what midi keyboard do you use?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by franko22, Mar 6, 2023.

1. franko22

franko22 Member

@MozartEstLa did you manage to have fun despite all these problems? :crazy: let alone the a61 version in fl studio..

2. playtime

playtime Rock Star

I must say I'm more than satisfied. It's really a joy to work with... Integration with DAWs is straightforward and very well made.

As for the Nektarine Software: From version 2.5 they did complete overhaul with new features and optimizations. I wasn't using it much before that, but now I'm impressed. Very well thought out with pre-mapped stuff for most VSTi's out there.
    I use it with Nektar AURA (now ARUBA) pad controller and I can say that Groove Agent works better with Nektarine than on it's own.

Great products with great customer support :wink:

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Oh, someone who use it!! Thank you for the detailed information.
    Have you tried to use it with, a synthesizer like Phase Plant, Spire, or any synthesizer where you would directly map envelopes and filters to the keyboard?
    I'm very curious because, the only reason why I didn't bought it, is because every review concentrate on DAW integration, but not on vsti control. (Not to speak about reviews credibility).
    It's expensive, and where I live, I could only buy it by advance, nonreturnable... So I have to be sure that it will fit my needs.
    Edit: that's a bit personal, and I dont want to spoil this thread, so, I may send you a pm to continue this specific topic.
    Please, anyone else that uses Nektar P6 send me a PM. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Ed Jachimowicz

Ed Jachimowicz Producer

Using the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2. Although a lot of functions go untouched I mainly bought it for the amount of octaves. And the integration with Kontakt that I use a lot. Started out with a 2.5 octave one from an unnamed brand but soon felt I was missing out. The possibility to tweak a lot of parameters from the Kontrol MK2 whilst recording made it a worthwhile investment.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Nektarine Browser Plugin Library - https://nektartech.com/download/nektarine-browser-plugin-library/
    Spire=Yes - Phase Plant=No
    Here is the list of currently supported plugins:

Absynth
    Ace
    BassStation
    Bazille
    Bolt
    Chromaphone 2
    CrX4
    Curve 2
    Diva
    Diversion
    Dune
    ElektraX
    Fabfilter One
    Fabtilter Twin
    FM8
    Gladiator
    Helix
    Hive
    ImpOscar2
    kHs ONE
    Kontakt 5
    Kontour
    Largo
    LittleOne
    Lokomotiv
    M1
    Massive
    MicroTonic
    MonoPoly
    MS-20
    Omnisphere
    Polysix
    PPG Wave 3V
    Reaktor6_Kontour
    Reaktor6_Monark
    Reaktor6_Polyplex
    Repro-1
    Repro-5
    Retrologue 2_VST3
    Serum
    Spire 1.1
    Sylenth1
    Synplant
    SynthMaster 2.9 Player
    SynthMaster 2.9
    TAL BassLine 101
    TAL-U-No-LX-V2
    Thorn
    TyrellN6
    Ultra Analog VA-2
    Vstation
    Wavestation
    Zebra
    Zebralette

6. franko22

franko22 Member

i've been playing with ableton for 2 days.. it's too different from fl.. :sad:
    but i want more integration with midi controls etc..

sorry for the little outburst ot..

7. franko22

franko22 Member

(if anyone is interested) i'll write a few lines here.. i would really like a piano-like keyboard, but they are too expensive! and i prefer to stick to synth-type stuff.. i was aiming for studiologic, but it didn't convince me! :dunno: the second choice was komplete a61 "because s61 costs too much".. but i've been trying ableton for a few days "thanks to r2r" :shalom: and even if i suck, i want to stay on this daw! therefore the "few controls" of the a61 did not convince me! tomorrow therefore I will order arturia mk2 or novation 61sl mk3! i will probably choose novation! and since 88 keys are too expensive, and that i will be using it more with synths than pianos i "want to convince myself" that 61 keys is enough! sorry for my bad english! and if anyone uses novation keyboards with ableton well.. his opinions are welcome!

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I can tell you that, most of the times, 61 keys are enough.
    Unless you plan to split the keyboard to use it with different sounds, also, you can have the pads to play notes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. franko22

franko22 Member

i've never tried this.. maybe "if it's possible?" would it be nicer to do it with 2 keyboards? like when in the photos of the studios you see 2 keyboards on top of each other? like the picture he @pcdocstl posted! i thought about the less expensive launchkey 61mk3.. but then i discovered the sl played with ableton in some silly video on youtube, and it looks good, especially as a controller!

10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes, certainly nicer, if you can afford 2 keyboards and have the space for them.
    On the other hand, today it's very easy to make a keyboard control 2 different tracks in your DAW and to define key ranges.
    Think that's no matter how many keyboards you have, you "only" have 10 fingers.

11. fastfingers55

fastfingers55 Rock Star

MIDI keyboard & controller REDUCED.png
    M-AUDIO HAMMER 88 MIDI keyboard
    WORLDE EASY CONTROL 9

I originally had the M-AUDIO Keystation 88 but then accidentally broke the USB connector. So I spent the extra bucks and got the Hammer 88 as an upgrade. The key-bed action is first class and feels very realistic. Took a little getting used to since it feels nothing like the Keystation. Love sitting down to play with this keyboard. My only regret is it is harder to play fast passages since the keys are like a piano. That probably will come with practice. It has minimal controls, in fact I never touch them.

Instead I added a really cheap MIDI controller made by WORLDE. The EASYCONTROL 9 has lots of generic sliders, knobs and touch pads. It all works together with Logic and other MIDI tools I have. The EASYCONTROL comes with pretty useless software for setting control assignments. That is frustrating. Fortunately the default setting work just fine and I'm able to map control elements easily in Logic Pro (my DAW).

12. itsybitsy_

itsybitsy_ Kapellmeister

[​IMG]
    M-Audio Axiom 49: bought in 2007, still working perfectly

13. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Mmmhhh...
    Checking price for Arturia MiniLab MK2 is about 100e, Novation 61SL MK3 is ranging from 500 to 800e depending on sites, quite a huge leap in price.
    However as I already stated, you can buy a decent digital weighted piano (88keys) for less than 400e and another (cheap) MIDI controller/pad.

14. franko22

franko22 Member

hi @orbitbooster, ARTURIA KeyLab MkII 61 Black 530euro and NOVATION 61SL MkIII 600euro.. i don't know about brands etc.. i'm learning to play the piano with a yamaha clp765 "if i'm not mistaken".. i don't know, but if you recommend a midi keyboard\piano with that type of keys, tactile sensation, etc.. to be combined with a launchpad "I don't think I would buy a different controller for the pad" and a controller with knobs, faders, transport etc.. decent and compatible with ableton, all for about 500-600 euros well.. any advice pleases me!

15. Gmartin

Gmartin Member

If you are thinking of using Ableton live, the best option is Novation launchkey mk3 (61 or 88 keys). The integration is full and complete.
    Launchkey 88 = 395€

16. DonaldTwain

DonaldTwain Kapellmeister

M-Audio Oxygen 88 for my main one, Donner DMK-25 for a portable 25-key mini one.

I also have an Akai Mini Mk2, but I HATE that they have a joystick for pitch and modulation because it's next to impossible to use if you only want to record in just one of those functions. The Donner one has a touch strip for both which I love, plus faders, knobs and pads. The Oxygen was because I've seen Guy Mitchelmore use it in his videos (right before he got Komplete 88 *eyeroll*) but also because it has weighted keys, non-motorized faders, and I got it secondhand for about £100 - a real bargain!

• List
  17. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Looking for the best weighted keybed, I've played more than 20 different weighted keyboards over the years.

Disclaimer: I don't think there is the one best because like with piano sounds, it can be so much a matter of taste.
    I've also tried the Kawai MP11SE that friends recommended to me for its super realistic piano action but didn't like the muddy feel at all, as exciting as the mechanics look on paper.
    I also don't like the weighted keyboard action on the Nords (and I know, many love them!).
    Most Yamahas and Casios felt much better but in the end, I've stuck with the Kurzweil K2500XS because it felt like the sweet spot between piano feel, "directness" and playing speed.
    I also enjoyed it the most when playing (sampled) instruments like grand or electric pianos, vibraphones or drums.
    I'm still trying new keyboards here and there because you never know, there might be a better one out next...

For synth action, my personal preference is on the Roland XP-60/80. A good, solid and reliable keybed if you're not plagued by the red glue of death syndrome that didn't happen on mine.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Unless you are playing classical , taking lessons from an old school teacher or reading from sheet music and even then most of the time 61 keys is more than enough. If you are composing or for leads you are not going to need the extreme ranges a full keyboard. Only issues is some programs with key-switches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. clone

clone Audiosexual

61 is nearly perfect to play. 49 with oct up/down button is great for writing in your DAW. I would take an 88 over a 61 if the price is almost the same; as they often are very close at the bigger versions. It's more board for the money but will often resell better, especially if shipping is not involved. Another thing to consider is the size of your desk and/or it's keyboard tray size. The jump from 61 to 88 is often that tiny bit much for the available space for it, with little playability gain on the upside. Guess I like them all, even my one 25 key. :)

20. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

And that can often be handled with a cheap 2 octave controller..
    Even better if it has decent mod wheel and can be placed conveniently (on or above) left side as additional keyswitching and / extra controller.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List