What monitors are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by signalflow, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Lucky guy. (i mean the one who bought them).
    I understand that their bass is good.I know that from the Mk1 and the MR series.But i'd like to have that sub in order to determine what goes in the LFE channel.Just for that.

2. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Adam A5X

3. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Know your speakers, know your room.... know your problems.

4. santillana

santillana Kapellmeister

Eve Audio Sc407 and Yamaha NS10M - had the focal Twins 6be for years but after refurbishing the studio the Eve's sounded better with the room.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. TheEnForcer

TheEnForcer Member

At the moment i´m using different monitors to compare diffent things like A/B or A, B, C, D.
    I started with the ROKIT KRK RP10-3 (G3) pair. After a year i went to the KRK VXT8.
    I saved money over years and bought finally the KRK EXPOSE E8B and the Dynaudio AIR 20 system.

Well, i guess that i was also naive and stupid, because i bought to much and followed the stupid money making marketing.
    Hardware companies can also make money with naive people who think there are extreme differences between difference products
    and with the "best" (mostly the expensive one) they gettin also the best. This is a lie. Of course you can´t compare fuzzy
    pc speakers (5,00 €) with an 180.000 € High-End system, but the most things are only marketing strategy.
    It is the same with digital cable (toslink, coax, hdmi). Naive people would buy 100 € digital cable, because the companies told
    that expensive digital cables are better for the signal flow^^ The same with pc, mac, vst, hardware, iphone, samsung and so forth.

The problem with music making is, why should people buy expensive hardware if the most people listen to fuzzy mp3 and
    haven´t a good player? It doesn´t matter if the result is mp3 and a cheap audio player.

So i recognized late the trueness. But i love music and the audio system is loud and for me good enough.

Somebody remember the songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s?
    Todays low and mid costs speaker are really better than old expensive speakers from the past.

So i think "making music" and "skills" -also fun- are better than marketing strategy and buying totally overrated hard-/software.

In my view i made also some mistakes in the past. Now i know it better.

But guys, lets make some music and have fun!

6. dazz

dazz Ultrasonic

HR824 mk1 - went out to buy a set of genelecs came home with the HR824 mk1 and never looked back there amazing boxes when i listen to my mix in them .. then compare it in my car / home / iPhone / home stereo my mix always sounds perfect.. however it did take a little tweaking to get them just right ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

+1 for a couple of decades on HR824's

Seems to be a bit of a trend.

8. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    HR824's are great and solid.
    @dazz I heard so many reviews about genelecs but somehow i couldn't stand the plastic.When i need a speaker i need it solid.Wood.Even though i've seen the genelecs in action and everything were ok, i still got the picture of old hi-fi speakers that rumble when you press the bass boost button, hearing that distortion and plastic squeak.I know genelecs have nothing to do with this but i can't remove this picture from my brain.So when it comes to speakers, it has to be wooden for me.

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

pair of Presonus Eris E8 here at home, they are really better than I expected, tier above same-priced KRK Rokits series, front bassreflex does help in smaller rooms where monitors are placed relatively close to walls/corners,
    new Presonus R80 are said to be beasts (different tweeters compared E8's, practically double price per speaker though) and I heard couple people recommending those over multiple-times-more-expensive Genelecs!
    at work I prefer to use swiss PSI A25-M, especially 5.1 mixing - but those are fairly expensive at 3999$ per piece

10. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

I also have the presonus Eris-E8 and I think they're good.

11. almightyshux

almightyshux Ultrasonic

you can in upstate NY, Catskills area

12. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I have a pair of Genelec 8020B. If I had to sell it all and change my life, I'd still keep them.

• List
  13. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

KRK Rokit 8's and the KRK 10s. I like the sub as it's foot switchable. Also use a pair of M-Audio 5" (don't know the model) and a pair of 20 year old PC speakers for a/b testing. Interested to hear a set of those Mackie HR824's now that I see so many positive comments on them. I own a set of the Thumps for PA and they are awesome.

14. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Same here. I referenced many monitors at the time and the HR824 mk1 blew everything away

• List
  15. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

[​IMG] Neumann KH 120 A + Subpac M2[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Focal Solo 6 be, can't recommend these enough. I am so much happier after Adam A7 that i previously had.

17. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

HR824s are great. The only con I have is that they were made in China.

18. db100

db100 Kapellmeister

i strongly disagree on that. but i will say that speakers are very much a personal choice as everybodys hearing is different. and there is also the speaker / room combination, which means that the spaker must fit the room. a more expensive speaker must not necessarily be the better one. i have seen people that switched from 10.000 dollar speakers like atc´s to yamaha hs8 for example and i cant stand them. might have to try them again because i only owned the hs80m before.
    for mastering it is a little different but for production and mixing you could do it on very cheap speakers. think yamaha ns10 those were pretty cheap consumer speakers and a lot of ppl swear on them. also matthew white for example mixes on some 80s consumer speakers.
    myself i use some neumann kh120a with a sonodyne slf-210v3 sub and some aps klasik as a second pair. i have some slight problems with the bass in my room even though its pretty good treated with rockwool. but i will move soon to another place and i hope i can get a pretty good bass response in that room.

• List
  19. db100

db100 Kapellmeister

why is that a con?

20. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

So build quality from batch to batch may vary. Just checked with Musician's Friend where they're no longer available. One reviewer said he'd rather mix on cheap crappy computer speakers because that's what everyone listens to anyways. He said he's a "pro" engineer with several "billboard" albums.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln

:rofl: