what master keyboard do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by lysergyk, Jun 21, 2011.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

as I moved home, I need to get a new master keyboard and I have found three that are rather cheap but apparently good MIDI keyboard
    has anyone here ever tried em or do you have any comment?

I intend to use it with omnisphere, EWQLXPpro and trillian mainly (also maybe with superior drummer once and a while)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7004824847
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7196492486
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4388466591

also choosing the right keyboard depending on one's needs is not always an easy thing so do do you have any recommendation?
    have you tried some "exotic" keyboards (i mean by that unknown brands...that sometimes happen to be surprisingly good!)

thanks for your input *yes*
    (and just to mention it, this is no flame thread, it's just about YOUR experience with a given piece of gear)

3. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

keys are the most important thing... i wouldn't go with cheap ones.

M-Audio Axiom is okay and not very expensive.

4. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep I agree, and I have tried one of the origin in shanghai today, but they only had the one with 25 keys...
    it was actually quite good...not like hammer action touch keys ofc but it was...synth like and quite enough for my needs...
    I ask the question here cuz I dunno what the miditech is like ...I've just read here and there that it was a
    decent keyboard with a very good quality / price ratio....and it's even cheaper! lol

the axiom which I tried today, is to me no better than the origin, especially considering its price/quality..you
    pay to have M-audio written on it IMO

I'm not on a budget at all but i'm not a real piano player either, I play the guitar first and foremost, so it's only
    to use with synth, FXs etc...I guess I'll end up buying the origin61 unless someone has a better suggestion

actually it's a brand from taiwan called Da Hong 大宏 (ou ta hrong in taiwan)...but I reckon these brands are pretty
    unknown overseas..as the other one is actually chinese
    http://www.tahorng.com.tw/midikeyboard.htm

5. bigberg3k

bigberg3k Newbie

I would suggest a keyboard/midi controller combo that way you get analog type hardware synth sounds which sometimes are better than VST sounds. Like the http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MM6/
    or a http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Venom...they also have an interface built in... I use a Korg M361 and LOVE it..but of course your MOX6/motif, Roland Juno's are good options too...

I may go 88 key next time to extend my drum sound options/ via "NI Battery" and octave range...

6. Detritus777

Detritus777 Newbie

Hmm, I wouldn't say that VSTi's are "less analog" than any digital synthesizer. There are of course big differences on D/A converters. If you have a top-class soundcard for your PC/Mac it should be on par or better than any digital synthesizer - IMHO.

I use an Ensoniq VFX as a masterkeyboard. It has a nice respose and the aftertouch is great.

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Axiom 49 Pro here.

Great keyboard, the keys are a little thick and heavy, but i suppose u get used to it. Also driver support on 7 X64 could be better.

Nice heavy duty board tho.

8. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

I use 2 main boards

1 : M Audio Keystation Pro 88 - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Oct04/articles/keystation.htm

Pro 88 For Studio sessions

2 : Oberheim MC 1000 http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/_inc/picview.cfm?synthid=1303

MC 1000 For Live use

Both 88 Keys weighted.

9. bigberg3k

bigberg3k Newbie

The point is you get more sounds to work with, than a regular midi keyboard, unless your a very good expressive piano player it doesn't really matter...

I use a Mackie 1640i digital/analog mixing board as an interface... I also have a CME 61 midi controller thats good too...

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Since I consider buying an Axiom Pro, could anybody give me his experiences using it with Ableton Live? Does everything work as claimed by M-Audio?
    I've read some older posts in other forums, and some said the non-Pro Axiom would work better with Live (especially the pads, buttons and some convenience functions).

11. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

fiction, just reg on m-audio forum and download handmade patches/presets for the program you working with for your keys.
    also should be found on ableton forum/support page...

Cubase never had build-in presets for M-Audio's stuff, but people posted a lot presets on Cubase forum.

anyway, it's better to do everything by yourself.

12. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

Motif es6/Yamaha DX7 no time for presets I use hardware most of the time I had an axiom 25 that I used w/Ableton Live... sucked gave to my buddy :bleh:

13. fico

fico Newbie

I use the Akai MPK49. It's a fantastic controller. I miss the automap function that Novation line has and the Pro Tools control of the M-audio line and others. But this is a robust keyboard with a lot of knobs, faders and buttons, with layers, MPC like pads, arpegiator and note repeat. Amazing!

Check it out.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK49

14. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

As far as an Axiom in live, works great as long as its not an Axiom Pro, which tends to make the Live process un-closable if it crashes, and requires a reboot, also, hyper-control for Live 8 is less than effective with an Axiom Pro....

Regular Axiom controllers don't have these issues... just my luck i bought the more expensive model .. right?

15. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

lol yeah I often feel that nowadays companies sell us "beta" products that we pay full price for and we eventually help them to reach their final product by complaining, asking for upgrades and updates!!....finger crossed for my new master keyb crafted by Taiwanese forgery experts, hope they only used the best of M-audio! (the midiplus origin 61 is clearly "inspired" by the oxygen 61):rofl:

16. h3240704

h3240704 Newbie

I use the KorgMicroKEY

17. google

google Newbie

m audio axiom feel like crap on the fingers

Novation SL all the way - Fatar key on it

mostly all midi keyboards are crap felling, i'm no keyboard player. but for the love of god try a novation sl in a shop

18. google

google Newbie

on a budget Cakewalk A500S didn't feel too bad

you want to feel good while smashing out a bassline :) :) Novation SL :)

19. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

I use the Alesis Micron just because I bought it before I ever used a DAW. Now I use it just for midi.

I like it, suits my needs fine, major drawback is it only has 2 sliders and 3 knobs. The knobs are shit too :rofl:

20. bseos

bseos Newbie

BEHRINGER UMX610 here.
    Cheap USB/Midi controller that does the job well. Only con is no semi weighted keys, however the keys still feel great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Newbie

I started with using my Alesis QS 6.2 synth as a MIDI controller, but now I use the Roland/Cakewalk A500-Pro. The keys are decent enough and the ability to use it to control other DAW functions was a selling point as I am on a shoestring budget.