What kind of bass and bells are and how to make it

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Nini, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Nini

Nini Newbie

Hey guys!

The song at the beginning of bass with bells that slowly rise.
    I can not understand that bass is .. even if they are or it's another sound.
    Same thing for the bells.

Synth? Nexus? VST?

I hope you have already heard these sounds :unsure:

3. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

The bass is a Reese-type bass with portamento/slide and a heavy LPF filter. Might be from any softsynths, no need for a special one. But Serum or Massive will get you there faster. The slidey character of this bassline is 80% of it's charm imo. So try this first, if you dont know how to quickly form a basical reese bass just pick some reese presets (un-modulated, you need a linear sound for this), then tweak it by ear to match original sound and filter it! Nothing more really!

About the bells, can't really help you, might be anything. Softsynths bells, resampled bells, resampled into softsynths... But they are pretty classic too! There is this Trap-ish feels in them though. Again, any synths can do this!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. Nini

Nini Newbie

Thanks so much man! :thanks:
    I used the preset "Reese Bass 2" on Sylenth1 and the sound it is practically the same.
    But another question: when i play the notes the sound it's not like the song cause it seems there is a resonance. Example: the sound does not "whooooooom" but does "whooouououououom"

I hope you understand

5. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

just LoLololol :hahaha::rofl:

6. Nini

Nini Newbie

:hillbilly:
    sorry but I do not know if I can make myself understood,
    however, I settled with other settings. Also moog bass is fine

Thanks a lot:shalom:

7. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Well :rofl: With this description it look like the preset you have is actually adding some modulation and you need to remove them (apart the possible modulation your preset have to create the reese effect which is a mod too), search for osc modulation, LFO, hertz settings... But it's too blur to answer more than that! :bleh:

Glad we helped you anyway! Keep in mind that it's normal to not match a sound 100%. First because it's just not possible for millions reasons (at least for most non-oversimple sounds) and also, depending of genre/sound guy behind it, big parts of the character of a sound come from the mix too, not the actual sound design! Try to match this too. A bass like this might have very subtle phaser, moving mono-filter, and very probably heavy well handled compression mixed at low channel level, you'll also probably need to accentuate the frequency character of this bass, ie cutting very highs/highs, reduce sub, boost bass and cut 250-350 region slightly, tweak mediums/high meds to taste/mix, there is more but the more precise the advices are getting the less inspiration you'll take from recreating such sounds, especially for this kind of modulated basses, an infinite world.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017