What MIDI keyboard for expressive playing?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by pixie, Nov 11, 2012.

1. pixie

pixie Newbie

Hello, I'm new in this field so some of my questions might sound silly since every day I learn something new. :) I am a piano player that has some basic knowledge about playing other instruments too. I want to do some composing (pop-rock, jazz, maybe some classical stuff) and I need a MIDI keyboard that would have at least 61 keys (semi-weighted should be OK) and that would allow me expressive playing. Playing the piano is not a problem, sustain pedal is enough but if I switch to VSTi like saxophone I guess I would need something more to make the playing style sound realistic. Since I've never worked with MIDI keyboards I don't know what to look for - do I need one with the expression pedal input? It is also important to mention that I am on a really tight budget. :) I would work at home, except for some occasional live piano playing (that's why I need 61 keys).

3. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Keystation88es?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CJaGuNaix7MCFRRbnAodR3cAHg
    i bought this one about 5 months ago i love it, check it out, you could most likely find it on ebay or craigslist cheaper

4. pixie

pixie Newbie

Thanks! Another question. If I took this or similar keyboard, would I also be able to play accompaniment in real-time using the keyboard & an average PC laptop with the VST library? I was considering stage piano keyboards like M-Audio Sono ProKeys because I could use the piano built-in feature but if it can be done with just a MIDI controller and a laptop it makes things much easier.

5. rBennich

rBennich Kapellmeister

I think the Novation Sl MK2 61 (or 49), is very expressive, and compared to the M-audios, feels like real craftsmanship. It is similar to the keyboard on the Roland JD-800, also with aftertouch. And the automap software is fantastic. And the pitchstick combines the best of both worlds (modwheel & pitchstick).

http://global.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/sl-mkii

6. google

google Newbie

• Novation SL = good Fatar keys - feel like an awesome synth
    • M-audio = shite craptacular Chinese shit - kill yourself if you accidentally buy one (feels like a shit piano) M-audio = shite across the range of everything they make. :)
    • Cakewalk/roland feel good on a budget (feels like a good synth)

m- audio semi weighted feel weird - plasic on maudio feels like cheap Chinese turds

try before buy :D

7. google

google Newbie

8. MARJU GRLYO

MARJU GRLYO Noisemaker

Same as Robbie, I use a M-Audio Keystation (Mine is 61) since years, it never let me down ! And I'm a "I-take-great-care-of-my-gear" person... So that's a strong one for shows !

But no controller on it...

For accompagnement you need an USB sound card and you're good to go. The audio Out of the sound card (So with your playing + accompaniment) have to be plug to a PA system (Or any monitor)

I owned a Novation SL MKII something (The controller without the keyboard) and this one really felt like shit ! lol Automap is awful to use (But might be useful for some) That's funny we have so different point of view :rofl:

Mine is "old" (Like 5yo) and the keys are the better I ever saw on a MIDI keyboard of that range of price ! Really comfortable ! The new models (Axiom etc...) don't feel like this, that's true !

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

My .02c worth ...

http://www.fatar.com/studiologic/pages/VMK_188.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fatar_vmk188_plus.htm

10. pixie

pixie Newbie

Thank you all! Unfortunately my budget isn't enough even for these things and I don't want to buy just anything so I'll wait.

11. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

For good expressive playing go for something with aftertouch, which the maudio does NOT have, so be aware, I have the key station 61es and knowing what I know now I would not have bought it. Also you can get a midi control pedal, which can do cool stuff, check this one out...

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/overview

12. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

I'm quite satisfied w/ my AKAI MPK49 w/ optional expression pedal and sustain -- keys have a nice weighted feel, transport controls, sliders, knobs and MPC-styled pads.

I also have the M-Audio Axiom 49 -- another great feeling keyboard -- MIDI assignment is a bit harder to manage w/ the Axiom, but an overall nice board (also features expression and sustain ports, sliders knobs and pads)

You can usually find both of these on eBay for a decent price -- not sure what you can swing w/ your budget but you should be able to find something within range online

If you live here in the US, you can get a Payment Plan on gear totaling over $250 USD at American Musical Supply

http://americanmusical.com/

Best of luck to you -- Happy shopping !

13. pixie

pixie Newbie

The problem is, I live in Eastern Europe so no ebay shopping. But we have Akai MPK 49 here, I got a few more recommendations for it so maybe I'll manage to stretch out and get one.

14. xsze

xsze Guest

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cakewalk_a_800pro.htm

15. google

google Newbie

+1 for the Roland cakewalk above. I mentioned it earlier.

Best value .. feels good.

Avoid m-audio at all costs.

16. pixie

pixie Newbie

This Roland A-800 is just a bigger version of A-500 Pro, I presume?

17. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Have had several keyboards, and I can recomment this one (I´ve god it myself):

EMU LONGboard 61

http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=19112

18. pixie

pixie Newbie

It's beautiful but way too expensive. I need something entry-level but still good enough so I can sell it later if I decide to buy something better. The limit is 300$.

What's wrong with M-Audio? People generally don't recommend it.

19. Nastynasty

Nastynasty Newbie

For cheapness look at ESI KeyControl. Not amazing or anything but has a sturdy aluminium body so feels and looks good (though quite heavy). Has an expression pedal input and pitchwheel too. Can also be used as midi control without usb power if needed (midi out + DC in). Mostly it's cheap but doesn't feel like it.

20. google

google Newbie

M audio feel like shit plastic. Try one

21. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Keys are nowhere near my 1st instrument, but weighted or semi-weighted keys and after touch are very valuable things to have. I have a yamaha synth with after touch and a piano with semi-weighted keys. Got them both at a pawn shop.