What MIDI controller

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by rosko, Dec 31, 2018.

1. rosko

rosko Ultrasonic

Just ordered a Novation Peak. I'm also in need of a new midi keyboard/controller. I'm currently looking at the new Novation slMK3 (I have the mk2) the NI S61mk2 & the Nektar Panorama.

I have lots of vst synths & ableton & just the peak & a waldorf waveXT my DAW is Live I also have a keystep & a push2.

I like the look of how the Nektar works with software synths but i'm not confident of the build quality plus it doesn't have & sequencer & fancy key lights.
    The NI looks great but i assume works best with NI & Arturia products, also no seq.
    The Slmk3 looks good but im not sure how well it works with software.

Anyone have any of these, any advice?

3. Dominik Kersting

Dominik Kersting Newbie

If you only want a minimalistic but really good Controller i can recommend the Icon Keyboard 5X, great building Quality, easy system integration and overall great Price.

Got it for Christmas and i'm more than happy

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i guees its ok...
    go for an old midi controller or arturia cause them have still midi out ...or the more expensive ones...eg novation

5. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Also consider your needs for:

* Aftertouch (poly pressure) ?
    * Key weighting... light (synth action) , medium (general styles) , weighted (piano style)
    * Mechanical key noise... personally for me I prefer quiet key depressions + quiet key returns. Play keys rapidly, with no audio generated, listen how they perform.

6. rosko

rosko Ultrasonic

Yes to all of those although i know i will have to make concessions as i want knobs & sliders & keep it under £600. The fatar keybed in the mk2 isn't that great but i could live with it.

7. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

Novation slMK3

8. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have an Akai mpk2 61 I like it a lot. but I know pro keyboard players like the fatar keyboard.
    Like I like my strat in playing.
    Fatar keybeds are really good. The Akai is nice. It does everything i want it to.