What Monitor(s)/Screen(s) Do You Use

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by puw, Jul 29, 2015.

1. puw

puw Noisemaker

I'm on a very stringent budget and so crawling through the 2nd hand sites, and I know sizewise, I should be looking at an IPS 16.10 27" which of course limits me. This is not only for DAW's but also for graphics etc.

I'm open to alternatives but the majority of monitor reviews cover gaming and movies, so I can't tell if any 16:9's are good enough.

I've just come across the HP Pavilion 27xw 27-in IPS LED Backlit Monitor, with a load of excellent Amazon reviews.

I'd like to ask if any of you have this and how is it, as well as what monitor setups you have and recommend please.

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I use 2x Dell 27' IPS screens... Absolutely perfect for me, for Music and Work (Graphics)

My two best friends.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Philips 234E Narrow Bazel (1920x1080) + Philips 200VW (1680x1050) .

5. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i have a dell u2515h. can get pretty cheap from eBay and has very useful res of 2560x1440. great for large DAW workspace without being massive and expensive.

• List
  6. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Phillips 58 4k/ultra hd + Samsung 26 + 15 crt.
    But really depends about ergonomics and the programs you use.
    Logic X have a GUI that makes too big in a full hd and I almost see nothing, so the need of 4k.
    Todays price are a joke, I remember that payed 1500 usd for 11 crt with highest resolution (600/400) and an apple 17 crt for 1700 usd later.
    An old Crt monitor is good for things like Digicheck, cannot like without!
    Also monitors/tvs are made to be slim, so components are hard to replace, always check for a guarantee and the reliability because they broke:yes:

• List
  7. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

Running (2) Hp23tm Touchscreen monitors, get them easily for $150 on ebay and it works amazingly for any DAW, also running a 42 Vizio as a third monitor, a little overkill honestly but also watch movies and shows on it. Use to have Dell IPS which was amazing for my video work but dropped that for the touchscreens for workflow purposes. that HP off amazon should be fine, I honestly prefer 16:9 to 16:10.

Edit: check out the 21:9 screens if you want the ultimate monitor, those things are insane.

• List
  8. puw

puw Noisemaker

Thanks guys for the responses, what a variety :like:

9. xsze

xsze Guest

Samsung 720n 17" :unsure:

10. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

puw - I'm in the same market as you.

My purposes are for a bit of everything - DAW, web surfing, gaming and office documents. Maybe some movie prevewing of downloads.
    So I prefer to have a more square format than 16:9 for vertical space as well as horizontal.
    But is a cinema format better for a DAW - looking at sequences, piano rolls etc ?

Also the idea of a touch-screen interests me - for DAW and VST GUI interaction.
    Hmmm...

11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

lg w2243t. reading this i think i need to upgrade soon :)

12. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

I use a Philips 273V and an Acer X203 so one is 23' the other 20'. It's ok as I use the 20' to see my Mix table while working on composition or sound design on the 27'. Then when the mix moment comes, I move the Mix table to the 27' screen.

I must warn you about working with two equal screens united in the middle in front of you. Not every one adapt to work with a black joint in the middle of his visual field. So if you're going to that, try it first.

I can't seriously speak about graphics works as I'm just an amateur in that matter.

• List
  13. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Anyone using a 4K or LG 34" 21:9 screen ?

14. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I use a Phillips 58 4k 3D + other 2 monitors... :guitarhero:
    Sometimes I have to use zoom glasses to see all, really!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  15. m5g

m5g Kapellmeister

Dual ASUS MB19TU @ 2560x1024 since 2005 - Works just great )

16. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

2 Samsung Touch Of Color T260HD 25.5-Inch LCD HDTV Monitors since 2009

17. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

a BENQ 24" bought in summer 2010. 1080p

18. Pete Jash

Pete Jash Newbie

I use Samsung S34E790C 34" Ultra-wide Premium Curved monitor 21:9 it is perfect for ableton and Logic Pro X. I advice this monitor.

19. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I'm using 2 cheap Viewsonic 22" 1080 monitors with a cheap dual monitor mounting arm thing. Works great for my purposes and I came in under $250 on them.

20. puw

puw Noisemaker

@ Dalmation:
    My current Philips 22" is 1cm taller than my 23" (talking actual screen, not frame inc), and I use it more than the 23", especially for web browser so I can see all the required toolbars & tabs and then the heavily populated taskbar that's often 3 - 4 rows of 'open' items. Same applies for any MS Office appz with the ribbon. So even though some piano rolls use width, the midi sheet is tall (and wide) & I'd rather see the height of the piano roll with midi instead of having to scroll up and down all the time. I guess it is down to the music genre and how you have gotten used to working.
    I understand that the 'soom' thing can be an issue for various apps and text for these monitors, based on your video card etc. Thanks for the input (but I bet it looks great).

@ olymoon:
    Good point :wink:

I do get that wider purely when working within a DAW is beneficial, it's all the instruments and effects undocked that you have to keep moving out the way or minimise/maximise each time that a big 16:10 would help with, plus comes in for browser, MS office, Adobe appz etc as already mentioned.

Thanks everyone for sharing :)

21. luaksone

luaksone Member

I have two 1920x1080 monitors and one 2560x1080 monitor. Only one is active when I'm playing (BenQ XL2430T, as it is 144hz) and when I'm working with DAW I use all of them (making 6400x1080 resolution combined). A lot of workspace on Studio One. I keep sexy visualizer on third monitor, it functions perfectly with Spotify! (For those who are interested, you can download the visualizer from DeviantArt, it's Monstercat Visualizer or something like that)

Screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: I just installed Windows 10 and removed everything so I'm kind of middle of installing everything back. But it really was worth it, really good upgrade from Win7 to Win10

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List