What monitors are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by signalflow, Oct 5, 2016.

1. db100

db100 Kapellmeister

i still could kick my ass for not buying a pair of PSI A 215m a couple years ago. because now theyre about twice the price they used to be :/

2. db100

db100 Kapellmeister

i always thought that about yamaha hs8 and such speakers. but i think they are testing some random speakers from each batch to match their sound signature. but still there can be some variations i guess. that to me is the only explanation why some praise them so high and others call them straight shit. it cant be all due to personal taste.
    but china does not equal bad build quality in general. i had my neumanns - which are made in ireland - send in for repair twice already in about 3 years i have them.

3. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

It might not be a con in sense but I see that as cheap labor and corporate greed.

4. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

It's always possible to get a lemon, I suppose.
    I've had translation problems with my mixes, but it was more room placement than anything else (I was in the corner) and working toward room treatment. Listening on several different types of speakers (Two different studio monitor systems, cheap old PC speakers, Bluetooth speaker, phone, etc) in the mix room, as well as checking the sound in different cars has been my fix to getting a good overall mix without the overly bright 7 - 8K area that sounds good anywhere I've played it. Bottom end used to be too much or too little until I got out of the corner. Now I'm struggling a bit with the 7-8K range, mostly with mic'd overdriven guitars. I think that's gonna be reflection treatment that fixes that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. mickey

mickey Ultrasonic

You can never go wrong with the yamaha hs 8...... Best for its price range.

6. bellegear

bellegear Noisemaker

Amphion Two18. Very fine...
    Of course you have to buy an additional power amplifier, but this offers nice choices you don't have with an active monitor, e.g. a decision for Class A or however.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    Munrosonic Egg 150. Love them! I went to the store to initially audition Neumann (Klein & Hummel) KH120, but fell for these and bought them after a few "audition-trips".

At school (music production and songwriting, university) I daily use Barefoot micromain27 and Genelec 1234A SAM. :wink:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  8. When I grow up I want to be a Barefoot Micromain27.

9. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Noisemaker

Focal Alpha 80, need good acoustic room, but they are very good for the price ! (Sorry for my bad english, I'm french...)

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

A pair of Dynaudio BM12As, and a pair of interesting sounding full range speakers.

11. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Focal CMS 65's. Upgrade from Alesis M1 620 actives. Although I did like the Alesis and have considered getting another pair.

12. Ultram

Ultram Kapellmeister

Focal Alpha 65 here upgraded from KRK RP6 G3, so much more revealing in the low end. Have the Rokits at home now.

13. badboy4life

badboy4life Ultrasonic

Focal Trio6 Be, one of the best buys ever!

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I got a pair of thump 15A'a. I found a little trick to make em have more thump... Check this

He doesnt say this but, If you do this make sure the weather stripping is in front of the holes and doesnt obstruct the hole AT ALL because the screws will grab it pull it all off out from under the speaker basket. I had to redo the first one i did.

They definitely sound better.

15. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

These are the exact same ones I'm using in the room of the studio I work at. They sound lpretty good

16. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

You must have had one hell of a salesman. Every monitor with that price tag should outperform the kh120...
    My personal impression on the Mackie HR824 MK1: the bass is out of control on this one.

17. Event 20/20 with 250 sub-bass

18. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Can't remember anything like that.Of course i was in a well acoustic treated studio. :dunno:

19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Actually, the salesperson didn't do any pitching on me afaik. I just tried a bunch and the Eggs really stood out (both sonically and visually). To me, the KH120 sounded "papery" and 2-dimensional when compared. I got a great deal on them, so the price-difference wasn't that drastic.

I have never tried/used the HR824 MK1, even though they are getting pretty old by now. I've heard that they can be a bit wobbly in the low end, but have never had the opportunity to try them.

20. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Yamaha HS50M + HS10W Sub, and a pair of 5" old Fostex, the Yams are my hearties, first monitors and gonna keep them a while if its not my whole life.