What monitors are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by signalflow, Oct 5, 2016.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Alesis M1 Active Mk2, but havnt used them for a year now, thinking about selling.

2. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

Dynaudio BM6 A

3. SPACENGINEER

SPACENGINEER Member

Same here man.The price - quality ratio is simply amazing.Good, clean sound.
    KRK Rockits I never liked the sound of those.Terrible I'd say.

4. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

A pair of Yahama HS8 feeded thru M-Audio Mtrack Quad... still on learning curve.

5. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Been on vacation man? Or do you have another pair of monitors?Or you prefer headphones?

6. ArticStorm

im using headphones here, but in that 1 year i havnt produced that much, when im traveling im using these cheap Sony earbuds with no low end.

monitors are on my desktop, which i hardly use.

7. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Mackie HR624mk2, JBL308, & Avantones.....and AKG k702, ATH m50x phones.

8. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    I know.I used to have a pair of senneheiser earbuds for traveling but when i broke them i moved to akg.i think they have colored 5-6kHz and i find them harsh in the upper frequencies.But i'm only enjoying music while out.I don't produce,so it's ok.I would prefer the senneheisers though.

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

My senheiser budget ear buds cost less than 20 dollars, and sound way better than my 100 dollar bose ones. I regifted the Bose to my brother, he loves them just cause of the look. You can spot the branding with the black and white twisted wire. Some people huh?

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Also got a pair of alesis mk2, my first monitors. I still use them as an atlernate source when referencing my mixes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Hey Artic! I know you work with headphones most of the time (if you are not studying! ;)).... I did that for a long time in either school or different "urban" areas or hours or environments... I know you know how it all works and headphones are great for writing etc, but can be really deceiving in terms of mixing etc... (not telling you my friend!).... is it where you live now you can't operate them due to noise problems with neighbors/family/hours etc? all good...

to answer the OP's question: I use KRK VXT8's and Expose 8's... they are no Barefoots, but I was turned on to them by some people I trust, and for their price, the clarity and decisions I have made on them have not let me down yet (...listening to mixes on other systems/clubs/radio/tv etc. and them being "true"..)... I am not saying they are the best monitors in the world at all, but for the price, i'm pretty happy...

I used amongst many others, the mackies in the past, but found them to be a little deceiving ... they can sound great in a room, but get some weird stuff at least on translation on other systems.. but could have just been me... and anyone who knows their room and knows what they are doing, I am certainly not going to argue with or tell them they are wrong... (just to be clear, I'm not flaming mackie speakers...)

12. I have never listened to a Bose headphone that was worth the price paid (and just recently my daughter bought a $179 model for $60 from a family friend...they are barely worth that, all phasey and hurtful to my ears after just a short test session), and I find it interesting (not in a good way) that they never publish their specs, instead they push the "experience", my experiences have not been good ones. I use Sennheiser IE80 ear buds while out and about and find them enjoyable when listening to all sorts of music. It is cool to me that the music doesn't seem to be coming into my ears from the drivers but rather from wider and slightly above and in front of the plane of my forehead. It is a strange but pleasant phenomenon, like floating on a pillowy cloud after smoking opium. Yum.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Populus Romanus

Populus Romanus Newbie

Adam S3X-H. These are the best ones we ever had. A real audio microscope!

14. ArticStorm

haha they are not to great on the low end, but when you get used to them all is good.

15. ArticStorm

nah its to expensive to run my desktop, so im bound to my notebook and well i tried to connected it to the monitors, but the volume level is too low and im not interested in buying another interface.
    yesterday i noticed my desktop died, so it isnt starting up again :(

the only time for now i will spend in front of a piano playing, i just want to get a bit better with scales, improvisation and all this and it feels more organic.

ups double post! so now i need to warn myself :deep_facepalm:

16. Gnib

Gnib Producer

Dynaudio DBM50 + Focusrite Forte. For comparison I have a pair of Acoustic Energy Aego`s (PC speakers) and Dynaudio Confidence C2 in my living room. I also use my headphones for critical decisions (Shure SRH 1840).

17. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Adam S3X/H...very happy with those beasts.I had the Dynaudio BM6A,happy too...sold very quickly!

[​IMG] I

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Teletoby

Teletoby Member

Focal Twin 6Be + Focal SM6 Sub for mixing... Grimm LS1s for mastering

19. VinylScra

VinylScra Member

i recently switched from jbl lsr 305 + krk10s to amphion two18 + krk10s. i really liked the lsr 305 and really was surprised how well my mixes translated to the amphions. the mixes really all sounded right and i did not feel any need of adjusting them. however i also listened to some commercial tracks on the two18s i THOUGHT i know and there it was - i heard new stuff i have never noticed before in a few tracks, even very quiet vocal samples - i just did not hear them on the lsr305. but still, overall i would say the lsr 305 sounded very right and were good mixng tools. of course the two18s sound more precise - the tightness/phase/phantom center is like magic - i did not even know this was possible: when some guy is speaking, you really think there is an invisible guy standing between your speakers talking to you.

20. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker