what midi keyboard do you use?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by franko22, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Kapellmeister

KX88 Still the best after 30 years. Plays like the day it was made.
    Find one at a very reasonable price.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

The keybed for the Prokeys 88 i had by M-Audio was really fine, think they were semi-weighted and you had to get used to the weight.

I was sceptically about the Alesis ones, as i heard that the keys feel very flat, also not like you want to touch them as they are cheap produced. So decided against them after watching and reading a few reviews.

About the Arturia ones i also heard that the build quality is crazy bad sometimes, several comments i found about things breaking inclusing keys with normal easy use, but nothing about the support not wanting to send parts.

One mention about Roland: I couldnt get the Roland A800Pro to work on notebook as i was offline only when i have access to the A800Pro, so i mailed the support and told them and if they have a solution. They packed the windows driver for win10 in a zip and send to me in less than 36h. This was very helpful. With newer Win10 version drivers for A800Pro were included with windows. They have no additional software as the settings are easy set via the control on it.

But about the drivers and software you made a good call. The Xboard's Software does no longer work on win10, so i have no longer easy control of velocity and MIDI CC, i know this could be done on the Xboard, but its painful to do so.
    So i wouldnt also invest in something, which is expensive as 88 keys with a good quality ...

May I ask, what kind of music you are working on? Whats your genre? For example i have never needed more than 5 octaves for EDM music, ofc soundtrack/classic stuff easily needed 88 keys. Maybe this makes the decision easier?

3. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I use Reaper now I used to use Cubase. There is a scrip on youtube that makes the setup easy to control reaper via the function keys.
    I have tested it with many DAW and they all work fine with it.

4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Sorry I did understand your comment you said it was just ok. I found the key feel really crappy also.
    I am not saying the AKAI is in the league of the Fatar but it is better to me.

5. franko22

franko22 Member

@SineWave https://www.vintagesynth.com/kurzweil/k2000.php <<< just took a quick look.. it's beautiful! does it also work as a midi controller?

i don't have specific genres.. but i'm oriented towards keyboards more similar to the piano.. but unfortunately keyboards of this kind are really too expensive.. i'm oriented towards arturia, native instruments and studiologic ""for now""... but I accept all opinions!

6. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

To answer to your thread question, I happily use Casio CDP 130 + external midi controllers.

Its sound engine is mediocre like most cheap pianos, but I don't use it cause I'm connected via MIDI to virtual pianos, and the weighted keybed is exceptional for its price (about 300 euros).

Heavy on downweight key, perfect for studying, no "spring feeling" like M-audio or other semi-weighted keybeds, very precise and linear dynamics (tested with MIDI-OX before buying).

Problem is, is probably out of production, however if you can get one CDP I think the keybed should be same or better.

Still, if you're interested in studying piano, I don't suggest the PX-S series, nicer in design, but lighter in downweight key and it seems that black keys are unbalanced respect white keys.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Launchkey MK3... amazing little thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Free Agent

Free Agent Platinum Record

m audio keystation 61es

9. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I use my synth keyboards: 49 note Hydrasynth for poly aftertouch and ribbon control, 61 note KingKorg for wider range and the MiniFreak for the Buchla-style keyboard with poly aftertouch as well as the ribbon.
    The Behringer Odyssey keyboard does not get used as it and the performance controls are sh1t:(

10. Dr. Floyd

Dr. Floyd Member

Arturia Keylab 88 MK I for live play & and Arturia 88 MKII at home as MIDI controllers (Of course there is a big difference regarding DAW & VST´s control, they have improved the I a lot with the II) but anyway I also make use of hardware synths to play some VST´s because I prefer to use a semi-weighted or unweighted keyboard to play some things like a classical synth VST emulation or an organ for example, a fully weighted keyboard is not the best option in all instances...
    Fully weighted are of course the most useful option if you play a lot piano sounds (Acoustic or electric)
    The Arturia and Native Instruments 88 keys have the same Keyboard in my knowlege (Of course a StudioLogic/Fatar model, which is always a good thing). I really like much more the Arturia as I do not use too much Sampled libraries, if so and of course for Kontakt lovers the NI models are much more usefull..

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Behringer motor 61.. recommended from the Pirate.. I love it .. it's semi weighted and I got a really good price for it

• List
  12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have a Native Instruments M32 Komplete Kontrol keyboard on my desktop that I primarily use for generating ideas and doing things quickly, and is the main controller I use in keyboard form factor. I also have a Push 2 on my desk top that I use for drumming, sequencing, and so on in Ableton.

Then, on a pull out drawer just under my desk, I have a Behringer Motor 49. This is what I use for mixing if I need it as it has motorised faders and endless encoders that are quite nice to work with during this phase of production.

I then have a Yamaha 88 weighted key digital piano with USB MIDI on the side of my desk that I use for wider octave range or if I am playing piano or toying with ideas that are more musical than your run of the mill tech house and techno type of stuff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

2 StudioLogic / SL 88 Grand. They replaced 2 Arturia 88 MKII (for me they were badly built)

14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I have finally got my midi setup how I want it. It consists of an Arturia Minilab mk3, Akai Midimix, Novation Launchpad Pro mk3, Roland R8 Drum Machine and Korg SDD2000 delay. I also have a 61 key Yamaha Digital Piano that doesn't get used much any more but still kept for nostalgia more than anything.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

NI KK S49. no complaints.

16. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Nocturn 25/49, Hydrasynth Explorer

17. MdB

MdB Guest

doesnt fruit loops come with a playskool keyboard already ? :unsure:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. johnw

johnw Kapellmeister

Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 (very light, goes well with my PC and my MacBook Air ... And before that Korg Triton Pro ...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  19. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

My copy was bundled with two keyboards

keyboard.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  20. Gmartin

Gmartin Member

Novation Launchkey 88 Mk3 + Launchpad X.
    Full integration with Ableton Live.