what midi keyboard do you use?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by franko22, Mar 6, 2023.

1. franko22

franko22 Member

hi everybody, how are you? here in italy it's already starting to get quite hot! :disco:

soon i'll buy a midi keyboard, to be used "mainly" with fl studio..
    i'd like 88 keys, but decent ones cost a lot!

what midi keyboard do you use? do you use it together with other controllers? what keyboard would you like to have?

3. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

M-Audio Keystation 88 MK3
    I have the mk2, not the best, but gets the job done when needed.
    I also have Arturia Minilab mk2, which has all the knobs and whistles for automation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Le Steak

Le Steak Ultrasonic

Komplete Kontrol S88 here. Works like a charm, good keyboard, lots of possibilities althought I haven't used all functions by now. I also hesitate to buy an Arturia Keylab 49 MK2 for quick synth lines and easier integration with V Collection 9. If there are anyone using this one here, I also have a quick question: I know the integration with Analog Lab is very good, but has the Keylab automatic controls binding with individual Arturia synths like OB, JUP or JUNO?

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. franko22

franko22 Member

hi @BEAT16 i don't have a precise limit, i still have to think about it! the Arturia KeyLab Essential is relatively cheap, and also has pads, knobs etc.. but i'd be more oriented towards a keyboard with more "pianos" and separate midi controllers for pads and daw controls..

hey @Legotron nice keyboard.. are you comfortable with 88 keys? what daw do you use it with?

hi @Le Steak.. i really like your keyboard, but 1000euro is a lot! and i also have a question about the Arturia Keylab MK2! i'm curious if it integrates well with KOMPLETE KONTROL SOFTWARE!?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2023
  6. Kyunghee

Kyunghee Member

Studiologic SL73 Studio, I use it both for learning (and playing) piano and as a keyboard for general midi purpose. I

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I have 3:

- Old E-MU Xboard 25 - which i can use with hardware synths. (that was on the market around 2005)

- Roland A800 Pro, which has 61 keys and a few more features, also the keys feel very good. Was 300€

- Akai LPK25, thats a small portable cheap Laptop keyboard, which is perfect for traveling, if you just need something to input MIDI and need no MIDI OUT/IN, then its just perfect, was 36€

and two Hardware Synths, which also have MIDI OUT, so i could use them as midi Keyboards, they both have fantastic plastic keybeds.

Which number of keys the best for me?
    the 61 keys are quite good for strings/Pads, piano works, as you could play it quite good.
    I had a M-Audio Prokeys 88 10 years ago, but was way to big and had just to many keys, which i never used, for me 61 keys is enough if i really want to play in wide space MIDI data.

What else do i use/have?
    I have a Launchpad, but i dont really use it, as i found clicking drum pattern in by mouse works better for me. I found out my timing on clicking and playing is quite bad and i would need to grind those tutorials a lot to get a better timing.
    Also Ableton crashed a few times having Launchpad and a MIDI keyboard connected and switching in between, this demotivated me even more to use it. Launchpad for the color lights is a super WIN and thats why i keep it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  8. franko22

franko22 Member

excuse my english by google.. i meant i would like a piano style keyboard better, even without controls.. i would get separate ones if i felt the need!
    hi @Kyunghee.. the 88 version is one of my probable choices.. could you tell me which daw you use it with, how you feel with the 3 Stick controllers and if you feel comfortable with it? of course if you feel like it!..

thanks @ArticStorm for your time.. i would love the launchpad too, but my multitasking sucks as much as my english! :thumbsup: do you really feel better with 61 keys?

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

A reminder of what OP is asking: "what MIDI keyboard do you USE"
    He is not asking for a list of links...
    Tell what you use, or used, and why, so your comment will be useful.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

M-Audio sells cheap 88 keys keyboards. My son have one, I tried it, and if you really don't mind the "spring feeling" of the keys, it could be an option.
    A little bit more expensive, I also could try an 88 key Alesis the Q 88 mk2, it was much better. (Around 200€)
    Obviously, we're not talking about real piano feel of course, because there is no cheap good weighted keyboards.

About completing it with an external controller, it's a good idea, it's what I do now, and there is a big choice. Also you can use from different brand than the keyboard. And keyboard with only few controls are much cheaper.

Side note: I also wanted an 88 key controller, but after investigating a lot, trying several ones, I found that to have a descent one, prices where too high for the benefit, IMHO. So I ended with a 61 key.
    I also took this decision because, brands after some times, stop updating drivers, they don't send parts etc.. So its easy ro be left with an expansive piece of gear that could work but don't.
    I have an Aturia, that should / could be working, if they sent just one part that is broken, but they don't want to... So I didn't wanted to invest so much this time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Adam Fietz

Adam Fietz Noisemaker

Yamaha KX88

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

AKAI MpK 261. I was going to go for the Akai 88 key one but then I decided that 61 keys was enough. It's been good and I enjoy It's USB powered so no wall wart.
    using it. Had it about 3 years now.
    I like that is has pads and and knobs to control midi vst and gear. Also it has stop and start, record functions.
    It is close in feel to my D-50 that I liked and was using as a controller.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If you'd like a good piano keyboard and a good MIDI controller, you should probably buy both separately. Judging by your demands, maybe a Native Instruments cheapest but big keyboard and a Behringer X-touch compact or X-touch would be a good combo for you. Otherwise, Arturia Keylab or Akai MPK are very solid controllers, nicely built and the only all in one solution I would go with. The feeling of the controls is important. I see how I like the feeling of my Akai MPD32 and Novation Remote 37SL. I use mainly M-Audio Keystation 49 for quick laying down tracks and Kurzweil K2000 for when I need a keyboard with nice feeling. I also have a Behringer BCR2000 on the side for when I want to program my hardware synths. Such a good controller just for that. So many knobs! :) but they don't feel as good as MPD32 or Remote SL's.

Fatar keyboards have some of the best keybeds, but not very versatile midi controllers. NI uses Fatar keybeds. Quite a few better manufacturers do.

I would also recommend you to consider 61 keys. It is an industry standard. lol if you care about those. No, in this case 5 octave keybed is rightfully so imho.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Do you use any of these? I'm interested in your experience. Are the curves actualized? Which system and saw do you use?

15. franko22

franko22 Member

hi @Olymoon.. i had made the same considerations, but even from 61 they seem to cost a lot! which one do you like at 61 keys?

hi @SineWave, thanks for this info! what do you think about Studiologic SL Studio?

16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes, Aruria's keyboard also integrates with each synth plugin from them.
    But as I stated before, not much of support after sale...

17. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Not a weighted keyboard, but for me it's ok. I bought an Alexis
    Alesis V61 MKII 120 €. Not much controls with it, but the synth feel is good. 4 knobs + 8 pads.
    And at this price, I won't cry when they stop making drivers or if it stop working because it misses a part.
    Unfortunately that's what brands are gaining with their bad service policy. I would prefer to by an expansive professional very good one, if I'd be confident that the brand would give professional service and it would last enough...

And I added a Korg Nano kontroller mk2, which works well, but I don't recommend as it gives a lot of driver problems, even from one win 10 version to another win 10 version. Old known problems that appeared before win 10 was dropped, but again, Korg is doing nothing to solve it.

• List
  18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have a Yamaha S90 ES also. I don't use it much but if I want a real keyboard / Piano feel that is my go to. The AKAI is a beater keyboard daily use one. I agree Fatar keyboards are great but the Yamaha is very close to a real piano from what I was told by real keyboard players.

19. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I tried a M-Audio 88 no offense to you but I hated it. You are correct in the springiness. It felt really cheap. To me it was worse than a $100 Yamaha PS series keyboard.

20. franko22

franko22 Member

It looks nice! which daw do you use?

21. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

You misunderstood my comment, I didn't like it either. That's why I said:
    :winker: