration).
    - portamento*: it's like extended legato. It's born out of the necessity to connect two distant notes, but now it's also used to pass from one note to another slowly (like @No Avenger noted), even if they are not far apart.
    - glissando: again, it connects two notes, but the focus is more on the sound of glissando itself. It's more like an effect.

I would agree 90% with this explanation of portamento* vs glissando...;)

Mind that this is for strings. For other instruments the same term can indicate something else.

*Correction: it's ofc portamento.
    Portato is a totally different articulation. Sorry, lol ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member