What on earth is this bass modulation? (Deadmau5 - Are You Not Afraid)

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Cav Emp, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

It sounds like the same bass throughout, but in this example there's a wobble, then more percussive notes, then... ripping fabric? I have no idea how that sound is made so of course I need to know :)

I've come up with something that sounds reasonably similar to that modulating a highpass and a phaser, but it wasn't that.

EDIT: just a bad case of listening on crappy speakers. Pretty sure I've got it worked out. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  3. swash

swash Newbie

give some pitch attack to your bass synth. ( Modulate pitch with amp envelopes )

4. swash

swash Newbie

İt s pretty much massive synth.. youtube it how to create wobbles with massive. you will get whatever sound you want.

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Sorry, I think maybe you watched the video but didn't read the post :)
    Not the wobble or the fast attack notes. The phrase after those with the lowpass filter opened up. You're on point about it having a pitch envelope though, I think. Actually that may just be the highpass being modulated.

HOWEVER, when I first listened to this it was on smaller speakers. I plugged in my monitoring headphones and it's not as obscure as I originally thought :dunno: sounds like a high pass and maybe a pitch envelope with the wobbling lowpass still going.

Now I look/feel kind of dumb.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Try a low (frequency/note) synth, distorted and with amplitude modulation (envelope, LFO), i.e tremolo.
    There also seems to be a bit of a pitch (descending) envelope. If you want to get fancy you can also high pass and low pass to clean it up a bit.
    I'll try to post an example soon.

Edit: Ok, here's a rather quick test of above described way of doing it (there are more ways, but this is how I do it). Zippyshare compression sucks ass though, but you get the idea. Tremolo speed is also being modulated:
    To the mp3 directly->http://www19.zippyshare.com/d/sCzIxp0h/478016/Buzz-0015.mp3

Edit2: Eh, it's more like an angry bear than something being ripped.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Ohh you're right, it does sound like the LFO-ish part of it may be modulating amplitude rather than cutoff. Good ear!

Always a treat when I get a response from you on a sound design question :mates:

8. Good ear is the understatement of the century, sort of like saying Pele was a good footballer or that Jimi Hendrix could play the guitar.
    [​IMG][​IMG] upload_2015-9-22_19-50-4.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

@Baxter I didn't see until now that you edited you post with an example. Freaking bravo! That is spot on. I fell asleep at a stupid time and now I have all night to try recreate stuff. Thanks for being such an educator/inspiration.

10. statik

statik Audiosexual

you should give cyclops by sugar bytes a try, awesome modulation options in that one

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

No worries!

Simplified: Just distort any low playing synth (just a single note) and add a tremolo after it, and then modulate the speed of the tremolo.

EQ/filter to taste (pre and/or post distortion). You can also use multiband distortion if you want more sculpturing options.

Mess around with different presets on the synth. Sometimes a random preset can give a nice result, then listen to the dry version (no distortion, no tremolo) and figure out why that preset sounds good.

12. Frolic

Frolic Newbie

fuckin easy deadmau5 pofffffffff
    fl studio but i can create harder than this
    its vst effect automatic up and down and yeah wobble and little spire bass
    like tornado sugerbyte